TAXI in Samui.....

Chatty

Have you ever take the taxi there? I went to Samui last weekend...and took the taxi from the hotel that I stayed.

My friends and I wanted to go to Chaweng beach .. just to find something to eat... and hang out in the bar there.

The taxi (meter) said that he will discount for us very cheap cuz we are thai people, he said 400 baht only (i was shocked with that price, it was so expensive for us)... I wonder... it said "TAXI - Meter" but didn't turn the meter on.... the taxi driver said because they used gasoline.... not LPG as taxi in BKK.

Besides, he tried to force us to eat at expensive restaurant... I guess he got money from that restaurant. I told him i went there already (but i didn't)

I told my coworkers about it after i came back from the trip. someone sent me the link about Taxi in Samui from Nation blog.

It said... many many people complaint about that alot. Cuz it said "TAXI-METER" many tourist took the taxi and they didn't know they had to pay 300 baht for just 1 KM. the taxi driver alway have argument and attack the customers if they didn't have enough money or didn't wanna pay.

The new propretor tried to solve the problem by do the chart price... I don't think it work cuz the taxi driver didn't show us...

Just be careful then... talk to the taxi about the price before get in...

Tell you the truth i hate this way.

Yeh, this is so bad but I am surprised that you, as a Thai national, has also been ripped off by this and by as much as this.

I NEVER take a taxi in Samui at all, you cannot get in one for less than Baht200 with the excuse to me being "you can afford it"!

The mafia have an iron grip on Samui and the Mayor is involved. Samui is the most corrupt place I have come across in Thailand to date. I still go there but will have nothing at all to do with taking a taxi.

Frankly I am surprised you even agreed to get in without the meter running...

Never mind, a lesson learned.

Have you ever take the taxi there? I went to Samui last weekend...and took the taxi from the hotel that I stayed.

My friends and I wanted to go to Chaweng beach .. just to find something to eat... and hang out in the bar there.

The taxi (meter) said that he will discount for us very cheap cuz we are thai people, he said 400 baht only (i was shocked with that price, it was so expensive for us)... I wonder... it said "TAXI - Meter" but didn't turn the meter on.... the taxi driver said because they used gasoline.... not LPG as taxi in BKK.

Besides, he tried to force us to eat at expensive restaurant... I guess he got money from that restaurant. I told him i went there already (but i didn't)

I told my coworkers about it after i came back from the trip. someone sent me the link about Taxi in Samui from Nation blog.

It said... many many people complaint about that alot. Cuz it said "TAXI-METER" many tourist took the taxi and they didn't know they had to pay 300 baht for just 1 KM. the taxi driver alway have argument and attack the customers if they didn't have enough money or didn't wanna pay.

The new propretor tried to solve the problem by do the chart price... I don't think it work cuz the taxi driver didn't show us...

Just be careful then... talk to the taxi about the price before get in...

Tell you the truth i hate this way.

Yup, agree...taxis are the worst in Samui.

From the airport to my hotel (less than 10 mins drive) along Chaweng beach - it cost me nearly 800 bahts - and they did not turn on the meter at all.

I learnt that you have to agree on the price before you get into the Taxi.

Yeh, this is so bad but I am surprised that you, as a Thai national, has also been ripped off by this and by as much as this.

Not many thai tourist there so why they care... they need money money...

I NEVER take a taxi in Samui at all, you cannot get in one for less than Baht200 with the excuse to me being "you can afford it"!

It was our stupidy... thought 400 was round trip...

400 baht meanr he just drop us there...

Frankly I am surprised you even agreed to get in without the meter running...

If I knew how to bike.. I wouldn't care about taking taxi. Besides, the hotel that we stayed was out of the city.

I heard that too, that there's a huge mafia problem there, which is one reason I've avoided the island . . .

A friend of mine got shot there - it was an accident sort of - some young mobster wasn't let into the club he was at, so he got a gun from his car and started shooting into the club - hit my friend . . .

I hate people that cheat - I hate the cabs at Khaosan . . . From the sound of this I'll definately still avoid samui . . .

Mafia my ass..Ive been there so many times and heard all this crap about 'mafia'..if they are so big and hard and all they wouldn't be staying in a pit like that.

Ive got friends living in Samui and they openly boast about association with 'mafia' and if anything goes wrong it will be 'sorted'.

In a word b@ll@cks.

Lame traveller excuses all the time. If you find yourself in trouble its your own fault for doing something risky and someone else exploiting your situation.

As for taxis ripping people off..it happens everywhere..I never let a driver touch my case until the meter goes on..

As for ripping of your own countrymen..take a look at the land of milk and honey.................it happens everywhere.

