Can you here me... yes i hear

valetudo

Apparently its abuse, something about being a lizard! The big water lizard kind, looks like a smaller version of a monitor.

I have talked with my friends about this alot and I guess we just have to accept that being a lizard is one of the worst things you can be for a Thai! lol

Its obviously a deep cultural thing steeped in history, because really being called a lizard doesn't seem that bad to farang.

It seems to be used as abuse, but among the working class male (and occaisionally female) its used rather haphazardly in jest and general chit chat with close friends.

Probably not a word to pick up and use. Rather a word to be tucked away in the files of your memory for situations that you just want to explode in.... but then again, expect an equally hostile reaction (Or total laughter if they are shocked enough to 'hear' this word from a farang).

Will give you all kinds of street creditability but the average person will probably look down on you if you use it (in any situation)....

A word to be remembered but avoided...

eye hea

i hear

i here

eye hee a

how ever its bloody spelt, what is the exact translation and what what context and situations can it be used

I hear / eye hee-a means you are useless / the worste beat that they ever want to be close to Thais say this when they are very angry with someone in order to tell them that they are as bad as the worst animal ( ungly low lizard) that they want to be clolse to or want to see again in their life

It is very rude, and it is not acceptable in any classes of Thai society . as much as you say to someone that " you are such an ungly creature"

Kassie

who the f*ck is tommy

No that should e Alice :P

exactly... for 24 years living next door to her. It's so sad

the version i remember is "who the f*ck is feyenoord."

Yup might've been for winning the league only once in 24 years or so, although I bet it was actually Ajax they sang instead of Feyenoord because Ajax sounds a bit more like Alice.

eye hea

i hear

i here

eye hee a

how ever its bloody spelt, what is the exact translation and what what context and situations can it be used

Eye Hea = µÒàËÕÂà (No meaning)

I hear = ©Ñ¹¿Ñ§ÃÂÙè - Self-explanatory

I here = ©Ñ¹·Õè¹×é - Self-explanatory (needs verb to be) or (©Ñ¹ÃÂÙè·Õè¹Õé ), "I am here".

Eye hee a = µÒÎÕÃà - No meaning (I think) unless with "Ë", not "ÃŽ"

Just answer the question peen-arse, sorry p'ant

Guest sandalwood
If you hear any Thai girl shouts "I - HERE" "EYE HEAR" or "I-HEAR" = äÃéàËÕé in Thai to you, please walk away. She doesn't deserve your attention.

Interesting.

In South Africa, (in English), "I hear you", is understood (mano-a-mano) as meaning "I'm telling you the truth /I understand totally".

There is no ambiguity.

Bottom line; "don't me push any further".

Co-incidence maybe, but what price communication when we really need it?

who the f*ck is tommy

No that should e Alice :P

exactly... for 24 years living next door to her. It's so sad

the version i remember is "who the f*ck is feyenoord."

Yup might've been for winning the league only once in 24 years or so, although I bet it was actually Ajax they sang instead of Feyenoord because Ajax sounds a bit more like Alice.

i seriously doubt it was Ajax. Olympic stadium, Feyenoord match and all.

• 3 months later...

The big monitor lizards (as seen in Lumpini Park) are called Tua Ngern Tua Tong - which translates as silver and gold animal.

However, Tua Hia is the nickname which kind of translates as 'f#cking animal' because the monitor lizards are loathed by Thai people.

'Ai Hia' is used for men. 'Ai' is a pronoun meaning 'you' for males. The female equivalent is 'ee'. They both mean 'you', but are extremely rude. You should only use them with people you WANT to make angry, or VERY close friends.

'Hia' doesn't seem to have a literal translation. So 'ai hia' is like calling someone a f#cking disgusting animal, but using the most vulgar language possible.

Be VERY careful...

The big monitor lizards (as seen in Lumpini Park) are called Tua Ngern Tua Tong - which translates as silver and gold animal.

However, Tua Hia is the nickname which kind of translates as 'f#cking animal' because the monitor lizards are loathed by Thai people.

'Ai Hia' is used for men. 'Ai' is a pronoun meaning 'you' for males. The female equivalent is 'ee'. They both mean 'you', but are extremely rude. You should only use them with people you WANT to make angry, or VERY close friends.

'Hia' doesn't seem to have a literal translation. So 'ai hia' is like calling someone a f#cking disgusting animal, but using the most vulgar language possible.

Be VERY careful...