Steet food - do you eat it?

khun_lung

Question

In bkk and all over Thailand you can find what I call "street food". Food that is prepared on sidewalks or from push carts. And if you've been around for awhile you've seen the pork or fish hanging in the open air, no refrigeration, and a few flies on it.

So would you/do you eat it?

I for one do! There's a lady on my soi who prepares sum tom and charcoal roasted chicken. Delicious! And yes, I've eaten the pork (moo dang) hanging in the open air with no refrigeration. NEVER have I had a problem with any of this food!

So what do you think? Do you stick with conventional restaurants or are you more adventurous and willing to try street food?

some of the hoi were bad to begin with

Yeah, I got something from bad hoi once.

Don't wanna talk about it :cry:

:twisted: 8)

I enjoy Thai hoi whenever I can get it, " Hot & Wet " is the best !!, yummmy :wink:

Oh yeah, and the seafood in Thailand is good too... :shock:

For the 6 weeks that I was in Thailand I ate mostly street food, or road side restaurants that the locals use. Even whe I stayed in at night we ate street food , saves on cooking and washing up time lol. On the odd occassion we ate out at Restaurants, the food way no where near as good. All I can say is.....

Gove me STREET FOOD Its the best.!!!

Noodles or fried chicken (it is chicken, isn't it?? ;) ?? yes.

There's not much that will be left alive in boiling water or charcoal fried food. This kind of street food is good anytime, anywhere! But mostly at 2AM after a good night out.

Pre-cooked stuff? Never again.

I've had mild food poisoning twice in the Kingdom: The first was at a set of covered roadside stalls in a town on the drive back from Chiang Mai. I had pad gaprau gai that had been sitting there long enough to be white on top. Got what I deserved.

The second time was with the owner of the hotel I was living at in Grabi. She insisted it was the best somtam in Thailand. Her treat. Got there and it was just a stall in front of one of those ubiquitous we-sell-everything shops you find in the country. Knew what I was in for, but I thought it would be too rude to refuse. Besides, a 4 day course of norfloxacin is pretty cheap, so I dug in.

This kind of street food should be served with a bucket of ice cubes and a roll of toilet paper.

agree. if it's cooked right then, right there, then it's a) safe and B) probably better than what you'd get in a restaurant. not much can survive boiling water (or open flame).

if it sits i figure it likes to sit and let it continue to do so. also, anything served raw i avoid having from a street cart. anything involving raw or undercooked pork i avoid completely no matter where.

i eat street food pretty much every day, for most meals. the only times i've gotten sick (and i'm not talking about the runs from too much chilis) have generally been from expensive, reputable restaurants. incidentally i've gotten mild food poisoning in expensive restaurants in new york so it's not about appalling standards or anything.

I reckon some of the best food comes from street vendors and the diversity makes it a real pleasure unless you find something really outstanding because invariably you'll never find the same vendor again...

I arrived in Pratunam tired and weak staying in a small place called Naan House near Indra Regent and outside this woman was cooking peanut curry Penang style......probably the best dish I have ever tasted..went back next night and she was gone.

I am cautious though in Bangkok after I saw an opening into the sewer system literally crawling with black rats.

In Patong Beach theres a small lane off Bangla Road that caters for this sort of food and quite honestly you cant beat it for quality, quantity or price and the bonus is you can sit and talk to some great people and when you visit regular you get freebies and big portions. I particularly recommend the last vendor on the right just before the seafood place at the end of the lane...simply outstanding.

Mr Beast.

I love Street Food too, its usually where I end up eating with my friends. also we even opt for the coupon section of a Mall instead of the regular restaurants when shopping.

Its a lot more helpful for me to just get what my friends order, cause they understand what the specific person cooks etc.

I have never been sick from street food, except for technical issues, such as tring to completely drink up a noodle bowl full of water and chili, too much water intake and too much spice in it could upset me. so I usually just eat the noodles out and sip a little of the rest, but I leave the rest of the soup.

Hopefully I should be used to street food nowadays after my 29 times in Thailand

I reckon some of the best food comes from street vendors and the diversity makes it a real pleasure unless you find something really outstanding because invariably you'll never find the same vendor again...

I arrived in Pratunam tired and weak staying in a small place called Naan House near Indra Regent and outside this woman was cooking peanut curry Penang style......probably the best dish I have ever tasted..went back next night and she was gone.

