Bangkok: 2033.

PeeMarc

Question

The first time I came to Bangkok was more than 25 years ago, as a young backpacker.

I've seen incredible change since then. Not just in a physical way (buildings, expressways, BTS, Sukhumvit Rd, new airport etc etc), but also change in the people living in Bangkok.

Can you imagine what Bangkok will be like in another 25 years? How will it be?

Bangkok: 2033.

:arrow:

23 answers to this question

ammm..interesting

anyway i will give you the answer later... now i'm trying to recall my memory how BKK in the past looklikes... ammmm...25 years ago... i was 3 year-old girl...

i remember when i was 6 years old;

- oil price was 8 baht/L.... 22 years later... 33 baht/L

- no traffic jam ... now a big jam

- less tall building ... now many many buildings and been heightened

- not sure for som tam... but i think it might cost less than 10 baht

- yes, sidewalks broken

etc.

let me think :wink:

ammm..interesting

anyway i will give you the answer later... now i'm trying to recall my memory how BKK in the past looklikes... ammmm...25 years ago... i was 3 year-old girl...

- yes, sidewalks broken

etc.

we know what bangkok was 25 years ago. That's easy to find out and know.... but what is your vision of what bkk could be like in 2033?

ammm..interesting

- yes, sidewalks broken

etc.

we know what bangkok was 25 years ago. That's easy to find out and know.... but what is your vision of what bkk could be like in 2033?

As i said...let me think.... how do you foresee the future without thinking about the past or present.... :?

i will try to draw BKK picture could be in my head... will let you know... now my brain is switched off... hew kaw :wink:

so... what you guys are saying is that Bangkok will not exist in this location within the next 25 years? Or will things be done to compensate, such as what is done in places like Amsterdam and Mumbai?

Or will Bangkok move, yet again?

Sure there will be things done, there is no need to draw any horror scenarios now... alternatively bangkok will move, yet again, to... PATTAYA.

The wisely built highway will be completely ready soon, for all Bangkokians to move their belongings quickly to pattaya as soon as the sea levels flood the city (and will have received its 3rd or 4th asphalt surface by that time) :lol:

Well, if Bangkok does get submerged, that will give the powers that be an opportunity to build a brand new capital city using advanced urban planning methods that should create a far more livable environment and better quality of life for the people that live there.

Hmm....

Never mind. Expect all the same mistakes all over again.

Well, if Bangkok does get submerged, that will give the powers that be an opportunity to build a brand new capital city using advanced urban planning methods that should create a far more livable environment and better quality of life for the people that live there.

Hmm....

one big Suvarnabumi! yay!

Never mind. Expect all the same mistakes all over again.

if that's the case i'm quite terrified of the toilet shortage to come :shock:

things will change a lot less in the next 25 years than in the previous 25.

I disagree (although it does depend on how you measure change). In many ways change should keep accellerating, as it has for the past centuries.

Or are you saying that change, like a kind of entropy, peaks out or slows down?

What would Bangkok be like if all the changed that happened in the past 25 years happened again, but faster?

I dont think it will stop...no city in the world has "stopped" changing. I dont think there is any reason for Bangkok to stop changing.

I am surprised that you mentioned that Bangkok has moved...I had not realised that...the capital of Siam has certainly moved, but I thought that the village of Bangkok had always been about where it is now...certainly for the past few hundred years...but I could be wrong.

A city reflects it's inhabitants, so the only way that a city could simply stop growing and changing is if the inhabitants were to do that themselves in the first place...and that would be counter to human nature...

What we have to ask, and I think is the point of this thread, is in what direction will Bangkok "move"...in a cutlural and developmental sense.

I imagine places like Minburi and Pak Kret becoming city suburbs; certainly not inner-city, but certainly the concept of them being "way out there"..as it is now...will change as Bangkok grows out to meet it's neighbours. Greater Bangkok will expand, hopefully preceded by (ok maybe I'm dreaming here) the support infrastructure that it requires to support it's teeming millions.

Lets see...population...just a guess, but as it may officially be about 8 million now, while we all KNOW it is more like 10 to 12 million, lets say easily 20 million.

I truly hope that rail and other forms of high speed convenience transport has pushed out with the growth of the suburbs, and I also expect to see a greater interest in single "bungalow" home ownership, simply because it is the way people do things...there might in fact be a real gap, a divide, between city living (apartments down-town - gee I hate that phrase) and true individual homes away from the city, maybe with not much in between...or at least I hope that there will not be much in between, because historically that tends to end up being the lower class housing...leaning in the direction of slums - often euphemistically called "housing developments" based on large scale, low cost apartments...see London (awful place) to get an example of what I mean.

Well enough for now...

Greer

In all likelihood, Bangkok will be underwater by that time.

Get your swim gear on.

I think the capital will slowly move away from the water. The idea to build a huge wall around the city is just plain stupid. Moving the entire city somewhere else is possible, but with the way this government moves...it's just not going to happen.

Get your swim gear on.

I think the capital will slowly move away from the water. The idea to build a huge wall around the city is just plain stupid. Moving the entire city somewhere else is possible, but with the way this government moves...it's just not going to happen.

Dude, you've only been gone from Thailand a couple of weeks and you've already forgotten the Bangkok Hustle? They'll build a wall. There's tons of money to be skimmed off that contract. Then when the wall fails the same people who built the wall will sell you sandbags to protect your property.

Dude, you've only been gone from Thailand a couple of weeks and you've already forgotten the Bangkok Hustle? They'll build a wall. There's tons of money to be skimmed off that contract. Then when the wall fails the same people who built the wall will sell you sandbags to protect your property.

Yep! Moving Bangkok will be an impossible task moneywise and also concerning location. All around, the land is not more than 2 - 5 meters above sea level, so you would have to move some 10 million people (not included the agglomerations within and close to the province) to....where...????

Yep! Moving Bangkok will be an impossible task moneywise and also concerning location. All around, the land is not more than 2 - 5 meters above sea level, so you would have to move some 10 million people (not included the agglomerations within and close to the province) to....where...????

Oh - and don't forget that with building the wall, some people will get billions of tea money whereas when moving, the profit would not be as secure as in option one.

Get your swim gear on.

how long have u been away ???? off course building a big wall is plain stupid ... that's part of the reason why it's sure to happen !!!