Hey, you understand Thai?

bobbyboy112003

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I think in this sense, if I understand correctly, the "ree" ("e" upside down) would be much easier to follow if it was written as "ror"...since thats how it is pronounced in this context - in English, the sentence would be more or less equivalent to "You speak Thai, eh." as a statement, not a question. So in this context it's not really interrogative at all...as Cherry points out...

I need some help with something from one of my books most kind TFers.

Aaw ruu pasa Thai duay ree? (the last two e's are upside down)

Hey understand language Thai also or?

Hey, you understand Thai?

Why and what meaning is the "or" in there for?

Sorry, I can't type Thai letters yet.

Thanks all.

I'm not sure you can get the answer right now...

Aaw ruu pasa Thai duay ree?

= Oh!! you can speak thai? (Kinda surprise)

àËÃà ror, If it's in the end of the sentence, it's the question. But it's not for writing... for speaking only. Such as "Jing ror?" = Is it ture?

ËÃ×à rue, If it's in the end, it's question. Such as "Chai rue?" = Is it right? If it's between 2 things... such as "Som rue Mamuang"= Orange or Mango.

Hope it help.

• 3 years later...

Thai people are very supportive of foreigners learning the Thai language. When foreigners arrive, many can speak a few words and maybe a greeting or two. The Thais will usually reply with, "You speak Thai very well" (คุณพูดภาษาไทยเก่ง).

Then comes the second level. Once you've studied a bit, know taxi Thai, restaurant Thai, and can hold brief conversations, the Thais will tell you that you speak Thai very clearly (คุณพูดภาษาไทยได้ชัดมาก).

I always thought that it ended there at the second level...until today. A friendly Thai stranger chatted me up for a half hour or so, and then he said this: "You know what? If we were to chat on the phone, I'd think that you were a Thai person...with a speech impediment or something...really!"

Ummm...thanks?

I'm so proud to have reached the third level. I hope that someone tells me that everyday.

Thai people are very supportive of foreigners learning the Thai language. When foreigners arrive, many can speak a few words and maybe a greeting or two. The Thais will usually reply with, "You speak Thai very well" (คุณพูดภาษาไทยเก่ง).

Then comes the second level. Once you've studied a bit, know taxi Thai, restaurant Thai, and can hold brief conversations, the Thais will tell you that you speak Thai very clearly (คุณพูดภาษาไทยได้ชัดมาก).

I always thought that it ended there at the second level...until today. A friendly Thai stranger chatted me up for a half hour or so, and then he said this: "You know what? If we were to chat on the phone, I'd think that you were a Thai person...with a speech impediment or something...really!"

Ummm...thanks?

I'm so proud to have reached the third level. I hope that someone tells me that everyday.

You have to admit, you do sound pretty retarded in any language. LOL