English Grammar

MichaelGray

I think both english and thai rammar aren't all that complicated. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I know everything but believe me when I say dutch & german grammar is more complicated, look at verbs for example. small examples on how they're put

english:

I go ? you go - we go

Thai

phom pai - khoon pai - rao pai

Actually, it's not that simple R. Win, because there are a lot more than 3 tenses in English. :? Eg: I am going - we are going are more commonly used than the simple present tense "I go", but the application is different. One may say "I go on Saturday," (meaning it is my usual practise), but I would say, "I am going today," or " I am going on Saturday," meaning next Saturday.

Some would put it at 17 English tenses. (http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/tenses)

This is why lots of Europeans don't get it right and Asians have even more trouble.

One interesting site is this one: http://www.englishtenseswithcartoons.com

Also, for general speech, I believe one need not say "pom/chan or khun"; it is generally omitted unless the meaning is unclear. Eg. "Bpai nai?" "Bpai Chatuchak krup/ka."

As for Dutch, I leave it to you to explain... ;)

English is clear as mud!!!

Believe me, english grammar is still much less complicated than german, dutch or french.

In your example above you would have, in english:

I am going, you are going, he is going, we are going, they are going;

In french, for example, that would translate to:

J'irais, Tu iras, vous irez (vous is plural of 'tu'), il ira, nous irons, ils iront.

What more, in french you have masculine and feminine nouns, e.g.,

une voiture (a car is a feminine noun);

un vagin (a vagina is a masculine noun, no kidding).

It's even worse in german where you also have neutral nouns.

• 2 years later...
I've always been amazed that that people who want to learn the English language have to go through the ordeal of learning the grammar, why the frack is that I wonder :?: I never had to. :)

I've met many non-native speakers of English (a good few in Thailand) & in many cases their conversation skills are poor. :roll: Less emphasis on grammar & more on speaking is my prescription.

grammar is very impotent, but it's about how you go about in teaching it, if you say to the class 'ok, now we are going to learn the present perfect continuous/ progressive' or 'grammar time kids'

you'll get a lot of trouble looking kids or broad looks.

teach them without them knowing they are learning grammar, I normally give them a title relating to the grammar point i.e "How long have you been doing that"

present perfect continuous/ progressive "I + have + been + Verb ING + time expression.

Show them the question to get an present perfect continuous/ progressive answer i.e "how long have you been... riding a motorbike?" etc

i get them to write 5-10 sentences so you can check their understanding.

then get them to write questions to ask each other.

IMHO this is one of the major problems in Thai school that Thai English teachers they don't speak much English, and i know teachers with Master degrees who can barely string a sentence together.

grammar is very impotent, but it's about how you go about in teaching it, if you say to the class 'ok, now we are going to learn the present perfect continuous/ progressive' or 'grammar time kids'

IMHO this is one of the major problems in Thai school that Thai English teachers they don't speak much English, and i know teachers with Master degrees who can barely string a sentence together.

This is a joke post, right?

I'm sorry, is grammar important or is it impotent?

Be careful of those trouble looking kids and their broad looks...

(And be careful you don't use any capital letters)

This is a joke post, right?

I'm sorry, is grammar important or is it impotent?

Be careful of those trouble looking kids and their broad looks...

(And be careful you don't use any capital letters)

They do do do don't they?

• 4 months later...
English is now a day international language and that why this is intended to speak everywhere and grammar play an important roll in speaking that why always teacher start tense or grammer to start speak English dallmeier electronic

Here we have some flaws in grammar and orthography, let alone the syntax....

Oh, and your link that obviously is not connected to the topic, does not work, by the way!

Edited by kaunitz

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...