Top pound 4 pound + greatest fight ever

MisterMatlock

I think I was referring to actual boxers... As entertaining as LaraGirl was "sparring" with Afook06, there are "proper" boxing matches to be talked about.

Ok mate, what "proper" matches would you recommend I download?

Umm... That was kind of the question I was posing to other people...

Ahh I see, so we can't actually ask you. Hmmm...

It's a bit selfish isn't it?

However, in that case, download some nigel benn, chris eubanks and michael watson.

Yes, very selfish. Already have the Nigel Benn/Gerald McLellan fight. Still don't agree with how the fight progressed despite Benn getting blasted through the ropes and floored twice... Also, for all others, no need to concentrate SOLELY on fighters from one country... It's open to ALL countries.

I'm 31.....so i was 9 when Lloyd Honeyghan took the Welterweight title,i still remember it now and still watch it!Arguably there has been better fights and fighters since then........but back in his day Honeghan was the best pound 4 pound!

Good question by the way.......

thank you waldo for going back to the topic. i hope PiAnt stops making fun of me.

I'm 31.....so i was 9 when Lloyd Honeyghan took the Welterweight title,i still remember it now and still watch it!Arguably there has been better fights and fighters since then........but back in his day Honeghan was the best pound 4 pound!

Lloyd Honeyghan was a great fighter. Seen a few different fights with him. So how about "greatest fight ever"?

I remember watching a honeyghan fight, cant remember the opponents name or what round it was but they are waiting for the bell, Honeyghans bouncing up and down and the other guy is still sitting on his seat.

Ding ding and Honeyghan runs over and whacks the guy just as he's got to his feet and KO's him.....The guys corner are going crazy and once he comes too, so is his opponent. Big fracas in the ring and all sorts !!

I think it was Harry Carpenter doing the post match interview and asked him his views on the controversial incident...... Honeyghan goes " well the bell went DING and I went DONG " classic :lol:

I remember watching a honeyghan fight, cant remember the opponents name or what round it was but they are waiting for the bell, Honeyghans bouncing up and down and the other guy is still sitting on his seat.

Ding ding and Honeyghan runs over and whacks the guy just as he's got to his feet and KO's him.....The guys corner are going crazy and once he comes too, so is his opponent. Big fracas in the ring and all sorts !!

I think it was Harry Carpenter doing the post match interview and asked him his views on the controversial incident...... Honeyghan goes " well the bell went DING and I went DONG " classic :lol:

Just watched Vinny Pazienza-Lloyd Honeyghan. Not even close... Honeyghan wasn't even CLOSE to being a P4P fighter of all time...

I'm gonna fall off my chair and sh*t myself if people actually comment boxing and the topic.

This is a TF forum and you're not a rookie. You should have known what you were getting yourself into. 8)

I don't know about the best fighter or match "ever". But lately, I found Kelly Pavlik's fights highly entertaining.

Benn vs McClellan...brutal

Yeah. It was definitely a brutal fight. McLellan ended up deaf, blind, and unable to walk after the fight from what I imagine was a hemorrhage in his brain. The fight should have ended when McLellan dropped Benn the first two times, but the french referee gave Benn a full 13 seconds after he got dumped through the ropes. Surprising fight since McLellan was at least one weight class below Benn but was still able to drop him twice.

On one hand, it was unfortunate to see McLellan's career end like that. Apparently, the guy had unlimited potential as a boxer and was one of the all-time "heaviest hitters". On the other hand, it probably couldn't have happened to a "nicer guy"... McLellan, from many accounts, was a poor excuse for a human being. He was heavily involved in dogfighting and some of the tales you can read about him on the net (taken from interviews) will make your stomach turn.

Pound for pound . . .

Well that's got to be Sugar Ray Leonard . . .

even though his pounds kept changing . . .

he beat . . . Duran, Hearns and Marvin Haggler . . .

A great accomplishment I would say . . .

Leonard would definitely be on any person's all-time pound for pound list. Big wins over all-time greats, fantastic footwork, incredible hand speed, and better than average power. Combine all that with a great chin and the ability to get up after being floored. Classic stuff.

Stevie JR was right:

It's Sugar Ray Robinson.

Not Leonard.

Anyone I ever met who saw both of them fight said Robinson was better.

From ESPN and the International Boxing Hall of Fame:

"Pound for pound, the best." The claim has been used to describe many boxers, but it was invented for Sugar Ray Robinson.

Never mind the weight class. When it came to boxing, Robinson was as good as it got.

Muhammad Ali called Sugar Ray "the king, the master, my idol."

"Robinson could deliver a knockout blow going backward," boxing historian Bert Sugar said.

Robinson held the world welterweight title from 1946 to 1951, then was the middleweight champion five times between 1951 and 1960.

At his peak, his record was 128-1-2 with 84 knockouts.

And he never took a 10-count in his 200 fights, though he once suffered a TKO.

His one early loss was to Jake LaMotta, his career-long rival. (Robinson's record was 40-0 at the time) They fought six times, and Robinson won five.

"I fought Sugar Ray so often, I almost got diabetes," LaMotta later said.

Among the fellow Hall-of-Famers Robinson beat are Henry Armstrong, Kid Gavilan, Carmen Basilio, Jake LaMotta, Rocky Graziano, Gene Fullmer and Fritzie Zivic. Robinson was so efficient for so long that he won his first Fighter of the Year award in 1942 and his second in 1951.

As recently as 1997, Robinson was renamed the best of all time -- "pound for pound" -- when The Ring magazine chose him the best boxer in its 75 years of publication.

Total Bouts: 202

Won: 175

Lost: 19

Drew: 6

KOs: 109

No Contest: 2

Of Robinson's 19 career defeats, 16 occurred after 1955. Five of them came in his final 15 fights. He fought 18 world champions during his career.

(My note: In the era Robinson fought, there was only ONE champion in each division, and no junior or super classes.)

With his flashy pink Cadillac convertible and his Harlem nightclub, Sugar Ray was as much a part of the New York scene in the forties and fifties as the Copa and Sinatra.

He was the pioneer of boxing's bigger-than-life entourages, including a secretary, barber, masseur, voice coach, a coterie of trainers, beautiful women, a dwarf mascot and lifelong manager George Gainford.