valetudo

Krap or Krab?

Mak, maak, mahk ??

poot (speak) pood????

pen or bpen (as in mai pen rai)

sawaSdee krap/b or sawadee krap/b

joob or joop

KraB - ¤ÃѺ º is Bor Bai mai, and therefore is a B.

Maak is the usual

speak - ¾Ù´ ´ = Dor Dek, and is a D

Never mind - äÃèà»ç¹äà - » = kinda half P, and half B

SawaSdee - ÊÇÕÊ´Õ - The underlined letter is indeed an S, BUT, it comes at the end of a syllable and therefore becomes a T, hence it being translitterlated as it is.

Krap or Krab?

Mak, maak, mahk ??

poot (speak) pood????

joob or joop

Maak is the usual

SawaSdee - ÊÇÕÊ´Õ - The underlined letter is indeed an S, BUT, it comes at the end of a syllable and therefore becomes a T, hence it being translitterlated as it is.

Ohhhh an English teacher in the making here i think.....can u spell 'its my round' coz i never hear u say it :lol:

As there is no official transcription from Thai to other languages, everyone does as he likes (which gets pretty annoying once you try to learn from different books)!

My personal opinion is that you should listen and make up the easiest transcription for yourself (be sure that many others will not be able to understand it!).

Krap or Krab?

Mak, maak, mahk ??

poot (speak) pood????

joob or joop

Maak is the usual

Yeah.. probably correct according to the Thai system of romanisation.. it's also why you get strange pronunciations of words like Mahidol etc.. words that have Ã… = lor ling, or the Thai 'L' as a final consanant (amongst others).. because the Thai 'L' as a final consonant takes the role of an 'N'..

(worth checking this link out for interest's sake). But for the benefit of native English speakers wanting to learn Thai pronunciation I would be more inclined to spell them how them how they sound.. e.g. krab = krup, mak = mahk, pood = poot, sawasdee or sawatdii = sawutdee... Having said this though, it's also worth noting that Thai final consonants of p, t, k, b or d sounds are 'non-explosive',..that is, you finish the word with your mouth closed - consider the word 'map'.. when you say it your mouth is open at the end of pronunciation whereas a Thai will probably end the word mouth shut without the 'explosion'.

I've heard tourists say (and probably spoke the same way myself once) something like 'sawaSdee crap' and 'kop koon crap' to which they'll get a smile or an appreciative little giggle, but the Thai must be thinking 'where the hell do they learn to speak Thai so funny?'

The other problem with the official romanised Thai is that it gives no cue to the tonal aspects of Thai and surely doesn't demonstrate the Thai vowel and consonant sounds that dont' exist in English

.. in conclusion a romanised system isn't perfect and apart from learning the written language and associated sounds the nearest thing is the International Phonetic Alphabet.. (which in turn is a system of phonetic notation based on the Latin alphabet).. And really, if you want to learn Thai well and you don't know how to use this alphabet already, forget it. Learn the Thai alphabet and spelling rules from scratch - not much more a task and significantly more beneficial in the long term.