Christianity is Bullsh*t!

CocoaBrotha

Is there a higher power  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a higher power

i will try to give a short answer...

YES I believe in a higer power that is there for guidance..

I DON'T believe in all that hyped up let's-put-our-hands-together-and-clap stuff!

I DON'T believe in all the wars that are fought because of religious differences.

I DON'T believe in people being persecuted because of different religious believes.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The title of the post is offensive, but nobody seems to mind so far.

Except me. But this is just the latest in a long volley of attacks by the less than informed to put it FAR too nicely. I've about had enough of the garbage dispensary operating full tilt.

I wonder what would have happened if the word christianity had been replaced by "Judaism" or "Islam". My guess is that the post would likely have been deleted, or the title changed...

The small minded do and allow for the stupidest things.

If you can't accept criticism of your ideas and defend them without throwing a hissy fit, then I suggest you crawl back in your own hole.

Meaning YOU don't throw temper tantrums? Hahahaha. Well....that shovel you're carrying around looks like proof positive you've got several holes to choose from.

I am going to try a different tact here.

Every day astronomers are learning more and more about the the universe. Any astronomer worth his or her salt will tell you every time a "question" is answered 10 - 20 more questions arise in its wake. For example, astronomers have, for the first time, seen other planets in other solar systems orbiting their respective stars. We've long assumed they were there, but never had visual proof until now. Further, we have seen that some of these planets rotate these stars in cylindrical versus round orbits. Further still, the stars themselves are "rotating" as well, like a tennis ball attached to a long string you spin around in the air. The tennis ball represents the planet and your rotating wrist would represent a star. These are monumental discoveries that change all the text books. They also raise several new questions: If gravitational pull is consistent and constant, what causes these planets to have something other than a round orbit? If the sun doesn't rotate, why do these other stars? Is there carbon-based life on these planets? Some other element-based life forms? And on and on and on.

The more we learn, the more we discover how little we know. Very little.

Two things no one seems to disagree on: God, if He exists, is perfect. Man is imperfect. Religion, and Christianity in particular are practiced by imperfect beings and are exploited constantly for self gain by some. The *principles* enveloping Religion and Christianity in particular are handed down by God and are perfect. That those principles are used to exploit others DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT the principles themselves are perfect. If we all actually practiced and lived by the Ten Commandments (and there is a community that does) there would be no war, murder, adultery, greed, crime in general, etc. The community's name? The Pennsylvania Dutch or the Amish as they are more commonly referred to.

Human beings use something like between 3 and 7 percent of their actual brain capacity. Albert Einstein believed in a higher being or God. So I find it laughable when the "enlightened" here and elsewhere ridicule the possibility of God's presence. So you are all smarter than Einstein, right? I've got news for all of you: you're not enlightened and neither am I. You (and I) don't know ****. It's not about "proving" God exists. It's about faith.

If humanity hasn't annihilated itself first, the next 100, 500, 1000 years will have many questions answered and millions more new ones. And I believe the need for God will only grow in importance.

When I look at some of these posts the only conclusion I can reach is some of you are so simple and closed minded it's painful. I wince when I see some of the idiocy you people buy into. But you are entitled to believe whatever you want and I am no proselythizer.

The vast majority of Christians believe in live and let live and rarely say anything when under the type of assault that's perpetrated nowadays. I don't know any who routinely and viciously attack atheists and their beliefs. Once again, it boils down to the ill-informed to fear and chastise that which they don't, don't want to or don't even bother trying to understand.

You guys really do have too much free time in hand ...

Is there a higher power?

Yesh ... That would be " me "?

IF there wasn't a God, how do all those miracles happen? There are somethings that medicine and science just cannot prove, and with that there just has to be a higher power.

Lately I hae been thinking the same thing. We read in history about the belief in more than one god, Zes ext. What if 2000 years from now, people are looking back and saying " How could they believe in only one God?" It's wierd. But if someone came to you on the street or ut of the blue and asked you if you believed in God? my first thought would be 'Yes'. So thats what Im going with. God exists, he listens. There is no way that the earth just appeared..!

