Can Liverpool make it a 3 team race?

chrispilok

Liverpool is only 7 points behind Chelsea now although chelsea have a game to play. I hope the reds can make it a 3 team race. With all of chelsea's injuries I think it's possible.

Also, what do you think of Dirk Kuyt?

I'm starting to be very impressed with him. At the start of the season I thought he was a step slow. Maybe two. But the guy is just amazing at passing. Almost like a playmaker at central forward. Pennant is finally starting to be useful too. His crosses last night against Bolton were fantastic.

dirk kuyt *is* a step slow. or two. or three. i think he's not without talent but i doubt he's ever going to be a legend either.

in order to be in the running liverpool will have to suddenly become consistent (not likely) chelski will have to implode (possible given injuries especially at center back) and man u will have to implode (barring slew of injuriies, looking very unlikely).

also a lot will depend on what man u and chelski do in the transfer window. if man u get hargreaves and another good striker, they might be unstoppable. if chelski get a center back that doesn't give away fouls like boulharouz, they might stop imploding.

I am a Liverpool fan and i love to watch them play. Benitez is an excellent manager but they will not challenge Man U and Chelsea. Their competition is with Arsenal for 3rd and 4th places.

i tend to favor chelski (from pre-abramovich times, 1996 to be exact, but any crybabies are welcome to dis me) but have no deep partisan premiership commitments (i am scandalously promiscuous in that regard). i'm not a fan of benitez, though. he makes a great many decisions that utterly baffle me. which would be fine if they worked out, but it seems most of the decisions that baffled me led to bad results, leading me (perhaps erroneously) to the conclusion that they were bad decisions. whatever it is on my part you can't call it "20/20 hindsight" coz i second-guessed him before i saw the results. still he's a pretty good manager but year-in, year-out, i dont see him being able to keep up with the top shelf premiership managers. the better ones all learn as they go and improve their game regardless of age, though, so who knows.

the battle for 3rd place ought to be interesting indeed. reds and arse are obvious front-runners. both are inconsistent as hell--arse partially because their average age is 14, liverpool partially because they bought some psychos (anything to the rumor that bellamy is a serial killer?). both teams talented, fairly well run (although i think wenger the better manager) and there's some dark horses breathing down their throats.

3rd place and relegation battles ought to be fun this year (relegation, maybe not for the participants). first place may be a one-horse race after transfer window.

I am a Liverpool fan and i love to watch them play. Benitez is an excellent manager but they will not challenge Man U and Chelsea. Their competition is with Arsenal for 3rd and 4th places.

i tend to favor chelski (from pre-abramovich times, 1996 to be exact, but any crybabies are welcome to dis me) but have no deep partisan premiership commitments (i am scandalously promiscuous in that regard). i'm not a fan of benitez, though. he makes a great many decisions that utterly baffle me. which would be fine if they worked out, but it seems most of the decisions that baffled me led to bad results, leading me (perhaps erroneously) to the conclusion that they were bad decisions. whatever it is on my part you can't call it "20/20 hindsight" coz i second-guessed him before i saw the results. still he's a pretty good manager but year-in, year-out, i dont see him being able to keep up with the top shelf premiership managers. the better ones all learn as they go and improve their game regardless of age, though, so who knows. window.

I'm not an expert in footie tactics. I wonder what tactics of Benitez you find questionable. Liverpool under Benitez usually seem organized by which I mean I never see them giving their opponents great gobs of space to play in or getting overrun. They seem pretty well balanced in that they can attack down both wings although they are a bit stronger on the right now with Finnan and Pennant. To me the only difference between them and chelsea is that they don't have anyone like Drogba. Nor do they have a Makelele. Otherwise I think the teams are on a par.

