london studies

smartass

Just depends on what interests you. Architecture, art/museums, dining, clubbing, theatre, shopping, drinking, etc . . and how long you've got.

Best way is to hook up with Londoners and get them to take you out. Different places attract different crowds. But be sure to take in the main sights, Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament, St Pauls, London Eye, Canary Wharf, Tower Bridge. Lots of great markets too, Covent Garden, Brick Lane, Portobello, Camden.

London is the Worlds greenest capital too. Lots of huge, beautiful parks.

Check out noforms.co.uk. Run by my people :) These guys put on some good 'ole funky house nights. Venues - everywhere.

pretty much i dont wanna limit what you guys can suggest or recommend...preferable from your experience and liking...

this time im gonna go only for 3 days, over the weekend but i plan to go again in a month or two since the visa wont be expired until nov.

anyway, im not gonna visit madame tussauds or london zoo...

any ongoing shows worth to see? like last month my friend got to check out the blue man show....i wish i could have gone with them.

London (and England in general) is one of the few places in western Europe where I haven't been yet. For some reason, I've never had the desire to go there (maybe it's the expensive prices, the so, so weather, or the food...). Anyway, let me know if you have a good time there, maybe it will make me change my mind.

Expect to eat a lot of crap for a lot of money

In emergency she could save some money if patient. When street food sellers close up, they leave the unsold sandwitches and so on outside, so poor people or being late ones could eat for free. It is not something fancy or comfortable, but is a way to survive.

I sometimes wish my people to do this but they all prefer to throw the unsold food with the garbage ("die, f**king miserable bastards, die" :? one of the many social habbits to discourage emigrants and minorities making their live as hard as possible)

Expect to eat a lot of crap for a lot of money

In emergency she could save some money if patient. When street food sellers close up, they leave the unsold sandwitches and so on outside, so poor people or being late ones could eat for free. It is not something fancy or comfortable, but is a way to survive.

I sometimes wish my people to do this but they all prefer to throw the unsold food with the garbage ("die, f**king miserable bastards, die" :? one of the many social habbits to discourage emigrants and minorities making their live as hard as possible)

I don't think she's that kind of girl really. But OK, just in case, she can wait till the deli empties its sandwiches on the street to then go see LES MISERABLES :lol:

Would be like an evening with a THEME :lol:

LOL!

oh well, dont overestimate me. then again im not so very patient person - both on and off period lol

but will think about it ...good to have a theme anyway lol

Walk along the river on a Sunday from Waterloo past the NFT (National Film Theatre and Imax) and Gabriel's Wharf to Tate Modern and over the wobbly bridge to St Paul's Cathedral. Check out a great view of the city from the top of Monument and then catch a bus back up Fleet street dropping in at the Courtauld Institute by Waterloo Bridge. Carry on down the Strand and cut up to Covent Garden for some fun shopping and people watching.

Best parks: Holland Park and Richmond Park.

Best riverside pubs: Richmond and Twickenham.

Food: try a curry or a bagel in Brick Lane, and fish and chips from Fishcoteque outside Waterloo Station, under the bridge to Waterloo East.

And I think Brussels is actually the greenest capital city, but London does have its fair share of good open spaces.

Walk along the river on a Sunday from Waterloo past the NFT (National Film Theatre and Imax) and Gabriel's Wharf to Tate Modern and over the wobbly bridge to St Paul's Cathedral. Check out a great view of the city from the top of Monument and then catch a bus back up Fleet street dropping in at the Courtauld Institute by Waterloo Bridge. Carry on down the Strand and cut up to Covent Garden for some fun shopping and people watching.

Food: try a curry or a bagel in Brick Lane, and fish and chips from Fishcoteque outside Waterloo Station, under the bridge to Waterloo East.

And I think Brussels is actually the greenest capital city, but London does have its fair share of good open spaces.

