Indians in Thailand

CraigDavidUK

I'm not sure if I interpreted correctly (sorry, if I did) but I got the sense that Indians were not particularly liked by Thais especially against other races. I am a quarter Indian myself (grandparent) but from the UK and didn't realise until someone told me.

Is this true and if so what is the reason and why?

Before any stereotypes come out - I along with many other Indians that I know in the UK are the opposite - fairly wealthy, smell nice, intelligent, quite good looking

I'm not sure if I interpreted correctly (sorry, if I did) but I got the sense that Indians were not particularly liked by Thais especially against other races. I am a quarter Indian myself (grandparent) but from the UK and didn't realise until someone told me.

Is this true and if so what is the reason and why?

Before any stereotypes come out - I along with many other Indians that I know in the UK are the opposite - fairly wealthy, smell nice, intelligent, quite good looking

Dont forget modest :roll:

the racism against Indians and Muslims and Blacks is a reality in Thailand , I ve heard many times harsh words coming from the mouth

of Thai People

be it renting apartments , dating , jobs etc etc , many situations

I ve seen those people who come from these ethnic origins being rejected in all aspects compare to a white farang

in any case Racism is a global phenomenon , sometimes I feel like the

Thai are also jealous from the success of some Indians here

Indians are despised in Thailand (and many other places) primarily because of what is seen as their excessive focus on money matters. In other words, making money is their highest priority in life. They are often seen as exploitative. For example, the building in which I am living in Bangkok was developed by Indians (they are big in real estate), but even now that the condos in my building have been sold, the original Indian developers continue to shamelessly milk the building because they can get away with it. They have no concept of fairness. As a result, "our" Indians are hated by everyone in the building.

In my travels in Eastern Africa earlier this year, I found the same situation as here in Thailand: Indians owned the businesses and were hated by locals. One Zimbabwean engineer that I met told me that when Zimbabwe was ruled by the whites, the Indians were white. And when the blacks came to power, presto, like magic, the Indians became black. His point was that the only "principle" that Indians follow is MONEY.

Another issue that people have with Indians is their general refusal to mix with locals in countries to which they immigrate. It is of course their good right not to mix (be it for religious, cultural or financial reasons), but then they cannot expect to be readily accepted into the societies into which they move if they consider locals to be inferior. This attitude gives the general impression that they are there only to take rather than to become a part of their adopted homeland.

For the above reasons, even I, as a farang, treat Indians with a bit of caution and skepticism. Interestingly, though, when I came to Thailand I had a very positive impression of Indians due to having had a wonderful Indian roommate at university. It appears, however, that he was the exception rather than the rule.

You'll find there is always resentment against successful minorities where ever you go. Thais are a xenophobic people if I can make a sweeping generalization. Yeah yeah, racism is everywhere... but it is definitely alive and well in Thailand.

well that's just the way people are. I think theres a little part of everyone of us that is Racist, Sexist, and Xenophobic...

Interestingly, though, when I came to Thailand I had a very positive impression of Indians due to having had a wonderful Indian roommate at university. It appears, however, that he was the exception rather than the rule.

I'd disagree with that to some extent as I believe that you will find Indians that have been raised or have experience of Western culture (Uk, USA etc) to be very accommodating, friendly, hospitable and humble people. Obviously not all are like that but a large portion of the people that I have encountered are like that.

On a side note, I am not up my own ass as the last point I made on the initial post may indicate, simply just trying to illustrate a point. Anyway all of that is purely subjective.

I better shut up now - Taxi for me, actually make it a tuk tuk!

I think enough is being said about the way some Indians are thought of by some people in some countries so I won't add to it, except to say that they seem to earn respect for thier incredible apptitude for languages. I've met Indians who are fluent in 6 or more languages. Including Thai, Cantonese, Malay, Arabic, English and various Indian languages.

I have a very good overall impression of Indian people. From Indians I've met in England and my time in India, Hong Kong, Thailand and Malaysia. Actually, some of the most charming, charasmatic, interesting and intelligent (and Handsome) people I have ever met have been Indian. I've played cricket with Indians too and they are true sporting gentlemen also.

Indians are despised in Thailand (and many other places) primarily because of what is seen as their excessive focus on money matters. In other words, making money is their highest priority in life. They are often seen as exploitative. For example, the building in which I am living in Bangkok was developed by Indians (they are big in real estate), but even now that the condos in my building have been sold, the original Indian developers continue to shamelessly milk the building because they can get away with it. They have no concept of fairness. As a result, "our" Indians are hated by everyone in the building.

