Trouble in Thailand!

tonyP

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are PAD. it happened cuz of the situation at Gov. house.

Thai airline allow their employees to get the day off and no need vacation request forms.

Thanks bCool - I understand they were PAD - I was wondering if anyone had an update further than the Phuket Gazette. Was wondering if they blocked all passengers at 3pm and I had heard that things got violent.

Shitty thing that they are blocking air traffic, roads outside Bangkok and so worth. I wonder how blocking air traffic helps the cause but...

It is interesting situation as normally police would have long time ago broken the protests when they started doing it in unlawful places but due to the fact that protestors are like those anarchists who join oppositions of for example World Bank events, only purporse being begging for confrontation and violence.

Anarchists, they do it for twisted "fun", PAD protestors because they think it would help their cause to be "martyrs". So police has it impossible to take normal action by the book and have to make themselves fools in the eyes of everyone when they go to COURT to get INJUCTION for protestors not to protest in places not reserved for it. This can happen only in countries like Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, any of the East African and sub-Saharan countries and other countries that have failed to experience any progression in the last twenty or thirty years. <provoke>

10 of my guests are unable to catch their flights, we have alread received 5 future cancellations and my team witnessed one foreigner beaten by protestors at the airport as he tried to enter the airport to catch his flight!

Hold on to your hats boys and girls - things are going to get rough!

My concern is not the business it is for the country and it's people. Our customers are Thailands customers and todays disruptions are going to have drastic effects on tourism and Thailands global image. Things are only going to escalate from here - in fact a peaceful solution I think is beyond anyone's grasp by now.

It is no longer political protestors but armed vigilante mobs disrupting civil liberties and services. It is going to take time for Phuket at least to climb back from this one.

That's horrible to hear that the protesters are beating foreigners as well. Tourists shouldn't be caught in the middle of problems between the people and the government, though it's bound to happen at some point.

It looks pretty bad on CNN right now...officers clubbing their own people...people pushing down barricades yelling and screaming. This is not Thailand. I pray that no one dies.

Not me -- bcool can be too much of a rabid nationalist some times!

That's what makes it so intruiging!

I guess that's true if ill informed and emotional views that are devoid of a coherent and transparent logic is interesting to you.

A good person can have really rotten ideas

The problem with all strands of rabid nationalism is that the people most badly affected are their own people. Or those foreigners who happen to be living in the country.

If the reports are true about foreigners being beat up at the airport just trying to make it to the flight and other such things are confirmed then Thailand is screwed in the short and mid term.

So far there has been no news of anything major happening on either any of the British, Irish or international TV news.

The People Against Democracy [PAD] have not yet ruined the country so anyway lets try think positive and hope for the best?

I guess that's true if ill informed and emotional views that are devoid of a coherent and transparent logic is interesting to you.

The problem with all strands of rabid nationalism is that the people most badly affected are their own people. Or those foreigners who happen to be living in the country.

If the reports are true about foreigners being beat up at the airport just trying to make it to the flight and other such things are confirmed then Thailand is screwed in the short and mid term.

So far there has been no news of anything major happening on either any of the British, Irish or international TV news.

The People Against Democracy [PAD] have not yet ruined the country so anyway lets try think positive and hope for the best?

Perhaps all are entitled to their views be they ill informed, emotionally driven or otherwise. Clearly you have felt it acceptable to express yours despite the fact they could also be considered ill informed.

Perhaps all are entitled to their views be they ill informed, emotionally driven or otherwise. Clearly you have felt it acceptable to express yours despite the fact they could also be considered ill informed.

So your only point actually is to say some people might say I am ill informed... etc etc. Well then it would up to them to point out exactly where I am misinformed or lacking in relevant information .

Correct me if I am wrong but I understand that the current Government of Thailand was elected? By the majority of Thai people and the result accepted by the army and the international observers [who are neutral] No?

The PAD which actually goes by the name of Peoples Alliance for Democracy are in violation of laws and court orders, and have declared that they will not comply until the government resigns. All because some of its leaders have decided that this should be so?

Well that makes it clear to me, and so many others whom have discussed this with, as meaning that really the PAD is a misnomer and that indeed the PAD really stands for People Against Democracy. For is that not their wish?To scrap the constitution and appoint MPs in parliament?

Some people think the world is flat and yes by all means they are entitled to hold such a view and even express it!

However I find that a more clinical and factual based approach in which we consider as much evidence as we can get to form a view is actually the best way to get as close to an ultimate truth as we ever can.

I may well turn out to be wrong when I say :

"If the reports are true about foreigners being beat up at the airport just trying to make it to the flight and other such things are confirmed then Thailand is screwed in the short and mid term."

