Aggressive dogs!!!

Gigabyte

Question

Hello all,

I have a small problem that maybe someone had and know how to deal with.

At the end of my soi, there are a few large stray dogs. I often walk there on my way to my favorite mini-mart late at night and the dogs (very aggressive) always growl, bark and threaten me. I was bitten once by one; not hard, just a warning that I was not welcome there.

Of course it's not fun to be threaten by a pack of stray dogs and I would like them to stop. I was thinking about the options but not sure which one is the best:

• 1) Next time I go there, and every time from now on, I bring food and befriend the beasts?
    2) I show them to respect me by using pepper-spray on them?
    3) I bring a baseball bat and play their game?

Any advice anyone???

Thanks!

18 answers to this question

Valium, crushed up and mixed with meat -- heard it works, but never tried it -- love dogs too much. Once filled an enema tube with pepper (this is true) and sprayed the dogs -- it kind of worked. Then shoved the enema tube down my shorts to impress the ladies (this isn't true). But I could never use that enema tube again -- couldn't handle the ring of fire. :shock:

Point 1) is not an option, because animals always will think that you are weak once they get food you already had held safely in your hands. So one day you don't bring them anything, you will have them at your butt again. In my opinion, point 2) for sure will do the trick! The advantage compared to Point 3) is that you don't have to carry anything heavy and threatening with you and also that, once the flea-bags know what's coming out of your pocket, you just have to move your hand towards this pocket to make them run away. Ok, this is not really the way of Southeast Asian Cultures who tell you to respect all creatures, but I also have had my problems with canines and don't feel much for them. But never even try to harm a feline in my presence!

i know they seem like scary rabied little bastards, if they wanna tangle stamp your feet nice and hard and use a few decent sizes stones as ammo, you should win, your bigger !!

No! They're quite large actually... And apparently have 'owners' because they wear collar (so maybe rabie-free, just naturally aggrssives). If they were chihuahua size, I'd kick them easily. But they are maybe in the +/- 30 Kg range. I used to have a Golden Retriever; that's about the size, little smaller but not much...

I usually see three of four come walking to meet me when I walk their direction, growling and showing teeths... Maybe they just don't like farangs?

Thanks all!

I also love animals and even if dogs aren't my favorite hairy animal, I don't want to hurt them. But I also don't want them to hurt me!!! So between me and them, if someone is hurt, I prefer that it's them and not me.

Also never try to hurt a feline in my presence!!!

I'm looking at a pepper-spray solution because even if it hurts the dogs, it's only temporary pain and it's the Pavlov principle that I still remember learning when I was in College. The dogs WILL remember me.

It's also used by many postman at least in my native Canada (but they are an endangered species).

Pepper spray is easier to obtain and carry than lion **** or even a baseball bat. Where can I get it?

Best way to do it is to load a sparay bottle with "Dog repellant" dont know if you can buy this in Thailand. Or use Vinegear. They will hate you after a few times but wont get even near you!

Had the same problem when I was getting healthy and bought a bike. A few sprays every evening and they started to remember the guy on the bike! :D

come on ppl! local dogs are like ...cats. maybe the buea-buea and mai pen rai spirit is in them as well. i love the bkk dogs. nice lads.

it's true that fear smells. the dogs can feel when u are afraid and then, you're fcuked. i used to have a doberman for seven years and i know how a beast reacts. never had a problem with dogs around here.

come on ppl! local dogs are like ...cats. maybe the buea-buea and mai pen rai spirit is in them as well. i love the bkk dogs. nice lads.

it's true that fear smells. the dogs can feel when u are afraid and then, you're fcuked. i used to have a doberman for seven years and i know how a beast reacts. never had a problem with dogs around here.

what about that dog that was walking u around on a leash outside soi cowboy ...

and don't try to tell us u were leading it !!

I used to train police dogs in sweden and there is many ways to deal with this

1. Call the goverment they will come and take the dogs away maybe in 1 year.

2. Call a animal shelter pay them some money and they take it away.

3. Give them food or some snacks when u pass by easy way to solve it.

4. Sure basball bat sure BUT if on of the THAIS actully calls this dog his you have to pay for a new dog or the damage around 3000 THB.

5. Find the person that feeding them and ask them if they can help you.

6. or call me i come over and fix it some how. I just love dogs

hope this helps

you are so wrong ciaran!

that was in front of nana plaza next to nui's burger. outside cowboy i was with that 69 years old woman.

i think the more years you get, the less RAM memory you have :wink:

you are so wrong ciaran!

that was in front of nana plaza next to nui's burger. outside cowboy i was with that 69 years old woman.

i think the more years you get, the less RAM memory you have :wink:

so many nights, so many dogs, so many soi's and so little memory :cry:

I am not afraid of any dog one on one, but I faced up to a pack once and rushing at them, being agressive and making lots of noise didn't worry them. I got seriously worried and backed off slowly once the lady and children I was with were clear of the area.

I am not a dog lover, but I dont like to see them being mistreated. However, an agressive dog just makes me get agressive back.

In my opinion, carrying pepper spray is the best option. It could also come in usefull in other situations!

Unfortunatley, it's illegal to carry pepper spray on your person in public in Australia, even for women.

Unfortunatley, it's illegal to carry pepper spray on your person in public in Australia, even for women.

We have a saying in America, "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six."

Gig, number 3 is right out. If any Thais see you hurting a soi dog, you're in deep ****. The collars don't mean the dogs have owners, per se. But Thais know that any dog without a collar will be picked up and "taken to the farm" as it were. They aren't prepared to let that happen to any neighborhood dogs, so they throw collars on them.

I'm like George of the frikkin jungle, so I've never had any animal agress on me. I'm inclined to say #1, because I make friends with all the soi dogs that way (although they don't actually threaten me). But #2 sounds like a viable option. The only thing I'm concerned about is the dogs getting so pissed off that they ignore the effects of the pepper spray and REALLY come at you.