Its sad to see it going on and it wont get better..

Beast.

The meters could be hacked too. A typycal trick here during the pre-GPS age.

They had the trick to bypass the police stamps on the meter and to jack a portable computer with a ripping software (just the like unolocking a phone). So while for example the drived keeps lef signal or is is waiting for a green light (0km/h, engine on) it counts double.

The worse thing was that if you refuse to pay (people are generally more agressive hereand this is what is most likely to happen in a situation like this), the driver calls for help and you got yourself surrounded by angry cabs in seconds and they simply won't let you leave.

Luckily it's rare already as companies now watch their cars (and calculate every cent and kilomether they've made) and if someone tries to cheat the punishment is not only getting off its license but also his/hers car which makes them think double and tripple. And traffic police learned to listen their frequences.

Trough probably it still happens.

P.S. Tt's against the law to have different prices according to nationality, sex, age, skin color etc.

Mafia my ass..Ive been there so many times and heard all this crap about 'mafia'..if they are so big and hard and all they wouldn't be staying in a pit like that.

Ive got friends living in Samui and they openly boast about association with 'mafia' and if anything goes wrong it will be 'sorted'.

In a word bxxxxllxxxxcks.

Lame traveller excuses all the time. If you find yourself in trouble its your own fault for doing something risky and someone else exploiting your situation.

As for taxis ripping people off..it happens everywhere..I never let a driver touch my case until the meter goes on..

As for ripping of your own countrymen..take a look at the land of milk and honey.................it happens everywhere.

Beast.

Be my guest mate, you obviously have all the answers.

Not!

maybe they r staying in a pit like that they r making shitloads of money !!

btw ... mafia here is a loose expression applying to organised and un-organised gangs making dodgy money .... not sicilian gangsters

is this a late entry for dumbest post ever on TF ??

have u been talking to Eddie ???

maybe they r staying in a pit like that they r making shitloads of money !!

btw ... mafia here is a loose expression applying to organised and un-organised gangs making dodgy money .... not sicilian gangsters

Bingo! We have a winner.

Not sure it is the pit you make it out to be but it's gotta be better than the UK in my book.

I didn't talk about mafia... I didn't know it has or not. I just talked about the taxi there. It has mafia or not... who knows. I haven't seen one but it doesn't mean this island doesn't has.

Same as many places... Lumpini park, Pratunam, Ratchada have mafia too... but they never show up. They just sit behind and make money from then black business.

Oh well, smart guy like you never make a mistake. Ok, i'm a lame traveller that let something bad happen to me.

yeah she really should have rented a car

Ok I went there with a travel agency (bad one) So no need to rent any car but that time we took the van back to the hotel and we need to go out again that's all.

Beast.

Not!

Yep Ive got all the answers I need thank you....being careful, use of judgement, a little courtesy and savvy go a long way. Im tired of hearing this crap all the time. Its happened to me too..drivers asking for too much money etc...I just point at the sign or whatever..look them in the eye and walk away having paid what I owe and not 1 bt more..if they want to challenge it after then fine...its not happened to date.

Vindy.

Samui taxis are a bit of a joke...

They wont use their meters as a matter of principal. Their lame excuse is that they have to pay more for their petrol. This maybe true but it is no excuse for charging taxi fares that are double anywhere in Thailand apart from Phuket.

Now you really have two choices. You either accept that the fare - say Bt200 for a Bt70 fare in BKK - is actually ok value when compared to the 'real' world or you rent yourself a motorbike/travel by jeepney.

To be honest, it isnt something worth getting excited about. It is just the way it is.

Samui taxis are a bit of a joke...

They wont use their meters as a matter of principal. Their lame excuse is that they have to pay more for their petrol. This maybe true but it is no excuse for charging taxi fares that are double anywhere in Thailand apart from Phuket.

Now you really have two choices. You either accept that the fare - say Bt200 for a Bt70 fare in BKK - is actually ok value when compared to the 'real' world or you rent yourself a motorbike/travel by jeepney.

To be honest, it isnt something worth getting excited about. It is just the way it is.

what the feck is a 'jeepney'??

Beast.

Not!

Yep Ive got all the answers I need thank you....being careful, use of judgement, a little courtesy and savvy go a long way. Im tired of hearing this crap all the time. Its happened to me too..drivers asking for too much money etc...I just point at the sign or whatever..look them in the eye and walk away having paid what I owe and not 1 bt more..if they want to challenge it after then fine...its not happened to date.

Vindy.

having the answers to over pricing by taxi drivers is a bit removed from ur original post !!

any problems and it's always the tourists fault .... f**king bollocks !!! u don't have to do something risky to get into trouble when travelling !!!