Don't be put off by what people tell you about the food. It's just one of those stupid myths! The food in England is fantastic and you can get whatever you want. Of course it's expensive, you get what you pay for. People in England earn 300 quid (B21000) a week for working in Tesco. Waitresses have to live somehow! But actually, you can eat for cheap, CMG_UK suggested Brick Lane, curry's down this way are cheap cheap!! If you can afford it, go for an Indian in a decent restaurant, it will be the best Indian you'll have ever eaten. Don't forget to try some pub food. Cheap? yeah, it's cheap if you earn pounds, and it's fab!

If you want to see a show, well, It'll take you 3 days to decide what to see . . http://www.londonwestendtheatretickets.com/bookticket.asp will give you some ideas. Buy a copy of time out . . still stuck for Ideas? http://www.timeout.com/products/tttd1000.html

Don't be put off by what people tell you about the food. It's just one of those stupid myths! The food in England is fantastic and you can get whatever you want. Of course it's expensive, you get what you pay for. People in England earn 300 quid (B21000) a week for working in Tesco. Waitresses have to live somehow! But actually, you can eat for cheap, CMG_UK suggested Brick Lane, curry's down this way are cheap cheap!! If you can afford it, go for an Indian in a decent restaurant, it will be the best Indian you'll have ever eaten. Don't forget to try some pub food. Cheap? yeah, it's cheap if you earn pounds, and it's fab!

If you want to see a show, well, It'll take you 3 days to decide what to see . . http://www.londonwestendtheatretickets.com/bookticket.asp will give you some ideas. Buy a copy of time out . . still stuck for Ideas? http://www.timeout.com/products/tttd1000.html

THE FOOD IN ENGLAND IS FANTASTIC HE SAID.

What's it like to be you? (he said that too) :lol::lol::lol:

GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

(we just had a forum on food in Amsterdam and it was brilliant there too, let's not forget :lol:)

This is a woman coming from Thailand, living in Paris and she'll just love the food in the UK, I'm sure about that :lol:

This is an interesting point and one that I discussed with my Thai friends as we dined on this very night. While westerners such as myself are very open to trying foreign cuisines, some Thais are often somewhat reluctant to indulge in what they like to call 'farang food'

Don't be like the others. Take it from me. I have lived in London and Paris and India and Australia and I'm currently living in Thailand. The food in England is fantastic. Of course, you need to actually go there to know.

A few beers in the basement Green Man Pub below the menswear dept at Harrods,followed by a trip to the foodhall is a good way of loitering.Queensway's Chinese restaurants do good Lobster -noodles(popular with resident/non resident Orientals-far better than Soho's offerings imo.

The East end has 2 of Londons oldest pubs in Wapping-'City of Ramgate' and 'The Prospect of Whitby' .They are close-ish to the Tower of London so handy for resuscitation after the endless queuing.Its also close to Jack The Ripper territory .Curry in Brick lane is fairly awful and its a bit of a tourist trap.Far better Indian/Pakistani food are are to be found in/off Whitechapel high road(particuarly Lahore1 and Lahore2).

Hampstead Heath is another place if you fancy a walk with great views over the London skyline and an interesting cemetery nearby at Highgate ( Cimetiere du Pierre-Lachaise sort of thing).Karl Marx was buried there and ex KGB guy Alexander Litvinenko,the guy who got nuked by Putin's cronies a few months ago is also there:easy to spot the grave as it glows purple.

Hampstead Heath is another place if you fancy a walk with great views over the London skyline and an interesting cemetery nearby at Highgate ( Cimetiere du Pierre-Lachaise sort of thing).Karl Marx was buried there and ex KGB guy Alexander Litvinenko,the guy who got nuked by Putin's cronies a few months ago is also there:easy to spot the grave as it glows purple.

ha, cool...planning to visit jim morrison's this weekend...then karl marx's is next.

the idea of walking tours seem pretty cool here as well on http://www.southbanklondon.com/index.php?pid=6&interestid=12

seen a london timeout at wh smith, was thinking when id grab it when i go....now supposed its time :)

what are the popular clubs, pubs and restaurants among the locals...that are not overrated there?

