Any i-freaking-dea?

Kitschiguy

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me? I need to identify the names (written in Thai) of the Thai equivalents of the following parts/figures of speech.

1) Tmesis - when a word is separated and has another word inserted. i.e Abso-*******-lutely.

2) Pun or Paronomasia - a phrase that deliberately exploits 2 similar sounding words, often used as tabloid newspaper headlines eg. A fat person jogging with an i-pod = i-podge.

Chars,

Tmesis is a linguistic phenomenon or figure of speech in which a word is separated into two parts, with other words occurring between them.

One kind of tmesis involves the insertion of a word or phrase into another word, often for humorous effect. The insertion may occur between the parts of a compound word, or between syllable boundaries (dystmesis).

>> from Wikipedia

Actually, I 'm not so sure about Tmesis... but i'd rather think about ÊÃÒÊ and ʹ¸Ô = compounding ... to compound two words to create the new word.

A pun (or paronomasia) is a phrase that deliberately exploits confusion between similar-sounding words for humorous or rhetorical effect

>> from Wikipedia

Pun or Paronomasia = wordplay = ¡ÒÃàÅè¹¤Ó ¡ÒÃàÅè¹ÅÔé¹ ¡ÒÃàÅè¹Êӹǹ

(n.)

i hope it's ok for you... :wink:

• 6 months later...