You guys really do have too much free time in hand ...

Is there a higher power?

Yesh ... That would be " me "?

IF there wasn't a God, how do all those miracles happen? There are somethings that medicine and science just cannot prove, and with that there just has to be a higher power.

Lately I hae been thinking the same thing. We read in history about the belief in more than one god, Zes ext. What if 2000 years from now, people are looking back and saying " How could they believe in only one God?" It's wierd. But if someone came to you on the street or ut of the blue and asked you if you believed in God? my first thought would be 'Yes'. So thats what Im going with. God exists, he listens. There is no way that the earth just appeared..!

I guess he was busy makin miracles when all those people disappeared in the devils triangle huh :P

If you can't accept criticism of your ideas and defend them without throwing a hissy fit, then I suggest you crawl back in your own hole.

Meaning YOU don't throw temper tantrums? Hahahaha. Well....that shovel you're carrying around looks like proof positive you've got several holes to choose from.

Right. And you don't make up lies about people who have different opinions than your own.

Or about yourself, for that matter.

I remember your little tantrum about picking up your ball and going home and never posting here anymore when you had your wrist slapped for making up lies about others.

And yet you're still here. Mr. Tough Guy. Shovel? You need a bulldozer.

It's highly unlikely that Jesus was a carpenter. Joseph (his stepdad) was. There's a brief mention of Jesus being a chippy by Mark in the gospels but it's rather vague and is probably referring to Joseph. There are no other references to his occupation other than that of a rabbi. Jesus was a preacher. The Pharisees and synagogue authorities were hardly likely to allow a chippy to preach. I think it's just a romantic Christian notion. Jesus was a rebel, and in my personal opinion, probably a deluded one with a drink problem.

I don't think you can describe him as a Jew either. He was Judean. He certainly didn't live as a Jew. He defied so many laws and even desecrated the Sabbath that the Pharisees arranged to have him crucified.

Two things no one seems to disagree on: God, if He exists, is perfect. Man is imperfect. Religion, and Christianity in particular are practiced by imperfect beings and are exploited constantly for self gain by some. The *principles* enveloping Religion and Christianity in particular are handed down by God and are perfect. That those principles are used to exploit others DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT the principles themselves are perfect.

f**ks sake get a grip .... just because u think they r perfect doesn't mean they r perfect !!

there is a difference between an opinion and a fact !!!

If you go to a museum you see dinosaur skeletons not half man half monkey skeletons???

There are so many religions in the world I think they all came from the same source and have branched out over the years.

Since I see no proof of evolution although it does exist animals do evolve, I can?t help but believe in a higher power sure religion has been used to make money and control people but generally good for people.

Any my 2 cents hope you have a happy new year 

If you go to a museum you see dinosaur skeletons not half man half monkey skeletons???

There are so many religions in the world I think they all came from the same source and have branched out over the years.

Since I see no proof of evolution although it does exist animals do evolve, I can?t help but believe in a higher power sure religion has been used to make money and control people but generally good for people.

What do you mean by 'half man half monkey skeletons'? Is this an attempt to dispute the evoltion of man? What museums have you been visiting? Are you not aware that there is a mass of evidence or 'proof' that Homo sapiens sapiens evolved directly from Homo erectus? By the way, that was about 1.8 million years ago - pre-dating the bible's version of history somewhat.

The proof of evolution is all around you, from your opposable thumbs and alledged large brain to the female homo sapiens comparatively enormous breasts, and that's just one animal. You do agree that evolution is present in Animals, right?

Have you ever heard of Australopithicus, Kenyanthropus, Homo habilis, Homo neanderthalensis?

Here's a list of species in chronological order by genus. (copied from Wiki) I would think these species have been identified as a result of the discovery of the skelingtons.

