Kanchanaburi

Alexx

Question

I went to Kan'buri the other weekend and found it a grim town, with the mangiest dogs I have *ever* seen (and that's saying a lot), and dry yellow yellow landscape (not the lush green landscape I've come to expect in Thailand!). My work is meant to have a meeting here next month but I'm inclined to suggest we go elsewhere as I thought the town was so ugh.

Has anyone else had a better experience? Any places/tours/companies you recommend in particular?

If we go, we'll be staying at a resort outside of Kan'buri, so it should be bearable. We have to have a one-day team activity, and I was thinking of a cooking course (anyone done the Apple course?) or maybe just going out to Erawan falls (which are beautiful). Anyone got any suggestions for this?

Cheers!

5 answers to this question

kanchanaburi has a grim history so i don't mind it being a grim looking town

when i see k'buri, i think of the tens of thousands of war dead that worked on the death railroad that runs thru the town

hua hin/cha am is a great place if you want to get away from the bars

good beaches, good resorts, good golf courses, what more do you want in a town?

the evason at pranburi (about 20 klms south of hua hin) is fantastic

i only ever been to Kanchanaburi to play golf at the Blue Sapphire Golf Course - good course, and one time for 4x4 Off Roading.

Only stayed at the golf course, rooms were alright, but a bit dull for a group of people in a meeting.

Hotels ...... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=River+Kwai+Resort

Other than that, sorry, can't be of much help!

I found the town to be much nicer than you say, but I guess we just differ on that point.

However, the town proper is not where I care to be. There's a place in Kanchanaburi called Erawan, which is a bit of a hike (and 2 boat rides) from the town proper. It's a gorgeous place that's half jungle/half bamboo forest and truly one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. It's most famous for its waterfalls, which are truly gorgeous. They have 7 levels, and from one end to another is a good hike. You can also swim in a few of them. There are large houses for rent up there, and this would be a great place to have a company outing. I was taken there by one of my client companies and we had quite the time there.

Kanchanaburree in thai means" GoldenLand" bcoz this place is the land of natural resources richly. Many places in Kanchanaburi that you can visit have more than 7 National open parks..Pls go to www.forestry.or.th(in english version)

You can see all places more than just Arawan waterfall and can book the place to stay it's cheapper than Hotel or resort.

For single house down to river or up to high moutain just 500-1500 b/ day.

But I suggest you should to stay at raft on the river. Lots raft for rent at SaiYok Water fall, 1000-2500 b/day..you can stay 10-15 persons on raft over the river close to waterfall and can swin or fishing in SaiYok Yai river.

I love to go there bcoz I like outdoor living in deep forest. I like go to Tongpapuem National Park close to Burma just 10 kms. far from. Full of small vill. of small hill Tribe from Burma and not easy to go there just ride on good 4WDs car only.Camping on grond without nothing just listen wildbeast singing.

Lots UnforSeen in Kanchanaburi Province. Select one.