Hip-Hop & Rap thread.

CocoaBrotha

Do you like hip-hop?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like hip-hop?

• I enjoy it!..I love to dance to it!
    • I hate it/Hip-Hop is dead!
    • sometimes

stopped listening to it after 50c's second album but before that... or The Game's first, not sure which was released later, ok b4 that

KRS One

Ghostface Killah

The Roots

Nas

2 Pac, yep no denying

LA the Darkman

TI

Tha Pharcide

De La Soul

Dr Dre

Jay Z

Bustah Rhymes offcourse

and my all time favorites OUTKAST, I've been playing their music every week at least once for the past 5 or 6 years.

i don't listen to hip hop non stop, but it definitely does take up some space on my hard drives.

lately for hip hop it's been Blackalicious... "Lotus Flower" is one of the best hip hop songs ever and not just because it's got George Clinton on it (although that dont' hurt now does it).

but before all the patzers start in, a lil' message to 'em: if you ain't heard of Kool Herc, YOU AIN'T OLD SCHOOL.

and after the "old school" patzers, the "i hate hip hop" hillbillies will ride on in, can't wait.

this thread oughttta be fun (again)...

• 2 weeks later...

but before all the patzers start in, a lil' message to 'em: if you ain't heard of Kool Herc, YOU AIN'T OLD SCHOOL.

I think it's really a sign of the times... I mean, back in the day, dudes like Rakim and KRS One dropped music that revolutionized the genre. I honestly think you had to be there to fully appreciated the music and the impact it made. Even if you were born in the early 80s you can still appreciate Rakim's music as it was (and still is popular) for a long time. The younger generation hasn't had a rapper that revolutionized the genre in a long time, if ever, so they just don't understand. Sure, there's been rappers that dropped hot albums, but the style of lyrics and the flawless flow that Rakim delivered influenced a whole generation of emcees.

It's like I said, it's just a sign that times are changing. There's so much music out that I can't get with today, but Rakim's music will always be a throw back to a certain period in our lives. I still respect dude's craft though, he's one of those emcees who's flow just gets crisper and crisper. It's just harder for the younger audience to relate to him because of the generation gap.

Nwa, doc, above the law, cpo, ice-t, sir-mix-a-lot, I bought all the west coast stuff when it came out in the 80's early 90's. Then I kept buying a bit dre and snoop and it kind of ended there. I also have eric b and rakim, pe, big daddy kane, biz markie, gangstarr, 2live crew, geto boys. What I do NOT have is KRS1 stuff, i dont like his rap style, dont like his beats.

In 89 or so I was at a public enemy concert in germany and there were a lot of black guys, usually GI's stationed there, who occupied the front lines and they punched and pushed all white guys back who got too close to the front so that it almost ended in a brawl.

I think it's really a sign of the times... I mean, back in the day, dudes like Rakim and KRS One dropped music that revolutionized the genre. I honestly think you had to be there to fully appreciated the music and the impact it made. Even if you were born in the early 80s you can still appreciate Rakim's music as it was (and still is popular) for a long time. The younger generation hasn't had a rapper that revolutionized the genre in a long time, if ever, so they just don't understand. Sure, there's been rappers that dropped hot albums, but the style of lyrics and the flawless flow that Rakim delivered influenced a whole generation of emcees.

It's like I said, it's just a sign that times are changing. There's so much music out that I can't get with today, but Rakim's music will always be a throw back to a certain period in our lives. I still respect dude's craft though, he's one of those emcees who's flow just gets crisper and crisper. It's just harder for the younger audience to relate to him because of the generation gap.

well it's a thing too. hip hop has now been around forever innit. run out of ground to break after a while. like jazz, even with the free jazz and modal **** that went on in the 60s, nobody could ever invent as much as satch did back in the day. coz it was all new, and someone had to figure out the grammar of the music. i doubt if someone as brilliant as satch came along today if they coudl possibly have the same impact, because they're not first, and not much left that needs to be invented. hip hop's not there yet but moving along.

i think stuff like PE or Rakim or digital underground---now people know all the stuff that came after--don't realize what it was like to hear that **** for the first time, how weird and exciting that was. now they're all influences that have been absorbed by everyone. i think the dudes layin down the tracks know all the history but the kids don't always trace the history back (unless they want to make music).

If I'd have to say old school, I'd like Run DMC. HOWEVER, I don't really dig it, prefer newer styles like Outkast because they take care of the music as well, I liked a lot of dr. Dre & Neptunes beats, Kanye West knows how to put some soul in songs he produces as well.

When I was in Miami 50 cent's - In Da Club came out, back then we thought it was probably some local miami guy who got some appreciation from the local scene, but I guess we were wrong huh. Anyway I honestly thought that song was of of the Chiayn mayn! I liked his debut album as well, songs like Prankster. Songs like that just have a lot of energy in it.

Guys I really never understood why they were so big are guys like Snoop who is just bitching and complaining in a very slow tempo, making slow rap sounding worse than it is because Slick Rick DOES know how to bring it slow but not painfull.

agree on Outkast 4 sure. when they're at their best they're very inventive both lyrically and musically. Kanye West has a wicked sense of a hook and his success both as producer and on his own records is well deserved.

fiddy is alright and has made some decent records, i'm kinda over the whole gangsta pose even if in his case there's some legitimacy to his backstory.

having grown up on the stuff and learnt the backstory, i'm pretty fussy about hip hop. most of what's "new" ain't all that new and i feel like 'seen it, heard it, tired, next.' however, best hip hop album of the 2ks in my opinion is Blackalicious/ "The Craft" (2k5). outfuckingstanding. especially "Lotus FLower."

Everyday I hear more and more artists complain about Jay like they can't read the writing on the wall. I love hip-hop, but-it- is-done!. It's the saaaame old ****. The mainstream public don't buy that BS no more. Come on be honest, theres only so many ways you can tell me how you "flipped a brick" or bust "guns". At what point does it move on?.

In my honest opinion some artists are not gonna sell no matter how much money you put behind them. Any rapper that raps about street **** are only gonna sell to people in the street. And to be perfectly honest nobody in the street goes to Best Buy to buy that **** no more when they can get it from the corner store when they order there four wings and fries.

Jay-Z album didn't do as well as expected last go round neither did TI or any other your favorite top selling rap artist. Every things has its day artist should be happy selling two hundred thousand and be happy because thats the new platinum.

I was talking with my friends about this last week after got tired of hearing the Soulja Boy " Crank dat, Superman that Hoe" for a million times in the club. There was nothing, no meaning, no love in the lyric.

I used to like Kanye West but changed my mind after went to see him on his concert. Good God Common and Lupe Fiasco was there as well. KW was so bad performing live. I felt like it's not in him.

I felt in love with Common in the other hand. I love all his work, specially those with Erykah Badu.

Other than that ...

Here is my list ... Have a lot more but so far I never get tired of listening to these ..

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five, Beastie Boys, Mos Def, Common, LL Cool J( :wink:)

I was talking with my friends about this last week after got tired of hearing the Soulja Boy " Crank dat, Superman that Hoe" for a million times in the club. There was nothing, no meaning, no love in the lyric.

I used to like Kanye West but changed my mind after went to see him on his concert. Good God Common and Lupe Fiasco was there as well. KW was so bad performing live. I felt like it's not in him.

I felt in love with Common in the other hand. I love all his work, specially those with Erykah Badu.

Other than that ...

Here is my list ... Have a lot more but so far I never get tired of listening to these ..

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five, Beastie Boys, Mos Def, Common, LL Cool J( :wink:)

I think Soulja boy IS very very irritating, that kind of hip hop is some real bull isht. It is also disturbing that Big Boi from Outkast seems to be part of the act. Kanye west might not perform good I dunno coz I never got to see him live yet but I have to agree wit Zeus that he is one hell of a producer.

One of my favorite live artists in Hip Hop has to be Red Man, I don't think his music is very good but he has had some nice runs with Method Man I think. About 5 years ago I saw him performing and he really knows how to get the crowd going, all of the sudden a guy came running with his head down and dreadlocks almost touching the floor and he then jumped up and it was dj Kool coming to clear his throat, that was a nice performance with the west side of the crowd under RedMan and the Eastside led by dj Kool and then letting the crowd go at each other :o

Other than that ...

One of my favorite live artists in Hip Hop has to be Red Man, I don't think his music is very good but he has had some nice runs with Method Man I think.

Kinda like....This one?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ioEpvPc1rQ0

Other than that ...

One of my favorite live artists in Hip Hop has to be Red Man, I don't think his music is very good but he has had some nice runs with Method Man I think.

Kinda like....This one?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ioEpvPc1rQ0

yup,

from your profile picture I see you like the celts, you must have a good year then, I think they're actually gonna pull it off this year, Although Detroit can be a pain in their ass. Or maybe the Lakers after the latest trade. But I've put my money on the celts.

• 7 months later...

Just a response to those who say there aren't any good rappers anymore: There are, they just aren't well publicized. If you look well enough, you'll find artists/groups like Immortal Technique, Lupe Fiasco, Jedi Mind Tricks, Eyedea, Tonedeff, Atmosphere and many more who despite living in today's age of degraded rap, still manage to make quality music.

Oh! and also,

Any PE fans here? I am more than sure there are!. Just finished listening to afew of there hits from "back in da day" and man it sounds sooooooo refreshing rather than listening to the mounds of bullshit that's out today.

**** Soulja Boy! :roll:

Flash playing Glasgow in 5 weeks - cant wait. 3rd time to see him!!

cocoa - ever checked out any UK hip hop??

Know a wee asian girl who is sh*t hot, friend of mine;

do search on google for mc soom t or monkey tribe and tell me what u think??

:twisted:

I just checked Mc Soom T and I wasn't feeling it at all. Sounds ametuerish.

The guy I currently follow is Dizzie Rascal. I like is flow, energy and delivery. He did a collabaration with UGK a few years ago that I still listen too. Here's the link.