Ugly and Stupid or ugly and smart

PosH

A smart couple usually prefer to have 1 kid as they tend to worry about how the world would change and for a better plan for their kid. Now a guy like that who would f*ck around even with a pregnant woman, would probably have a bunch of kids as you know uneducated people tend to have nothing else better to do than having more kids...

In the next 10 or more years we will end up with load of dummies and a few smart one. That is sad isn't it?

Don't worry too much.

More educated and richer people also have more than the average number of children because they can generally afford it.

The thing that keeps the balance (in a developed society) is the likelihood of being in a couple. It goes up with education.

So overall balance between dummies and smarter ones is still maintained.

Of course you also would need to specify what you call smart.

If it's a matter of IQ then the proportions never change anyway, even with a "catastrophic crop" there's a 2% minority above 120, that's a minority by definition.

What does matter is what you do with the IQ.

Again, the children of parents who are better off will get more chances to do something with it, gain an education, improve/maintain their status, and get more chances to find a better partner and chances are fair that in a positive case they'll get more than average offspring as well.

errrr i'd be mildly interested in seeing numbers. it's been my experience that poor people have more children than rich/educated people. maybe not in belgium but it certainly appears that way in some other places. india for example.

not gonna google numbers, too lazy...

Yes, poor people do tend to have more kids in my opinion.

But contrarily to what the original post says it's definitely not because "they have nothing else better to do"(which is totally derogatory). More likely, it's because they are killing themselves working the field everyday, are in poor health and hope (erroneously) that the more children they have the more likely it is that one of them will be able to take care of them in their old days. Also because they don't have access to education and are not aware or convinced that contraception is a better option.

agree.

A smart couple usually prefer to have 1 kid as they tend to worry about how the world would change and for a better plan for their kid. Now a guy like that who would f*ck around even with a pregnant woman, would probably have a bunch of kids as you know uneducated people tend to have nothing else better to do than having more kids...

In the next 10 or more years we will end up with load of dummies and a few smart one. That is sad isn't it?

Don't worry too much.

More educated and richer people also have more than the average number of children because they can generally afford it.

The thing that keeps the balance (in a developed society) is the likelihood of being in a couple. It goes up with education.

So overall balance between dummies and smarter ones is still maintained.

Of course you also would need to specify what you call smart.

If it's a matter of IQ then the proportions never change anyway, even with a "catastrophic crop" there's a 2% minority above 120, that's a minority by definition.

What does matter is what you do with the IQ.

Again, the children of parents who are better off will get more chances to do something with it, gain an education, improve/maintain their status, and get more chances to find a better partner and chances are fair that in a positive case they'll get more than average offspring as well.

errrr i'd be mildly interested in seeing numbers. it's been my experience that poor people have more children than rich/educated people. maybe not in belgium but it certainly appears that way in some other places. india for example.

not gonna google numbers, too lazy...

It's of course a difficult matter with many cultural aspects as well, not just economic. I was talking about a farang style country here, and yes they're different too, Poland is not Italy and Spain is not like Norway.

Still, I think that in the middle income level there's generally an average of about 2 per family, because of the

- system of child benefits that facilitates having more than one,

- the middle-class ideal of having one boy and one girl, and at least try that

- the cost impact on the middle income of a third child (eg standard housing and cars are often inadequate or cramped, education is seen as important and not cheap at this level)

(each country has different percentages and bonuses to impact on the statistics so the real story would have variants for each)

On both sides of the middle the average often goes up, for different reasons.

Below because the extra child tends to be seen as extra income (child benefits, cultural effects, agrarian background), not an extra expense (education will be kept cheap and short, often earlier at work adding to family income, help in household instead of 'protected' child-role in the middle class).

Above there's also a tendency to have more, because the expense is affordable compared to income levels (the tax benefits of third and fourth child also become important, so this is like a more important additional income per child than the child benefits at the low end). Sometimes the wife can even stay at home again to do the work of raising the lot impacting positively since she'll also probably be of decent background.

interesting analysis. makes sense, quite likely you've seen numbers that support it.

The point I made and that you seem to have missed is that there are many more poor people who never even start families because of their low incomes. They're not attractive as a partner and are stuck in personal survival efforts. They would have plenty of children in a family but there's nobody who wants to join up with them in the first place. So as a group they tend not to have more offspring than people at the middle and richer income levels.

true, i missed the obvious: whereas poor families (say in india) tend to have more kids, there are lots of people (well, men) who don't have the chance to pair off. back to the example of india, all those guys with moustaches who are hanging around everywhere, looking forlorn...

And, I added, average IQ will ALWAYS be 100, by definition. Even if we all have bonobos for 50 years.

been skilmming and going out doing other things, forgot what started all this so dont remember where IQ enters into it but... yeah. by definition.

Now a guy like that who would f*ck around even with a pregnant woman, would probably have a bunch of kids as you know uneducated people tend to have nothing else better to do than having more kids...

Yes I might have put it in a wrong way.

Now if you would read carefully, I'm trying to point out that the guy ( who would have sex with a pregnant lady who isn't not his wife ) is very stupid from what I have read from a few of his posts. So basically uneducated people = him.