Wedding in Thailand - What to wear

Treborz

Ok Guys i am attedning a wedding at the end of the yea rin Koh Samui between a thai woman and my friend from the UK. I imagine it will be beach affair but not entirely sure.

Anyway i'm a little unsure what to pack when it comes to what to wear at the wedding, I will be away for three months in total so don't want to take too much as it is.

Now i know i won't be expected to wear a suit like I would here in the UK but i imagine shorts t-shirt and sandals might be a bit too casual.

Does anyone have any experience/advice? My mates are in the same boat....none of us have a clue.

Why dont you and your mates all design an outfit and get them made there.

Lightweight trousers and shirt, something unusual and unique with all the guys dressed the same would go down well I think, or maybe just a nice plain burgundy silk shirt and cream or white trousers, and dont forget some decent sandals :P

I always think these Indian style shirts with no collar look nice for functions. Thats the kind of thing I would look at but I suppose it all depends on your fashion sense and budget really.

Im sure you'll be fine as long as its not loud Hawian shirts that are in your face.

I have been to many a wedding..

I think a lot of it depends on your role in the wedding... All the Thai ceremonies i have bothered to attend consisted of 3 monks, a long piece of string and the guy/girl up front with their parents.. everyone else was stacked behind, in varying types of clothing from dressy to t-shirts.... taking photos...... excessively.

A vast majority of the invitees, don't go to the wedding at all, but just turn up for the reception, where they give money to the new bride and groom... in exchange for booze and food.... and in most cases light karaoke. The dress at these was very informal except again, for the people directly involved in the wedding.

But you said he is your mate, so better ask him.

Don't wear a suit, you will melt!

-RilINjuH!

ps. keep in mind that i live in the south of Thailand.. or the "Alabama of Thailand, so things may be a bit backwards here, i don't know

One of my friends got married also on the beach in Samui a few years ago with my sister being one of the bridesmaids. It was a Thai style wedding but the couple where English, 50 of us flew over from the UK.

All the guys did wear suits but they got them made out their. They were all light cotton suits and did not cost a lot at all ( a fraction of what they would cost over here). Admittedly we all looked a bit Miami Vice but it was fun, All the guys looked smart and were not too uncomfortable or hot for the couple of hours of the ceremony, photo's etc.

I recommend getting a suit for the wedding out their just get some good advice from the locals of which tailor to use (saying that all of them would be better than any in the UK)

Enjoy the wedding

One of my friends got married also on the beach in Samui a few years ago with my sister being one of the bridesmaids. It was a Thai style wedding but the couple where English, 50 of us flew over from the UK.

All the guys did wear suits but they got them made out their. They were all light cotton suits and did not cost a lot at all ( a fraction of what they would cost over here). Admittedly we all looked a bit Miami Vice but it was fun, All the guys looked smart and were not too uncomfortable or hot for the couple of hours of the ceremony, photo's etc.

I recommend getting a suit for the wedding out their just get some good advice from the locals of which tailor to use (saying that all of them would be better than any in the UK)

Enjoy the wedding

looked my miami vice!

i love it!

that is good humour for sure!!!! :!: