"Never mind"

theRascalKing

I have noticed many Thai will use the word "never mind" somewhat inappropriately.

The conversation goes something like this:

Thai: "I can help you find an apartment"

Paul: "I already have someone helping me. Thanks though."

Thai: "Never mind"

To me it almost sounds a bit rude .. I am sure they aren't being rude but to me when you say "never mind" it's when you're frustrated with the person. Or something like that...

I think it would be better to say "No problem."

Native English speakers? Your thoughts?

i think they use it in place of "mai bpen rai," at least when it has struck my ear as wrong.

"no worries" or "no problem" would probably be closer to their intention.

but hey you just have to listen to what people mean instead of what they say.

I agree it's the mannerism of the speaker rather than the words people use especially if its not their first language. Anyway I like it when people use languages intuitively at least they have the initiative to try, what winds me up more is when a westerner enters a foreign country expecting the whole country to speak their language with no effort on their part. (also my English is atrocious due to my dyslexia so who am I to judge any one else's use of my language).

....what winds me up more is when a westerner enters a foreign country expecting the whole country to speak their language with no effort on their part. (also my English is atrocious due to my dyslexia so who am I to judge any one else's use of my language).

that said, i find it useful to babble on in my language when i'm somewhere and don't know a word of the language, as people usually figure out quite a bit from how you read the lines.

...Don't worry, try not to think (about it) too much...

äÃèà»ç¹äà has many meanings, dependent on the circumstances and on delivery.

Same same in English, where apparently innocent phrases can be scathing by their sarcastic (»Ãê´) delivery.

We don't address people as YOU in England ... but ¤Ø³ ... is a widely recognised and polite form of address in Thailand.

Understanding cultural context and language delivery, this should enable one to determine whether the speaker is being deferential, or alternatively, whether it really is "UP TO YOU". :-)