Another part of being a premiership manager is selecting talent. I think the jury is still out on Benitez in this regard. He has recruited a lot of young players and its too early to tell how well they will do. I am really impressed with this Agger chap though. Also, I don't think Benitez has made a really big buy as Man U and CHelsea do regularly. Personally I think they should buy a top striker while Gerrard is still in his prime.

i tend to favor chelski (from pre-abramovich times, 1996 to be exact, but any crybabies are welcome to dis me) but have no deep partisan premiership commitments (i am scandalously promiscuous in that regard). i'm not a fan of benitez, though. he makes a great many decisions that utterly baffle me. which would be fine if they worked out, but it seems most of the decisions that baffled me led to bad results, leading me (perhaps erroneously) to the conclusion that they were bad decisions. whatever it is on my part you can't call it "20/20 hindsight" coz i second-guessed him before i saw the results. still he's a pretty good manager but year-in, year-out, i dont see him being able to keep up with the top shelf premiership managers. the better ones all learn as they go and improve their game regardless of age, though, so who knows. window.

I'm not an expert in footie tactics. I wonder what tactics of Benitez you find questionable. Liverpool under Benitez usually seem organized by which I mean I never see them giving their opponents great gobs of space to play in or getting overrun. They seem pretty well balanced in that they can attack down both wings although they are a bit stronger on the right now with Finnan and Pennant. To me the only difference between them and chelsea is that they don't have anyone like Drogba. Nor do they have a Makelele. Otherwise I think the teams are on a par.

Another part of being a premiership manager is selecting talent. I think the jury is still out on Benitez in this regard. He has recruited a lot of young players and its too early to tell how well they will do. I am really impressed with this Agger chap though. Also, I don't think Benitez has made a really big buy as Man U and CHelsea do regularly. Personally I think they should buy a top striker while Gerrard is still in his prime.

i'm no expert on tactics either, and with what little i know i can't find much to find fault with on rafa's in-game decisions.

mostly i am baffled by a some of rafa's personnel moves, and the rotation system he has used most of the time this year. he has recruited a lot of young players but a lot of questionable players for high prices too (kuyt, bellamy, pennant). i mean most of these players are pretty good, but tend to either be head cases or have significant limitations on their talents (kuyt's "speed" for example). i admire his work rate but after seeing kuyt flail around ineffectually in the world cup i was shocked anyone would spend that kind of money on him. he may yet prove a brilliant move but i dont see signs of it yet.

agger, i agree with. i'd say liverpool's talent is more on a level of arse than chelsk at the moment, but arse are coming up fast. some of rafa's head cases may sort themselves out and make him look like a genius but i'm not holding my breath. i expect some of these players to have moments of brilliance followed by too-frequent stretches of erratic play (and in some cases erratic behavior off the field).

they're a good team, but in my opinion they'd be a great team if they made great personnel moves (more aggers, less pennants, bellamys and kuyts).

short version: rafa has splashed a lot of cash on players who haven't given him much value for it. compare him with wenger who has splashed very little cash and come up with some brilliant young talent (cesc for example).

rafa has his critics. some of his buys have been curious but most have worked. remember how poorly crouch performed when he first played for liverpool and how it was turned around? his selection policy confuses most but he employed it at valencia as well. his greatest achievement was to organize the liverpool defence which had been weak for years. the great weakness is up front. bellamy is good but, as zeus (i think) pointed out....he is a headcase and there will be trouble at some point. kuyt is better than people allow. works very hard and will ultimately be more the goal provider than scorer. but they don't have the class of arsenal, chelsea and Manchester. unless they bring high quality forwards in soon they will fall behind the other 3. pity because i love them dearly.

• 1 month later...
Anyone who questions Thailands restriction on foreign investment should just take a look at UK

Who would have thought the top 2 teams Liverpool & United would now be owned by Americans,

Just like our other icons Rolls Royce, Land Rover etc being owned by Germans.

Is there anything left thats actually British.

Football hooligans?

Anyone who questions Thailands restriction on foreign investment should just take a look at UK

Who would have thought the top 2 teams Liverpool & United would now be owned by Americans,

Just like our other icons Rolls Royce, Land Rover etc being owned by Germans.

Is there anything left thats actually British.

Football hooligans?

check out recent events in Italy for the answer to that question !!!!