Hong Kong --> Vietnam + other things

sunsnow

Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh?

Hi,

just checking out. Does anyone have any info on flights between Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam?

There is possibility to take a plane from Hong Kong to Bangkok and then back to Ho Chi Minh with Air Asia or take Tiger Airways thru Singapore. But I'm looking for more direct flights. Any cheaper planes between the places? (Oh Hong Kong or Macao are same to me in this case)

SECOND QUESTION:

Which one you'd prefer (vote):

Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh? :) Which one to choose for 4 days trip. :)

(Ofcourse if nothing else works, there is always the Bkk --> HCM route...but I'm thinkin' doing possibly a route of HK--> Hanoi/HCM --> BKK the next time in SE Asia...)

Thanks ppl

Couldn't agree more. Saigonners are far more friendly that Hanoians.

Even the Saigonners don't actually like the Hanoian's deep down, and vice-versa.

Spent 3 years living in Saigon and loved it (apart from the power-outs) and although the traffic is getting worse and worse, still love to get back once a month or so on business.

Hanoi - bit more formal - I guess that is where the Communist Govt is based, so have to be a bit more formal, but didn't like the people there so much as the Southerners.

By the way Jevnam - it rains in SE Asia and all Equatorial areas on the World in rainy season :)

Oh, also, your tip on the bus is nice option, but I am on tight 2 week schedule so I think I maybe cannot use that bus.

By the way, CX means Cathaway? Whats your pro tip, how to buy those flights? I am familiar with buying online flights in Finnish website and all those Thai cheap airlines (airasia, onetwogo) but what about these Hong Kong - Vietnam things? Is there any "collected" websites with english language like most Finnish services I use to get out of this country (they are big internet airticket operators, selling anu airlinecompany flights) (I promise not to bother you too much after this :))

Oh no! Actually I had not really read what Air Asia website said about Vietnam. I mean their only destination in Vietnam is indeed Hanoi. :-( And I was so exited to start buying ticket to Ho Chi Minh City after ppl opinions! :) I was so spooked by grey politicians in Hanoi! :-P

And Hong Kong --> Hanoi roundtrip, with Cathay...5200 HKD (thats 23 500 BAHT! and I tried multiple days!, booked in well advance!) No way! THAT IS EXPENSIVE! Compare that price from Macao to Bangkok with Air Asia!

But quick check told me that same time from BKK to Hanoi, 4500 baht. And to top that off with same period transportation from Hong Kong (ok Macao) to BKK, 960 MOP which is more or less 5000 baht (add to that 1200 baht worth of ferry tickets). So, total of 10000 baht. I think that is worth a making day or two round trip to BKK on way to Vietnam. :) Maybe after all, as PiAnt was in favor of Hanoi too, Hanoi wouldnt be so bad!

(Still looking for flights to Ho Chi Minh if anyone has any idea of carriers, as Cathaway is asking 5600 HKD for it! thx :) or is Cathay the only choise..ok, that SG route became more interesting now :))

Hanoi Rocks....coincidentally Finnish too .Must be an omen :wink:

AH! Now you nailed it! :-D It is almost final, I have made my mind. Must leave the beautiful and interesting HCM for some other time with more time. And take for the fast plane routes. :)

PiAnt, take your weapon-of-furballs out of my face!

Damn you Crazy Frog! Ups, PiAnt!

frog_narrowweb__200x286.jpg

I do always find my own ways, but this time, I feel like "totally" letting others suggest me choices because I have done during last two years so much on my own: searching travel books, internet and info on travel destinations, that this time, I thought that my next jump to only quickly visit Vietnam, I'd go by what others suggest me and let it just slideeee...:) And whatever happens: I can 100% sure promise that I won't come to cry to you.

I would chose Hanoi over Saigon any time. Hanoi is more greener, more relax and ppl are friendly in their way. They're more traditional and it takes some time to know them. And u can find noodle soup at every corner, very good in the morning. They have some good restaurants or u can even take a 'baguette avec du pate' :lol: .

I'd follow what Cherryberry says. But u can also go to Sappa with a night train and walk trough the mountains with a lot of tribes and magnificent rice fields instead of going to Haiphong bay.

Cherryberry: It is Finnair to Hong Kong first. And thats it. So from there on I have to book everything seperatly. Then I have two weeks to spend. And the Bkk would be "natural" stop over to Vietnam (as there is no reasonable direct flights from Hong Kong as was said).

Kitchiguy: due to my limited timeframe, trains are out of option from HK to Vietnam. And 100 euros isn't much money at all for a plane ticket that "gets you there".

Thaibel: You'd choose Hanoi and so is Cherry...ok, seems more clear now then...:D

Ah, ok guys, seems that both are equally nice, with good and both sides, there is no really clear winner. Ok, Hanoi is the winner. But if I had more time, seems Saigon had more choice with surrounding options, but for short 4 days Hanoi is the Thing. :)

• 4 months later...