CocoaBrotha

Is there a higher power  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a higher power

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had some supernatural experience but I'm not really sure if it was just imbalance neurotransmitters or not ;) but bigfoot might exist :P

You had "hot flashes" that's all!

maybe you gf? or you have it yourself?

I just think that btw bigfoot and supernatural power it's easier to believe that bigfoot exists

u wanna see the size of my shoes ?????

I have had some supernatural experience but I'm not really sure if it was just imbalance neurotransmitters or not ;) but bigfoot might exist :P

I just think that btw bigfoot and supernatural power it's easier to believe that bigfoot exists

There are alot of people who believe in Bigfoot including some scientists :?:

There are alot of people who believe in Bigfoot including some scientists :?:

most sicentists believe in Shaquille O'Neal, currently playing for the Miami Heat. however, if you mean that big FURRY guy in the pacific northwest, as far as i know the only "scientists" who believe in it are the kind that ***** themselves out for TV documentaries about "The Unknown"...

What I hate most about these TV evangelists is that they act like they're god is their pet. They seem to be confused with who's in charge. You don't tell people to "oh, buy this water and pour it on a dollar bill and God will send you money." You don't tell God to heal people. God's main priority isn't necessarily an individual's comfort here on earth. He's more concerned with the state of souls!.

That's what so many people don't understand!. Like the kitty fer example....

a__holy_sign.jpg

To answer the title question, yes Christianity is bullshit, of that there's no doubt.

To answer the topical question, belief in a higher power is not bullshit, just a belief more difficult to adhere to.

One of them is a belief in the word of mere men, the other is a belief in something more difficult to comprehend.

a case could be made that the possible absence of a higher power is even more difficult to comprehend.

I have been to Scientific Debates and seen the Evolutionists totally annhilated.

i am fairly certain that they rely on observers (like yourself, no offense) not having the faintest clue about the science involved. they most certainly did *not* scientifically annihilate the "evolutionists" (assuming one accepts the ideological sleight of hand involved in creating the term in the first place). in short, creationists when debating "evolutionists" rely on smoke, mirrors manipulation and sometimes even outright deceit.

what your creationists were doing *was* debating but it was far from scientific.

I have been to Scientific Debates and seen the Evolutionists totally annhilated.

i am fairly certain that they rely on observers (like yourself, no offense) not having the faintest clue about the science involved. they most certainly did *not* scientifically annihilate the "evolutionists" (assuming one accepts the ideological sleight of hand involved in creating the term in the first place). in short, creationists when debating "evolutionists" rely on smoke, mirrors manipulation and sometimes even outright deceit.

what your creationists were doing *was* debating but it was far from scientific.

since when did we allow stuff like evidence and facts influence posts on TF !!!

since when did we allow stuff like evidence and facts influence posts on TF !!!

true. especially when the words "Scientific Debates" are involved.

a case could be made that the possible absence of a higher power is even more difficult to comprehend.

Indeed there is much that cannot be explained unless it is attributed to a higher power.

like what?

to my eye there is much that cannot be explained, and invoking a 'higher power' doesn't explain it either.

yeah but a lot of ppl still like to believe it anyway !!!

Indeed there is much that cannot be explained unless it is attributed to a higher power.

like what?

to my eye there is much that cannot be explained, and invoking a 'higher power' doesn't explain it either.

i have no beef with people who have faith in whatever they wanna have faith in... until they start saying whatever it is causally necessary to end up with the world we have. if such a claim is supposed to be fact-based it's unsupportable.

• 3 weeks later...
I am my own God, there is no greater or better God than me! And there is no guy in the sky to "have your back". There is no proof of Satan or Hell. We create our own hell!. If you believe in unfounded supernatural beings and unfounded out of this universe places.Then I'll believe Bigfoot exsists.

By the way just because some were told the story does not make it correct. So begs the question?...

WHO PUT US HERE?!?

who the **** are you to to dis peoples belief systems boy!!!

like what?

i have no beef with people who have faith in whatever they wanna have faith in... until they start saying whatever it is causally necessary to end up with the world we have. if such a claim is supposed to be fact-based it's unsupportable.

I suppose it would depend on what definition one placed upon "higher power".

A caveman might explain it as the power which brought the sun up every morning, whereas we might define it as something science hasn't yet understood fully.

then what do you do if it comes to be understood fully? this approach has worked out really well for the creationists and flat-Earthers.

I feel you'd be amongst the first to admit that non-comprehension or unexplainabilty does not necessarily mean that something beyond our current level of knowledge doesn't exist.

i didn't say a higher power doesn't exist, what i am saying is that there is ZERO fact-based evidence so far that a higher power intervened or intervenes causally in our world. (and yeah, i'm aware of Michael Behe's smoke-and-mirrors act.)

non-comprehension doesn't mean that something beyond our comprehension doesn't exist. it doesn't mean it does, either. it just means "we don't know." although "we don't know" seems awfully hard to accept; as a species we tend to want to make up stories to explain things.

also, the careful observer will note that there is no evidence whatsoever, in any scientific field whatsoever, that a "higher power" is causally necessary for *anything*. thus, i stand by my statement that any claim that a higher power is causally necessary for the world we have, is unsupportable with facts.

this doesn't mean that there aren't things we don't know, nor that there couldn't at some point be discovered evidence of the meddling of some higher power. but it hasn't happened yet. there's nothing so far, and no evidence that we're likely to find such evidence.

so what then is the point of saying cave-man style, when we don't know something "ah! God must have done it?" seems like you're on borrowed time there. a more tenable position might be to align oneself with a non-interventionist version of 'higher power', although if you're a baller that might hurt your ability to sink that clutch free throw (apparently God helps with these, or so i've heard).

