In much of India (where i'm travelling now) to marry outside your own caste is highly discouraged, and to marry a non-Hindu or a foreigner is almost unthinkable....

which, by contrast, has made me realize how open Thailand is with repect to marriage with an outsider. It seems like for many thais, marrying a foreigner is not only perfectly acceptable but for some even considered desirable...even in the supposedly liberal west you won't often see this seeming total acceptance of out-group marriage

so what's going on here? are thais just so laid back that they don't mind mixing with other groups? or is there an undercurrent of resentment or disapproval of all these mixed marriages...

i was talking to a guy from india, he said its a poor country with a lot of pretty woman that will marry forigners, but depends where you go.

desireable to marry farang...i think that is more of a matter of what options are available for most. just my thoughts and observations, and not everyones.

Marrying outside your own group is on the other side discouraged 'cause the underlying cultural difference "inherited" from parents and from the community might cause later on some big trouble: marrying outside the community leads sometimes big troubles later on in some "deeper" things of life: values and big decisions guided by those learned values creating clashes that might have been avoided if you and your partner had shared common values from the start.

which, by contrast, has made me realize how open Thailand is with repect to marriage with an outsider. It seems like for many thais, marrying a foreigner is not only perfectly acceptable but for some even considered desirable...even in the supposedly liberal west you won't often see this seeming total acceptance of out-group marriage

Not wanting to be controversial for the sake of it, but many well to do Thais family would not want their daughter marrying a Farang, of course in poor rural areas it is good to marry a farang as financially it is often perceived as being beneficial.

A rich connected Thai female would in general not go for a poor Thai farm boy.

You'd never get someone from the aristocracy in Britain marrying a man from a working class background, it might not be as extreme as it was but it 100% exists in the above mentioned countries.

It also could be that people from a specific class have more in common with each other and wouldnt want to marry outside this social group.

it is belife, no one wrong, no one right.. India has their own strong belief... which I see its strange to married same family... but they always do that for hundred years..

I see it strange becoz I wont do that but actually in Thai loyal family they do it too, married inside. I think they want to have clean blood, pure from those family in the list not from normal family.

Its very normal that ppl will find the reason to support whatever they doing is right.. I listen to them but I wont say if they are rigth or wrong so they should not say im right/wrong or stupid for what Im doing.

a guy from india, he said its a poor country with a lot of pretty woman that will marry forigners

Interracial marriages a decade ago was considered a bad omen, but now... listens... "Winds of change..." lol!! Actually in today?s world, my people/nationality (in the US as I can't say for the rest) are more open minded to inter-racial marriage. Before the assumption was marrying your own kind will ensure a successful and happy marriage until death due you two apart. Well, things changes and just as long as the son or daughter are happy and their partner supportive... then it's all good.

Should one day I am bless with children of my own, I would voice a happy future versus marriages within our kind. But that's just me...

I think you need to learn a little more about Thailand.

Most farangs that get married here end up with uneducated Isaan village girls often with children already and working as prostitues - these are looked upon by thai people as the lowest class .

It's pretty rare you'd find an upper class white skin professional Bangkok woman marrying a farang. In such a case she would certainly be looked down upon by her social circle.

I think you need to learn a little more about Thailand.

It's pretty rare you'd find an upper class white skin professional Bangkok woman marrying a farang. In such a case she would certainly be looked down upon by her social circle.

As long as the farang knows how to behave, and act culturally in her given social circle, there won't be a problem IMHO.

I'm not entirely convinced of that.

Maybe if her daddy owns the whole company (where she happens to work, say) he would look down on her inability to appreciate his efforts in finding her a suitable candidate among his buddies' sons, but apart from that...

It would mainly depend on the assets of the farang. Education, degrees, politeness, working position, income, other assets, and... her insistence.

would also depend on how 'upper class' is defined.

if you mean middle class/professional, that's one thing. middle class types seem to put up with farrangs OK, i suspect most farrangs don't meet any because these middle class types don't work in gogo bars.

if you mean upper class as in hi-so, id' agree, unlikely to marry a farrang. but i'm sure there are exceptions..

contrary to what moo_noy's friend says about india, i'd bet it's easier to woo a hi so than most indian girls. unless there's another india out there i haven't been to, heard of, or seen on any maps...

i was talking to a guy from india, he said its a poor country with a lot of pretty woman that will marry forigners, but depends where you go.

Is that so ....have been leaving there for 26 years never heard this before ........

how does someone whose profile says they are located in bangkok and only 25 years old live in india for 26 years?? :lol:

It's not about races but classes yes. Some thais perceive farangs as superior class becos you are richer in technology, culture, financialy etc. so they wont object to having you join the family but if u look at the majority of women who marry farang men..how many percent are average or upper class thais? I think that is a very small portion and many thai parents still don't want farangs marrying into the families if they have their say, however , most wont go to the extreme trying to stop the relationships for thai people are naturally relaxed, open minded and curious to learn other cultures I believe. I have a few relatives who are married to foreigners.

But classes of people exist and i think in every country, u wont see a rich man's daughter marrying a taxi driver or a factory girl marry a lawyer becos where will they have a chance to meet anyway or what will they talk about?

I was just talking to my indian friends the other day about how women have to pay dowry to marry men and I was shocked by the amount of money and asset you need to marry a well educated man say with a master degree in india which is around 100,000 AUD!!

Is that so ....have been leaving there for 26 years never heard this before ........

how does someone whose profile says they are located in bangkok and only 25 years old live in india for 26 years?? :lol:

Change of topic suddenly ?????

But I'm curious tho..

I have to disagree with what someone said about educated thai women will not marry outside their race. I have met many thai women that were educated and not bar girls that would marry a farang in a heart beat! I think this is a misconception a lot of people have about Thailand. They think that only bar women or women that just want to come to another rich country will marry farang.

I guess farang guys know how to treat a woman with respect and they are more affectionate.. not that I'm dating one.. :) but yes from experience over asian men... farangs are very sweet and know how to treat a lady with respect. not all of them.. but most respectable farang guys.. like those on tf.,.. hehehe.....

In much of India (where i'm travelling now) to marry outside your own caste is highly discouraged, and to marry a non-Hindu or a foreigner is almost unthinkable...

i was just pointing out that the post is definitely about india and not the west indies!! :wink:

in which case moo_noy's friend knows about a secret stash of foreigner lovin' indian girls that not only those of us who have been there have never encountered, but the indians themselves don't even know about...

so what i want to know is who are these three indian girls anyway?

I guess farang guys know how to treat a woman with respect and they are more affectionate.. not that I'm dating one.. :) but yes from experience over asian men... farangs are very sweet and know how to treat a lady with respect. not all of them.. but most respectable farang guys.. like those on tf.,.. hehehe.....

she's taking the piss out of us again!! :P

I guess farang guys know how to treat a woman with respect and they are more affectionate.. farangs are very sweet and know how to treat a lady with respect. not all of them.. but most respectable farang guys.. like those on tf.,.. hehehe.....

i'm assuming she hasn't actually met any farangs from TF .... well not any of the ones i know anyway !!!

I guess farang guys know how to treat a woman with respect and they are more affectionate.. farangs are very sweet and know how to treat a lady with respect. not all of them.. but most respectable farang guys.. like those on tf.,.. hehehe.....

i'm assuming she hasn't actually met any farangs from TF .... well not any of the ones i know anyway !!!

I'm a changed man Ciaran, i have seen the light........ :D