beware the butt scam

PeeMarc

Yea it happened to me also but I was actually smoking and threw it on the ground.

They asked for 2k I got away with 1 but 15k, wow ...thats just beyond anything.

This is really bad for thailand, a friend of mine had to pay 20k to get out of jail after he got punched in the face in a bar and called the police. He will never be back and so wont propably his friends.

On the bright side, I live in bangyai/ nonthaburi. A bit outside bkk and have an internetshop.

We had visit from the police 1 time in 1 month, we open 24hours and they never harass us or demand money. I never get stopped by them when im driving my motorbike. They never demand my passport or anything.

1 night this week I was painting graffiti on an old wall , I did a few on there before and theres always motorbikes and some cars crossing and nobody cares. So anyway this time it took along time because the paint i had was low quality and so it happened that the police cought up with me 2 times that night but were very nice.

They didnt even asked for my passport, the first time they just passed by on their mb and asked of if there was a problem to which I replied " no problem " and that was it. Later they came by again and stopped this time. One of them seemed to know me from my shop, they made some fun about me and then just told me to go home.

this scam has been going on for a few years - at least as far back as 2006 in some areas. the first place I saw it was in front of Benjakitti park next to Emporium. The police have a little round sala type police box where they sit and watch people strolling along in front of the part along Sukumvit road. once people throw the cigarette but on the ground they go into action. I have personally seen 2 events with foreigners. the hyperbole was that this was THE QUEENS park and therefore the event was particularly shocking.

what can we expect from police who receive little training, dirt pay - they have to pay for their own guns and stuff, and a culture which supports this kind of system. perhaps the Bangkok Governor would champion this cause?

:shock: 1000 THB.. that money = 1-2 meals at MK, Fuji, Sizzler, BBQ plaza, Taling Pling, Scoozi, Hachiban Ramen, Daidomon, Black Canyon, S & P, 13 Coins, Yum Saap, Oishi, Zen...... P'Marc!!!! :(

Know what you mean... pay to get away... hopefully, this history wont repeat itself.

It happens quite often...this is probably the 6th or 7th time I've heard of this scam happening in Bangkok.

:cry:

maybe it is time to quit smoking..

I have heard stories about the Thai police but have never had any problems myself any of the times i have stayed in Thailand. Only time i have ever even spoken to one of the boys in brown was when i played him at pool.

Now the Guardia Civil in Spain... The most corrupt, uneducated police force i have ever experienced.