like for example, "le fumoir" is one famous place with good choices of martinis in paris.

ha, cool...planning to visit jim morrison's this weekend...then karl marx's is next.

the idea of walking tours seem pretty cool here as wel on http://www.southbanklondon.com/index.php?pid=6&interestid=12

seen a london timeout at wh smith, was thinking when id grab it when i go....now supposed its time :)

what are the popular clubs, pubs and restaurants among the locals...that are not overrated there?

like for example, "le fumoir" is one famous place with good choices of martinis in paris.

Hmm by coincidence a friend and i planned to see Morrison's grave in late May.But that was the time when the weather in Paris was really grim,so went to a cafe instead.

Yep walking tours are great.The Timeouts show when where they are.Jack the Ripper theme seems to be popular.The Ripper family must be doing very well thank-you out this particular franchise.Watch out Harry..... :wink:

*makes mental note to go to the Fumoir*

Clubs ,pubs ,restaurants seem to go in and out of favour very quick.Thameside pubs as i and others mentioned are always a safe bet.An Interesting eating locale is Charlotte St off Tottenham Court Road:loads of different types of foods-from Japanese to Greek Cypriot in a cool Bohemian setting in quite a studenty/arty part of W1.

Clubs....erm if you're into Jazz then Ronnie Scotts in Soho is legendary http://www.ronniescotts.co.uk/ and excellent so is the Pizza Express's Jazz club Soho http://www.pizzaexpresslive.co.uk/jazzList.aspx

but for other stuff im sure they're plenty of guys more on top of the topic.....

Or may it deppends on habbits, tastes and personal background.

For me only the idea to put a caterpillar, worm or insect in my mouth would be enough not to feel hunger at least 24 hours (probably I'd rather starve to death if I have no other choice - this is serious I used to know people being in situation like this). I manage to eat indian or mexican only when mixed 1:10 with something other, still didn't got the courage to try thai. Despite of this, I am sure that there are people who find this delicious and it is nice to them. I understand. They probably would'nt like my food too (exept the yogurt-based probably)

Don't judge so hard. Culture and the foods we grew up with have their parts in forming of our personal tastes.

It's moderately kitsch but a boat ride along the river is quite fun. U can pick one up at Westminster. It's kind of a photograph moment. It's not quite the same as riding the Bosphorus but it is a great pic opportunity. While I could lose myself in Hyde Park for days,St. James Park, near the Palace is beautiful....this assumes it ever stops raining there this summer. The Tate Modern is very worthwhile but I am into art, so I am biased. Camden Market is also a very cool place with many bargains.

somehow i dont really think of going to london to...hmm...eat..unless there are some specialties that bangkok and paris can't offer...

but a few names of restaurants with chic ambiance won't be useless either.

*compiling*

For traditional English tucker of the highest quality i would suggest Sunday lunch at the Ritz,dinner at the Savoy Grill or Simpsons in the Strand.You won't be disappointed at either.

For traditional English tucker of the highest quality i would suggest Sunday lunch at the Ritz,dinner at the Savoy Grill or Simpsons in the Strand.You won't be disappointed at either.

But youll declare bankruptcy upon getting the bill.

Nah-no need,just dial your local Rentalousy Suicide Bomber .The NHS now do them.While the Doctor drives thru the window ,beard ablaze with his Merc full of gas cannisters,you do a runner.

But youll declare bankruptcy upon getting the bill.

Nah-no need,just dial your local Rentalousy Suicide Bomber .The NHS now do them.While the Doctor drives thru the window ,beard ablaze with his Merc full of gas cannisters,you do a runner.

Which naturally leads onto the other side of the price spectrum - Khan's

13-15 Westbourne Grove, London, W2 .Cheap tasty curries,very large and very noisy and a bit of a local institution.Its been there years......

• 2 months later...