In my travels in Eastern Africa earlier this year, I found the same situation as here in Thailand: Indians owned the businesses and were hated by locals. One Zimbabwean engineer that I met told me that when Zimbabwe was ruled by the whites, the Indians were white. And when the blacks came to power, presto, like magic, the Indians became black. His point was that the only "principle" that Indians follow is MONEY.

Another issue that people have with Indians is their general refusal to mix with locals in countries to which they immigrate. It is of course their good right not to mix (be it for religious, cultural or financial reasons), but then they cannot expect to be readily accepted into the societies into which they move if they consider locals to be inferior. This attitude gives the general impression that they are there only to take rather than to become a part of their adopted homeland.

For the above reasons, even I, as a farang, treat Indians with a bit of caution and skepticism. Interestingly, though, when I came to Thailand I had a very positive impression of Indians due to having had a wonderful Indian roommate at university. It appears, however, that he was the exception rather than the rule.

Who doesn't follow money ???? Narrow Minded Jealous generalization

I along with many other Indians that I know in the UK are the opposite - fairly wealthy, smell nice, intelligent, quite good looking

Pity they can't play cricket to well at the moment Australia 1 India nil (Yawn) (Sigh) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

See u at Sydney .....remember lasttime we scored over 700runs in same ground

Who doesn't follow money ???? Narrow Minded Jealous generalization

Notice that I said "EXCESSIVE focus on money matters", "money is their HIGHEST PRIORITY in life" and "the ONLY principle that Indians follow is money". I didn't say that there was anything wrong with following/seeking money. As you said, everybody does it - and it is necessary. It's how we do it that matters.

As for your comment that I am making a "narrow minded jealous generalization": How can you say that without knowing my economic situation? Maybe I'm wealthier than most Indians - without having to lie, cheat, steal and sell my mother to get that way.

And while we're on the subject, I met a couple of Indians in the past year who have made the following comments to me: "Never trust an Indian.", and "The only Indian you can trust is a dead Indian." Also, my Indian roommate from university is now working in America as a financial adviser. He has success with every nationality EXCEPT his fellow Indians - because Indians don't trust other Indians. What does that tell you about them?

Anyway, feel free to give your business to Indians if you wish. That doesn't bother me one bit. But I choose to avoid them whenever possible. If I'm being narrow minded, then I'll be the one to suffer, right?

First off: hands up if you got your ass whooped in the first test in Melbourne.

That means you, India :lol:

Secondly, I work with an awful lot of Indians (in IT) and they are by far the easiest race to work with. Genial, intelligent, ready to go beyond the envelope etc. The only misgiving I have is that theyre not all that keen to show initiative, maybe its a cultural thing.

I have thai friends and one night at a restaurant they all remarkd that they disliked and distrusted Indians. When I asked why, the only objective comment they could make was that they "smell".

Go figure.

India and Thailand have long relationship as far as I can recall, since Suvarnabhumi period. (approx 193 B.C.) Many Thai?s names are from Sanskrit and Blali (for exp my real Thai name is from Sanskrit).

If I remember correctly during Marshal (dictator) Plaek Pibulsonggram ( around 1938 something), his government allowed Indians to immigrated to Thailand. (with one conditon, they must landed at Donmaung Airport only). Many working class Indias came to Thailand because they thought they could have better life in Thailand. After some while the government had announced ?5 professions for Thai only? I can?t remember them all. The 2 of the 5 were pedicab driver and barber. (Those policies are kind of funny btw) in order to keep Indians from those jobs.

For the question ?Indians were not particularly liked by Thais, Is this true and if so what is the reason and why??

I don?t think we dislike Indians but Indians are close themselves. They be with their people. I never have any Indian friends when I live in Thailand or have I ever worked with them? The Indians I met in Thailand were in their shops. They do their own things and have their own society in Thailand. Some Indians don?t even go to the same school with other Thai children. So it?s difficult to get to know them. Maybe that?s the reason.

But I know few Indians in Denmark and I think they are friendly and nice people.

without a lot of philosophy or explanation let me make it so clear

for all , if you are a person who has a dark skin regardless of your race or nationality , then you will be certainly disliked by the Thai .

some very white north indians with green eyes receive very different treatment in Thailand , I believe it s a matter of a skin colour rather then anything else

the thai themselves discriminate each other :lol::lol:

There is a difference between those born and raised in the UK and those that emigrate to the UK. But on the whole I have found Indians that I have come into contact with in the UK very hospitable and friendly.

