Your favorite writers

duanja

What is your favorite writer?

and is there a special book that you keep with you everywhere you go?

My favorite writer : Hermann Hesse, Thich Nhat Hahn (as a zen poet), Milan Kundera

My Special book : Siddhartha

I am curious coz I need to give a presentation one of British or American author in order to validate my English skills, and then I realize that I don't read British- American much.

I don't read that much anymore .. but before I read a lot. American authors I loved to read were John Updike and Jerzy Kosinzky (I think I read all his books, the movie 'being there' with Peter Sellers is from his hand). And I also loved the' South-American writers as Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Mario Vargas Llosa to name the most known and famous ones.

Richard Bach, Messiah's Handbook

I read the Illusions in Thai, and the Jonathan Livingstons Seagull since I was teenage and totally forgot about them.

I plan to present Oscar Wilde. His life is interesting.

The problem is I read just The Picture of Dorian Gray, but not any of his plays.

Maybe I switch to Richard Bach...at least I read two pieces of his works.

Bravo...Bach is American.

I'm studying japanese culture that s why I love japanese writers n fictions.

:D The best in my mind is Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn. There are three book in set. Check it out ! http://www.reviewsofbooks.com/tales_of_the_otori/

Books of Babana Yoshimoto take occupy big space on my shelf. :shock: Just find out some books with same writer and title printed in US are cheaper than made in Japan. Poor me! I bough most of Yoshimoto s books aleady.

Otsuichi made great works about crime and suspense. His works are considered " Violence "' But I found they are so awesome.. You can try " Goth" and ' "Natsu to Hanabi to Watashi no shitai "

Patriotrism by Yukio Mishima made me feel sick in stomach about the story of a man commit suicide by harakiri. :( Someone said, Mishima made his story be real by his commit harakiri.

J-books translated in Thai and many of english books are available to read for free at Japan Foundation, Sermmit Tower :D

Oscar Wilde,"the importance of being Earnest" it's a good play on words, and an easy play to read (no play on words intended with "play")

You can't go wrong with John Stienbeck (American Classic) simple read in terms of vocabulary but intense character development. Cannery Row is good because its a novella like Siddhartha, and a quick read.

Cheers!!

Dre

In no real order

1) Evelyn Waugh, esepcially Brideshead Revisited though perhaps u have to be catholic to really get it

2) Anthony Powell, the series A Dance to The Music of Time

3) Tolstoy, anything he wrote

4) Jane Austen, on this at least my daughter and i agree

5) TS Eliot, The Wasteland

6)Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird

One of the greatest things about literature is that we can each like different things and none of us are wrong.

• 5 weeks later...

I love reading George Orwell. His writing style is so humble. Down and out in paris is brilliant. Keep the Aspidistra flying is also an excellent read although it is just downright miserable.

I also re-read Iain Banks' The Wasp Factory which is still a great read.

Ma Jian is also a writer i like to read. Red Dust took me a while, and a couple of tries to get into but once into it, it is a fantastic read.

• 5 months later...

Recently,

Platform by Michel Houelllebecq

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

Less Recently:

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Light in August by William Faulkner

V by Thomas Pynchon

The Red Queen by Matt Ridley

The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

My Secret History (and anything else by Paul Theroux)

Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov

A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipaul

Power by Robert Greene

Between Meals by A.J. Leibling

Turn of the Century By Kurt Anderson

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

Independence Day by Richard Ford

American Tabloid by James Ellroy

The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas Kuhn

Out on the Rim by Ross Thomas

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe

and of course, the essential primer for all Bangkok Expats:

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

I plan to present Oscar Wilde. His life is interesting.

The problem is I read just The Picture of Dorian Gray, but not any of his plays.

Maybe I switch to Richard Bach...at least I read two pieces of his works.

Bravo...Bach is American.

The importance of being Earnest is perfect, he's incredibly funny.

http://www.hoboes.com/html/FireBlade/Wilde/earnest/

Lane (the butler). .... I have often observed that in married households the champagne is rarely of a first-rate brand.

Algernon (sir). Good heavens! Is marriage so demoralising as that?

Lane. I believe it IS a very pleasant state, sir. I have had very little experience of it myself up to the present. I have only been married once. That was in consequence of a misunderstanding between myself and a young person.

Algernon. [Languidly.] I don?t know that I am much interested in your family life, Lane.

Lane. No, sir; it is not a very interesting subject. I never think of it myself.

Yeah....I read it last year. Pretty Tingtong guys and girls in there.

The King Rama VI (Phra Mongkut Klao Chaoyuhua) ? His majesty written many short stories, plays, novels and translated a few plays of Shakespeare.

Oscar Wilde

John Irving

S.P somtow (Thai)

Nivate Gunthairath (Thai)

John Irwing, absolutely! 'Cider House Rules' - amazing!

Other of my own favourites: Hemingway, Steinbeck, Jack London, Dostojevskij, Nevil Shute, Joseph Heller, Elia Kazan and many many more...

• 1 month later...

Book: Vernon God Little

Author: DBC Pierre

Best written novel I have ever read, every word adds something. No empty words. Along the lines of a dark satire like Fight Club and other Chuck Palahniuk but much better written. I have had people from 18 to 50 read it and say that is said that they it spoke to them and when they were in situations like the main character was in, which is what writing is, relfecting something back to people and have it connect with everyone.