Parts of Thailand to visit on a 6month trip?

Harryarne

Question

I'm currently planning a 6 month vacation to Thailand with my family. We have four kids aged 1,4,7 and 9, so we will not want to visit the busiest places. What places in Thailand would you recommend we visit (and why)?

I'm also trying to figure out what kind of budget we'd need to stay there. If we plan to stay 2-4 weeks in each place, what would we expect to pay for budget accommodations (and cheap food) per day?

20 answers to this question

Wow, I wish I had parents like you when i was a kid!!!

One thing though, won't they be missing 6 months of their education?? (the two older ones that is)

Anyway, I've only really visited the Southern Islands and Phuket and places like that are fine for families for a week or two. I will leave the rest to the more educated on this site.

I posted this on your journal entry as well but I imagine this is where you will get the most and better answers as people can write more and keep bumping the topic to the top.

Around Chang Mai is very nice, lots of mountains. Pleasant climate.

Isaan, flat and hot as hell.

Koh Chang, nice island, enough to do for one week

Phuket, lots to do, many nice islands around.

Pattaya, not the right place for me.

Bangkok, many interesting places to visit.

PiAnt: I didn't specify properly, we plan to go in about December 07 and back about July 08.

The youngest kid will be about 2.5yo when we go.

Pete555: Thanks for the overview. I've heard a lot of nice things about Chang Mai, so I think we'll visit that area.

SunTzu76: My wife is not Thai. Thanks for the information though.

Periboea: I'll need to check up on those places. Esp. the resort with less of us farang, sounds very interesting.

I can't believe no one mentioned Krabi...

As the only Krabi resident on this site, i have to reccommend coming here if you want to avoid the cities and also deal with reasonable prices. Great beaches, not as much hawker hassle as other regions (Phuket / Pattaya for example) and roads that are half as deadly!

accommodation varies entirely on what you are looking for.. do you want to have the whole family in one room? Or several... you can stay real cheap in guesthouses but very rarely do guesthouses have rooms that will accommodate your entire family. around here in Krabitown you can find rooms from 150 -800 / night, depending on what sort of things you need.

at the beaches, it is obviously more, but still not too bad. I know of several places in Koh Lanta (very quiet, loads of cheap food) where you can get family size rooms with swimming pools and beachfront bungalows for under 2000 B /night, with cheaper places the further you get from the beach.

Well before i write a novel, perhaps you should look at some KRabi websites and see if you dig it, then i will write more. Private Message me if you want to know because these threads have a tendancy to get lost :)

-RiLInjUH!

Personally I'd stay away from Chiang Mai with the kids as PM10 (particle matter )is extremely high there. Chiang Mai has more pollution than Bkk, which falls mid table in world cities and does surprisingly well in Asian tables.

Ah, I had no idea about that, is that a problem in many Thai cities?

Rilly: You adverticed for Krabi quite well, I'll have to read up on that too. Sounds like a nice spot to hang out for some weeks.

about air pollution. common only in BKK, Chiang Mai, and Hat yai... perhaps Khon Kaen (spelling?) but you didn't want to go to populated areas anyway, so it should not be an issue.

in general, emissions control are all but non-existant in this country... but unless you like to sit on the streetcurb with the fam' ... it shouldn't be an issue

-RiLInjUH!

ps. sorry for spamming, but my attention spam isn't what it used to be :)

I can't believe no one mentioned Krabi...

As the only Krabi resident on this site, i have to reccommend coming here if you want to avoid the cities and also deal with reasonable prices. Great beaches, not as much hawker hassle as other regions (Phuket / Pattaya for example) and roads that are half as deadly!

Krabi is a beautiful spot ..... and great for families !!

Koh Tao & Koh Nangyuan are my very top favorites...also not far from Bangkok, I'd recommend Koh Samet (Ao Pai has got a variety while Ao Vongdeun, I find, is good for a family) & Koh Chang.

I'm not a fan of Phuket though many enjoy it there...just try to stay somewhere else instead of the Bangkla street. :roll:

Another recommend is for Sangklaburi (about 3 hours from center of Kanchanaburi)...seriously nice and green there and not many tourists.

Anyway, enjoy planning the trip and the trip itself :)

Koh Chang

Been spending a few days reading up on different places to go, and this one looked quite promesing.

We'll be arriving shortly before Christmas (around 16th of December) and I guess we'll be booking the first 3-4 weeks before we go, so that we can get our bearings and get used to the temperatures (and pick up some rudimentary Thai language-skills).

As we are on a budget, would there be any reasonably priced places to stay (in Koh Chang), that would also be nice for kids (2-9yo)?