Sahelanthropus

Sahelanthropus tchadensis

Orrorin

Orrorin tugenensis

Ardipithecus

Ardipithecus kadabba

Ardipithecus ramidus

Australopithecus

Australopithecus anamensis

Australopithecus afarensis

Australopithecus bahrelghazali

Australopithecus africanus

Australopithecus garhi

Paranthropus

Paranthropus aethiopicus

Paranthropus boisei

Paranthropus robustus

Kenyanthropus

Kenyanthropus platyops

Homo

Homo habilis

Homo rudolfensis

Homo ergaster

Homo georgicus

Homo erectus

Homo cepranensis

Homo antecessor

Homo heidelbergensis

Homo rhodesiensis

Homo neanderthalensis

Homo sapiens idaltu

Homo sapiens (Cro-magnon)

Homo sapiens sapiens

Homo floresiensis

By the way - your theory of the evolution of religion makes a great case for the Atlantis theory.

Happy New Year :)

a hint: before you can argue against a theory, you have to have some slight clue at least as to what that theory says. since you don't, you'd be better off not mentioning it, unless you *like* being laughed at.

Hmm renovating a dream farmhouse in Tuscany,then writing a book about how you did it.Etruscan theory makes sense.Way older than the bible n almost as dull.

i'm more interested in the babylonians. sure they didn't release their stuff in book form but apparently some of their first writing sung the praises of beer...

I am going to try a different tact here.

to pick a nit: i think you mean 'tack' as in 'course of action or conduct,' rooted in the nautical term. i doubt you intended to accuse *any* TF member, yourself included, of having tact.

Every day astronomers are learning more and more about the the universe. Any astronomer worth his or her salt will tell you every time a "question" is answered 10 - 20 more questions arise in its wake. For example, astronomers have, for the first time, seen other planets in other solar systems orbiting their respective stars. We've long assumed they were there, but never had visual proof until now. Further, we have seen that some of these planets rotate these stars in cylindrical versus round orbits. Further still, the stars themselves are "rotating" as well, like a tennis ball attached to a long string you spin around in the air. The tennis ball represents the planet and your rotating wrist would represent a star. These are monumental discoveries that change all the text books. They also raise several new questions: If gravitational pull is consistent and constant, what causes these planets to have something other than a round orbit? If the sun doesn't rotate, why do these other stars? Is there carbon-based life on these planets? Some other element-based life forms? And on and on and on.

while i very much agree that we know next to nothing and that each question answered leads to dozens of new questions, i'm not clear on what a 'cylindrical' orbit is. do you mean elliptical, or is this some new thing i've not read about? if so, please provide a link it sounds interesting.

The more we learn, the more we discover how little we know. Very little.

again, agree.

Two things no one seems to disagree on: God, if He exists, is perfect. Man is imperfect. Religion, and Christianity in particular are practiced by imperfect beings and are exploited constantly for self gain by some. The *principles* enveloping Religion and Christianity in particular are handed down by God and are perfect. That those principles are used to exploit others DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT the principles themselves are perfect. If we all actually practiced and lived by the Ten Commandments (and there is a community that does) there would be no war, murder, adultery, greed, crime in general, etc. The community's name? The Pennsylvania Dutch or the Amish as they are more commonly referred to.

i don't know that everyone agrees that if there is a God, that God is necessarily perfect; i suppose it would depend on your definition of 'perfect.' and 'God."

Human beings use something like between 3 and 7 percent of their actual brain capacity.

this oft-quoted old saw is a bit misleading. it implies that most of our brain is sitting around doing nothing. contemporary thought regarding the brain is that most of our brain is doing stuff we just aren't sure what, and there's no vast reserve of untapped brain power waiting to be exploited if only we knew how.

Albert Einstein believed in a higher being or God. So I find it laughable when the "enlightened" here and elsewhere ridicule the possibility of God's presence. So you are all smarter than Einstein, right? I've got news for all of you: you're not enlightened and neither am I. You (and I) don't know sh*t. It's not about "proving" God exists. It's about faith.

while i'd agree that it's all about faith, and the idea of 'proving' God doesn't exist is absurd, the "Einstein" example is absurd also. what's the point? Einstein believed in God, so what? if you're saying that smart people can believe in God, sure, but so what. if you're implying that Einstein was smart, and believed in God, therefore it's stupid not to, that's just silly. smart or not, Einstein can be wrong and can even believe stupid things. *anyone* can.