I am cautious though in Bangkok after I saw an opening into the sewer system literally crawling with black rats.

In Patong Beach theres a small lane off Bangla Road that caters for this sort of food and quite honestly you cant beat it for quality, quantity or price and the bonus is you can sit and talk to some great people and when you visit regular you get freebies and big portions. I particularly recommend the last vendor on the right just before the seafood place at the end of the lane...simply outstanding.

Mr Beast.

I would have to agree if we are talking about the same place,(Bangla)you get alot more for your baht than the more fancy places!!! And it tastes better!!!

i had the best EVER pork fried rice one night in chiang mai, was so soo good , it was well after midnight walking back to the hotel, drunk as skunks and not sure which way we were going and had the munchies bad!, came across this (pie cart) food trailer thingy, it was like god had answered our prayers , we ordered 3 meals sat down at the tables provided, after we finished i asked the old man how much? he said something like 35 bt each, to me it worth alot more, in fact it was worth 500 bt lol,he was a little surprised but i said no no cos back home it would cost the same, i said don't spend it on booze like us, buy something for your wife and after exchanging hand shakes and smiles we were on our way back to the hotel, happy!

anyway

if they sell it, i'll eat it..never had food poisoning in my life...knock on wood!

Yes, it is the best food in the Kingdom!

I always enjoy food from the stalls in the evening on the way home...Khow Ka-moo, one of my favourites, but has to be laced with lots of the wonderful chilli sauce and some nice sliced chili in fish sauce (Prik Nam Pla), and maybe a few of the larger green chili, chopped up as well.

If you eat food with a lot of chilli, two things happen...

1. you will get hooked on chilli...

2. you will not get food poisoning...

The reason for the first is obvious as chilli is so nice - the hotter the better, and the reason for the second is that either the chilli (a natural antiseptic) will kill any bugs, or the chilli will flush them through your system, but either way, they will not live in your gut long enough to cause a problem...

Warning...if you think that having the runs is a big problem, then don't do this, and stick to farang food! When I say "flush", I MEAN flush! Haha

Greer

I do... of course. I live here for whole life, some stuff like noodle with fishball, meatball etc .. the best taste can be found by the street not in 5 stars hotel..

My uncle, my cousin who visit Thailand as tourist also do, but only one thing my uncle afraid of is the blend ice, he got bad experience so street food yes but not the ice..

thai street food is the BEST....one of my favorite things to do while enjoying the day......Much of thailands charm is captured in the moments of enjoying a special quick treat so convenient and friendly. I always look to the appearance of the servers and when they are clean, their food is fine.

With limited refrigeration, we always take a chance.....but with busy sales and clean hands...no problem...up to you !!!

krap, tomas

I love street food, esp In Ramkamheang soi 24, lot of good clean food and cheap. I love Khoa mun kai, aroi mak mak.

(thinking about moving there, just to have Khoa mun kai every night)

we did eat it 2 years ago together also anna at sukhumvith :wink: :lol:

:roll: (thinking) R u sure it was me Kenny? You always took me to expensive restaurants, but we did eat at Sukumvit :wink: God 2 years you still remembered, guess im unforgetable :lol:

:lol: you were the first wh asked me to play pool but i guess you were too mao to know that we had street food too :lol:

I love street food, esp In Ramkamheang soi 24, lot of good clean food and cheap. I love Khoa mun kai, aroi mak mak.

(thinking about moving there, just to have Khoa mun kai every night)

we did eat it 2 years ago together also anna at sukhumvith :wink: :lol:

:roll: (thinking) R u sure it was me Kenny? You always took me to expensive restaurants, but we did eat at Sukumvit :wink: God 2 years you still remembered, guess im unforgetable :lol:

:lol: you were the first wh asked me to play pool but i guess you were too mao to know that we had street food too :lol:

Yeah yeah! Street food will be mucg more delicious when u eat after party or u already drunk hehe

thats the time you eat and i wanna drink then? :lol:

Thai street food is good and usually fresh compared to what a restaurant would offer. when I'm in Thailand eating food with chicken and pork in the morning and beef at night is the way i go about eating street food because beef lasts longer without spoiling. plus street food is cheap.

Street food is some of the best food in Thailand! Every time I go to Thailand I eat street food. I have only gotten sick 2 times in Thailand and it was when I ate food at the beach. I just got back from Krabi and I got sick a little bit from eating fish that wasn't cooked enough. Never had a problem eating street food in Bangkok!