Indians not doing business with Indians is bollox.

I do agree with regards to the issue of integrating with the wider community issue as I think that is somethign that should be worked on. I work with about 40 different nationalities in my office and I love it.

without a lot of philosophy or explanation let me make it so clear

for all , if you are a person who has a dark skin regardless of your race or nationality , then you will be certainly disliked by the Thai .

Your comment was about as accurate as a drunk shooting an arrow. Back to schewl wid ya!

this is a sad reality in Thailand , sometimes I hangout with friends

from African origins and I do hear very harsh words coming out

from Thai mouths thinking that I do not understand Thai language

yes the thai are racist , but certainly less then the Japanese or the Koreans

.Spanish people are not racist at all towards them, since the so inclined part of our population is busy with arabs and black people.

make sure that no one hear you saying that especially while you are in Bangkok because some of them can chop you into small pieces

and feed you to the dogs :lol::lol:

Scary what some people can do with a chopping knife isn't it? :roll:

this is a sad reality in Thailand, sometimes I hangout with friends

from African origins and I do hear very harsh words coming out

from Thai mouths thinking that I do not understand Thai language

That happens in Spain too... and in France, Germany, Russia, China, The Fidji Islands and Vatican City!

Why are you so bitter about Thais being racists? Not all of them are, that's for sure, and then there are racists everywhere in the world, but no, for you the evil ones are the Thais! Why?

generally 99% the racist people are those who are the big losers in life they are either drug addicts or jobless or having a zero education degree

examples (the skin heads nazi in Germany or the negrophobia in Spain)

since they couldn't have the same success in life as the migrant who are hard working and better educated

but let them die in their jealously anyway today the Indians are one of the richest and successful businessmen

Mittal lakshmi is the richest man in whole Europe

also take a look at the wikipedia list of billionaires

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_the_number_of_billionaires

and look how many of them are in the list compare this to the Spaniards for example

Why I think It's not too bad for them to work in bkk? because I'm working with a lot of indian co-workers in my office. Oh yes, my boss is indian.

From me to all thai people and all the other nationalities :

I think whoever comes to work with thai people, we are not racism but just don't make us afraid. 2 problems for working with indians of thai people are bad smell and accent when they speak english.

For my boss, he understands thai people, thai culture, thai food as well because he is buddism. that's why it's easy for him to understand. but most of indians are hindu and vegetarains. it's hard for them to adapt themselves.

So please don't think too much about how to work with indian people. You should worry how to advise them how to do and adapt themselves to work and live with thai people. I believe, if you try to advise them, they will try to understand and try to do the new things in the new home.

From me to all indians :

Be yourself is the best thing but sometime if it's too much and make problem for someone around you. I think this time is the time to change and start new thing for anybody but please don't change yourself. You don't need to do or live as thai people. You need to learn about thai people.

I wish all the best for you all.

Bull-sh*t. That's your imagination making up a completely unreal situation. Many many morrocan kids in Spain drop out of school early and many get involved in crime and drugs. Of course there are also hard working marrocans, but of all the inmigrants in Spain the morrocans are on top of crime statistics (especially rapes and tourist rip-offs).

I'm surely not one of those who goes around looking bad at morrocan people, and I have morrocan friends too. But maybe this tendence to violence and crime is why morrocans suffer more from racism than, for example, indians or chinese people? Think about it. The better educated and succesful inmigrants in Spain usually don't live in ghettos and/or are victims of racism.

of course if the local population block the access of jobs and success

to those ethnic community they will have to live in a ghettos

so I put the blame on the Government and also the local

people who have very negative view on them thus refusing

to view them as a benefit to the country

the issue here is not tied to any particular nation or nationality

all minor ethic communities suffer in Europe .

don't forget that Europe is the birthplace of Nazism , racism

and Colonialism

the Europeans politicians have to be sent to Singapore or Canada , where it s the perfect example of many community from different religions can cohabit peacefully and contribute to the success of the country.

some of the people who were living in the so called ghettoes of Europe found great success once they migrated to countries like Canada

I saw a TV documentary where even some of them became even a head of a university in Montreal and managed to finish his Ph.d