If humanity hasn't annihilated itself first, the next 100, 500, 1000 years will have many questions answered and millions more new ones. And I believe the need for God will only grow in importance.

i'm betting we annihilate ourselves within the next 50 - 100 years. call me an optimist.

When I look at some of these posts the only conclusion I can reach is some of you are so simple and closed minded it's painful. I wince when I see some of the idiocy you people buy into.

that applies all across the spectrum, and not just in TF forum. and *everyone* buys into some sort of idiocy at some time or another.

But you are entitled to believe whatever you want and I am no proselythizer.

The vast majority of Christians believe in live and let live and rarely say anything when under the type of assault that's perpetrated nowadays.

this is mostly true, but it's that evangelical minority that are irritating.

I don't know any who routinely and viciously attack atheists and their beliefs.

never been to the southeastern united states then huh?

Once again, it boils down to the ill-informed to fear and chastise that which they don't, don't want to or don't even bother trying to understand.

sorta like squirreloncrack's 'debunking' of evolution?

When I look at some of these posts the only conclusion I can reach is some of you are so simple and closed minded it's painful. I wince when I see some of the idiocy you people buy into. But you are entitled to believe whatever you want and I am no proselythizer.

coming from somebody who claims to have voted for bush and cheney not once but twice .... that's f**king laughable !!!!

IF there wasn't a God, how do all those miracles happen?

errrrr *what* miracles? what evidence do we have for them?

There are somethings that medicine and science just cannot prove, and with that there just has to be a higher power.

there is no scientific basis for cliaiming that, because there's stuff we don't know, there just *has* to be a higher power.

that said, surely there are better reasons for believing in God than "we can use "God to explain the stuff we don't know." if you do that, then what happens when you find a better explanation, and can verify your explanation through experiment?

as another poster mentioned, Einstein believed in God. i doubt, however, that Einstein expected God to explain things that 'medicine and science just cannot prove'.

Human beings use something like between 3 and 7 percent of their actual brain capacity. Albert Einstein believed in a higher being or God.

This myth was exposed as recently as the 22 December in the British Medical Journal. Actually we know what we use approximately 96% of our brain for.

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/short/335/7633/1288

Many people attribute this myth to Albert Einstein - he had an awful lot of very wacky theories....

If gravitational pull is consistent and constant, what causes these planets to have something other than a round orbit?

That's gravity, understood about 300 years ago. An analogy might be a ball attached to a rubber band. You fling the ball nearly straight ahead, and the ball won't assume a circular trajectory. It might slow down as it gets farther from you, stop, regain momentum, and just miss bonking you on the head as it passes by.

Though one section of a cylinder is an ellipse, you can also get a rectangle. We've yet to see planets in rectangular orbits.

If we all actually practiced and lived by the Ten Commandments (and there is a community that does) there would be no war, murder, adultery, greed, crime in general, etc.

And...Buddhism would be illegal. Buddha images would be illegal. Those who work on Sunday would be subject to punishment (death is mentioned later). Blasphemy would also be severely punished. That's not my perfect, ethereal recipe for morality.

Hell, if we could all just get our heads together and agree that Kim Jong Il is our great leader, everything would be hunky-dory.

Human beings use something like between 3 and 7 percent of their actual brain capacity. Albert Einstein believed in a higher being or God.

C'mon, stop abusing Einstein. Here's a well-known quote: "It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

And the 3-7% thing is bunk.

The vast majority of Christians believe in live and let live and rarely say anything when under the type of assault that's perpetrated nowadays.

A large percentage of American Christians definitely do hold bizarre beliefs in creationism, rapture, the second coming, the fallacy of every other religion, etc., etc. Being demure about these ludicrous belief doesn't matter when American competitiveness and ability to respond rationally in a complex world is at stake.