But then again...

I think you'd disagree the sky was blue.

it's 3AM. right now, it's blackish-murple. no really, go look.

I never claimed that there was in fact any "Higher Power", nor did I ever use the word "god" (that's not what this is about),

that's a copout. what is God if not a "higher power," and what is a "higher power" if not an intelligence, a consciousness... which brings us back to God (or gods for whatever pagans may be left).

I simply presented an argument that things which are beyond our current level of understanding might well be attributable to a "higher power", i.e., that a power greater than that which we are currently incapable of understanding might be responsible for that which we do not understand.

and i made the point that, as yet, there's no evidence whatsoever that things beyond our current level of understanding are attributable to a "higher power." sure they could be, but why bother trying to explain them? by definition we're currently incapable of understanding them so any explanation beyond "we don't understand" is bullshit at best.

if these things *are* attributable to a higher power then there will, assuming we discover it and interpret it correctly, be tangible evidence that a "higher power" intervened, would there not?

Your predictable profession that the sky is not blue at night is not proof that the rest of your words are as true.

nor was it offered as such.

it was offered to illustrate the absurdity of your choice of bait to demonstrate that i'm contrarian for its own sake. while not refuting that claim, the support for it that you were apparently fishing for didn't materialize either, since the sky at the time in question, factually speaking, didnt match any accepted definition of "blue."

Not a copout. A higher power does not equate to a god, merely to a power greater than that we ourselves possess or that which we are incapable of understanding.

so no intelligence or consciousness necessary? by that definition then a black hole is a higher power isn't it?

Does it posses more power than we do?

Or are we now to argue the difference between higher and greater?

Or intelligence and understanding over natural phenomena we may or may not understand?

Or agree to disagree like we always do?

(I like 3. It's always been my fave number.)

i'd accuse you of answering a question with a question, but none of your *four* questions actually answered the question.

Not a copout. A higher power does not equate to a god, merely to a power greater than that we ourselves possess or that which we are incapable of understanding.

so no intelligence or consciousness necessary? by that definition then a black hole is a higher power isn't it?

Does it posses more power than we do?

Or are we now to argue the difference between higher and greater?

Or intelligence and understanding over natural phenomena we may or may not understand?

Or agree to disagree like we always do?

(I like 3. It's always been my fave number.)

i'd accuse you of answering a question with a question, but none of your *four* questions actually answered the question.

The first one answered your question, albeit with a question.

Without a shadow of a doubt intelligence and consciousness is necessary. But only on our part. How else are we to understand anything? The things we strive to understand need neither to be understood.

To answer your question directly; yes, a black hole has more power than we do (given our current level of understanding of it), thus it is a greater power within the definition you present. Is it a higher power? I don't know. Greater? Beyond doubt. Does it require intelligence to understand it? Of course, and more than we possess. Is it a natural phenomena or created by a higher power? (Not your question I admit.), I suspect the former, but who knows?

the definition *i* presented? i was fishing for *your* definition of a "higher power;" *i* didn't present one. you do, however, seem determined to avoid defining "higher power."

• 2 months later...
I am my own God, there is no greater or better God than me! And there is no guy in the sky to "have your back". There is no proof of Satan or Hell. We create our own hell!. If you believe in unfounded supernatural beings and unfounded out of this universe places.Then I'll believe Bigfoot exsists.

By the way just because some were told the story does not make it correct. So begs the question?...

WHO PUT US HERE?!?

who the f*ck are you to to dis peoples belief systems boy!!!

1) is it possible for him to propound his own belief system without somebody taking offense and trying to crucify him for it? the "either you're for us or you're against us" mentality of most organized religions is what i find most annoying/evil/aggressive/insidious about them.

2) i sure hope you know him really really well, cause calling an African-American man "boy" you either ought to know him really really well, or be down on your knees with a huge ****-eating grin plastered across your face. if either of these conditions do not apply, u deserve to be pounded into a greazy dark stain on the pavement (there are multiple locations in Amerikkka where this can be arranged).

First off, let me say that I do not believe in a magical being, all good, all knowing . . . etc. But I do believe that Jesus existed . . . just as Buddha existed . . . as men. They were good moral men who tried to teach their respective followers the good way to live . . . together. I don't see anything wrong with celebrating Jesus' birthday . . . just as we celebrate other less worthy individuals throughout the year. Yes, it's been blown out of proportion and become a money making scheme for the super rich, but it allows all of us to reflect on our lives and also to remember and honor those friends and relatives, both living and dead, before beginning a new year. Christianity doesn't suck . . . people suck!! And that will never change . . .

I agree that both Jesus and Buddha existed. And fair enough celebrate Jesus' birthday - just get the right month cos it aint 25th December bro!!! :twisted:

Who cares what the date was, as long as people get the right message from what he taught.

Hear , hear !!!

What message did he teach you is that from the bible or from man. Did Jesus write the bible do you believe he walked on water cured the sick raised the dead. Why is it that such a profound man does not exist in history only in the bible.

The question still remains who put us here.

Or is that just our way of thinking that if there is a brick wall there has to be something on the other side.