For who really can ever truly know the future, but I would suggest it wont be for lack of evidence to support such a view.

So your only point actually is to say some people might say I am ill informed... etc etc. Well then it would up to them to out exactly where I am misinformed or lacking in relevant information.

Correct me if I am wrong but I understand that the current Government of Thailand was elected? No?

The PAD which actually goes by the name of Peoples Alliance for Democracy are in violation of laws and court orders, and have declared that they will comply until the government resigns. All because some of its leaders have decided that this should be so?

Well that makes it clear to me and so many others whom have discussed this with as meaning that really the PAD is a misnomer and that indeed the PAD really stands for People Against Democracy.

Some people think the world is flat and yes by all means they are entitled to hold such a view and even express it! However I find that a more clinical and factual based approach in which we consider as much evidence as we can get to form a view is actually the best way to get as close to an ultimate truth as we ever can.

I may well turn out to be wrong when I say :

"If the reports are true about foreigners being beat up at the airport just trying to make it to the flight and other such things are confirmed then Thailand is screwed in the short and mid term."

For who really can ever truly know the future, but I would suggest it wont be for lack of evidence to support such a view.

No - from my earlier "ïntruiging" post you were quick to assume that another members thoughts or contributions were irrelevent. I would actually rather hear all perspectives. I certainly do not agree with the actions of the protestors, I thought I had made that pretty clear. I would however, in the interest of debate now that I am stuck here in the office, be interested in hearing bCool's perspective on the whole sitaution considering her nationalistic stance.

Well I gave an opinion and I gave the logic based around facts. Did I not? If I have got my information wrong or stated anything that was factual untrue then I am open to correction.

What your saying however is [and you can correct me if I am wrong] you would like to hear other opinions and in particular from Bcool

Well sure it would be great if we had lots of "opinions" but it is what they are based which is more relevant?

Someone had made the comment that sometimes bcool was too rabidly nationalistic for them to want to hear what she might have to say and I concur with that based on what I have seen her write. Which is why I say it would be interesting to hear such views if ill informed and emotional views that are devoid of a coherent and transparent logic is interesting.

Now if she had some new and more informed and sophisticated views to offer then sure i would then be interested. Thus far I have not seen a single good set of views offered [from a PAD supporter] which would somehow enlighten me or cause me to re-think my own views based on an extensive amount of research from multiple sources and perspectives.

And BTW in relative terms to genuine "experts" on the subject of Thai politics I would consider myself to have a very modest grasp of all the issues and factors at play here. However being outside of a situation can also provide a great chance for a good overview which people down at say ground level may not always be able to have.

More opinions yes! Or perhaps no? Depending on the real weight of knowledge brought with them. In any event it is Thais who will sort out and live with the consequences of whatever happens so ultimately it is there "opinions" which will be the ones that matter.

Which in turn is a reason why Thais on TF should not be bothered at all by comments from farangs too much. We are only spectators.

I thought the PAD had gone too far in the last few days but it seems they may achieve their initial objective.

If Samak goes and we have another election will the PAD be satisfied?

If the same old faces appear under a new name will the PAD accept the result?

Have those with power and influence who support the PAD worked out what comes next?

I certainly wasn?t impressed with the selection of Samak and would be happy to see him go but what precedent does it set for future elections?

However imperfect, an election is an election, and in a democracy you have to accept the decision that a one-man one-vote system produces.

Don?t like the next one? Let?s do the same again. It worked last time.

How do we achieve an election that everyone accepts the results of?

Meanwhile the world moves on.

Fewer tourists will arrive.

Business and investment confidence will decline.

In the time that I have lived here, Thailand has been regarded as a reasonably stable country compared to its neighbours and was therefore more attractive to overseas investors.

But the times they are a changing.

What could be worse?

Just watching a crowd fervently cheering on John McCain for President! :roll:

Well I wont give my opinions any more and I agree it is good to get as many views as possible.

I just contend that it is better when they are informed. So here is a very insightful piece by Wassana Nanuam

Likewise, a European diplomat observed that Thai society should be patient and let the judicial review take its course.

"The law is being implemented. Why does the PAD need to catalyse more confrontation? It is unfathomable that the PAD claims Thailand is not ready for democracy. Any change in the regime should be done through democratic means, shouldn't it?"

The diplomat dubbed the current political situation as "a civil coup", following the failure of the military coup two years ago.

"It is not healthy that the core values of PAD supporters boil down to only hatred of one person, Thaksin Shinawatra. It is irritating and a pity that a democratically-elected government is toppled by people on the streets who claim they represent the majority, which seems not to be the case," a diplomatic source commented.