Human beings use something like between 3 and 7 percent of their actual brain capacity.

this oft-quoted old saw is a bit misleading. it implies that most of our brain is sitting around doing nothing. contemporary thought regarding the brain is that most of our brain is doing stuff we just aren't sure what, and there's no vast reserve of untapped brain power waiting to be exploited if only we knew how.

he was only talking about himself,

and actually, 'doing', it should read 'achieving'

you can all believe as much in Gods as you want, to me it's not a sign of intelligence - whether you're Einstein or Frankenstein,

it's more like a sigh meaning "i'm so lonely out here, can somebody come and rescue me"

or "it scares me shitless that this might be it, that we're not here for any 'reason' and that (perhaps the worst of all) once we die, that's just it."

i can understand why that can scare just about anyone, from forrest gump to einstein.

edited to change mysteriously oversize type. FYI sometimes the "bold" codes cause it. watch out, it'll get ya.

a hint: before you can argue against a theory, you have to have some slight clue at least as to what that theory says. since you don't, you'd be better off not mentioning it, unless you *like* being laughed at.

a hint: before you say someone is arguing they must be disagreeing on something although it does exist animals do evolve???? If you need lame unproven theories to go about your life so be it oh yeah you can laugh all you want I don?t care 

What do you mean by 'half man half monkey skeletons'? Is this an attempt to dispute the evoltion of man? What museums have you been visiting? Are you not aware that there is a mass of evidence or 'proof' that Homo sapiens sapiens evolved directly from Homo erectus? By the way, that was about 1.8 million years ago - pre-dating the bible's version of history somewhat.

The proof of evolution is all around you, from your opposable thumbs and alledged large brain to the female homo sapiens comparatively enormous breasts, and that's just one animal. You do agree that evolution is present in Animals, right?

Have you ever heard of Australopithicus, Kenyanthropus, Homo habilis, Homo neanderthalensis?

Here's a list of species in chronological order by genus. (copied from Wiki) I would think these species have been identified as a result of the discovery of the skelingtons.

Sahelanthropus

Orrorin

Orrorin tugenensis

Ardipithecus

Ardipithecus kadabba

Ardipithecus ramidus

Australopithecus

Australopithecus garhi

Paranthropus

Paranthropus aethiopicus

Paranthropus boisei

Paranthropus robustus

Kenyanthropus

Kenyanthropus platyops

Homo

Homo habilis

Homo rudolfensis

Homo ergaster

Homo georgicus

Homo erectus

Homo cepranensis

Homo antecessor

Homo heidelbergensis

Homo rhodesiensis

Homo neanderthalensis

Homo sapiens idaltu

Homo sapiens sapiens

Homo floresiensis

By the way - your theory of the evolution of religion makes a great case for the Atlantis theory.

Good to see you can copy and paste so where is that museum you are talking about?

a hint: before you say someone is arguing they must be disagreeing on something although it does exist animals do evolve???? If you need lame unproven theories to go about your life so be it oh yeah you can laugh all you want I don?t care 

that's good because your semi-retarded comments give me a LOT to laugh about. thanks for your permission. bear in mind that next time it help make you look slightly less dim if you had even the faintest clue as to what the "lame, unproven theories" actually say... then maybe, just maybe, you might have some faint clue as to what "proof" of evolution would consist of, but in your case i doubt it. you've been failing to grasp these very simple concepts for quite a while now.

and incidentially i don't need *any* theories, "lame" "unproven" or otherwise to go about my life. i don't need a "higher power" either. pretty much all there is to that at present is making sure one gets paid enough to afford food and shelter, rinse and repeat until death ain't it.

Sahelanthropus

Orrorin

Orrorin tugenensis

Ardipithecus

Ardipithecus kadabba

Ardipithecus ramidus

Australopithecus

Australopithecus garhi

Paranthropus

Paranthropus aethiopicus

Paranthropus boisei

Paranthropus robustus

Kenyanthropus

Kenyanthropus platyops

Homo

Homo habilis

Homo rudolfensis

Homo ergaster

Homo georgicus

Homo erectus

Homo cepranensis

Homo antecessor

Homo heidelbergensis

Homo rhodesiensis

Homo neanderthalensis

Homo sapiens idaltu

Homo sapiens sapiens

Homo floresiensis

Good to see you can copy and paste so where is that museum you are talking about?

would you know the evidence you seek if it bit you on the ass? i seriously doubt it.