Tourist Visa/Onward Air Ticket

MisterMatlock

Question

I'm sure this topic has been done in the forums somewhere, but I can't find it. If I fly to Singapore or take a train to Laos and get a 60 day tourist visa, will I be asked for an onward airticket before I'm granted entry into Thailand? It's been a long time since I've dealt with this kind of thing. Thanks.

I came 21 times on holiday to Thailand and they never ask the return ticket.

But in the rules it is written that you need one...

There are all sorts of "prerequisites" that I'm reading. Just curious what the probability is of being asked for all of these things. I've decided I'd better just get my education visa rather than getting a tourist visa then converting it to a Non-Imm 'ED' in BKK. Wonder which embassy would be better for "less hassles". I've read that Singapore is a real ***** about stuff like this...

FYI

The Royal Thai Government has decided to waive visa fees for all tourist visa applications.

The visa fee will be exempted for all foreigners who apply for a tourist visa at all Royal Thai Embassies, Royal Thai Consulates worldwide as well as designated visa on arrival checkpoints (for all eligible foreign tourists) in Thailand for three months, for the period from 5th March to 4th June 2009.

Please be notified that the "tourist visa waiver scheme" is applied for all nationalities and this visa fee exemption is only applicable for tourist visa, all other visa categories remain subjected to visa fee charges accordingly.

you may be asked for an onward air ticket, as all other rules are in place (including the 1900 baht fee for a 30 day extension of the tourist visa). the only difference from business as usual is that tourist visas are free for a limited time.

note that if you have a visa with a valid entry you do not have to have an onward air ticket.

if you're in 'spore you can always take dare asia to penang and then take the train back. it's slow but kinda fun.

My situation

Im in thailand on a study visa

it expires next month

i cannot extend it cause im no longer studying

can i just do a border thing again and get the stamp?

do that 3 times, and then extention thing and reset again or what?

seriously curious

anyone doing a border trip soon?

Ugh...I hate those border runs. I did them for the first three months I was here (now have a non-immigrant B visa). Poiphet, Cambodia is depressing.

I think if you cross by land you only get two weeks now...cross by air and you get a full month.

I'm sure this topic has been done in the forums somewhere, but I can't find it. If I fly to Singapore or take a train to Laos and get a 60 day tourist visa, will I be asked for an onward airticket before I'm granted entry into Thailand? It's been a long time since I've dealt with this kind of thing. Thanks.

Just print one out, etickets are easy to rustle up ;)

My situation

it expires next month

seriously curious

Ugh...I hate those border runs. I did them for the first three months I was here (now have a non-immigrant B visa). Poiphet, Cambodia is depressing.

I think if you cross by land you only get two weeks now...cross by air and you get a full month.

I did one a few weeks back for the first time in years.

Got up at 6 AM got in a Taxi, munched a Valium, and woke up in Poipet, strolled in, strolled out and hopped back in the taxi munched another valium and woke up back in Bangkok at 1pm, not a bad visa run all in all...... but I won't be doing one again in a hurry.

My situation

it expires next month

seriously curious

WAIT what? what do u mean 2 weeks?

yea i did the day trip to cambodia 3 times and AFTER the 3rd

i got a NON IMM education visa for 1 year. that expires this april.

Could i still go to the border and get the stamp? or do i need to apply for a tourist visa?

and since when do they only give 2 weeks?

yea ive done that 3 times to cambo then immigration thing the first 6 months i was here a couple times

one time i seen the gaurds on the thai side shootin the kids with a sling shot. i blogged about it on my myspace last year i was so pissed off, i wanted to scream at the ******* gaurds for tha ****. i ended up giving that same kid my hat and sunglasses the next time i went, not cash.

My situation

it expires next month

seriously curious

Could i still go to the border and get the stamp? or do i need to apply for a tourist visa?

yea ive done that 3 times to cambo then immigration thing the first 6 months i was here a couple times

one time i seen the gaurds on the thai side shootin the kids with a sling shot. i blogged about it on my myspace last year i was so pissed off, i wanted to scream at the f*cking gaurds for tha sh*t. i ended up giving that same kid my hat and sunglasses the next time i went, not cash.

The two weeks thing started at the beginning of this year. Someone started a thread on it here, but I can't be bothered to look for it...but ya, it's real.

I feel really bad for those border children, but never give them anything because:

1.) It's run by the mafia

2.) Help one and you have to help them all

you can but it's definitely only 2 weeks. if you fly in you get a month. border runs for a 15 day stamp are a waste of time IMO.

best bet is to go to Vientiane for a tourist visa. they're free right now as an added bonus. normally they are 1,000 baht per entry; as i understand it they are giving out double entry visas free. each entry is good for 60 days, then you can extend it at suan phlu for 1,900 baht each time for a total of 180 days. note that 'entry' does in fact you have to leave and come back after your first 90 days but then is the time to do the border hop to cambo.

best way to do it:

take the train from hua lampong to nong khai. this should cost around 700 baht each way if you need aircon. if your'e a tightwad or if the train is mostly full the soft seats aren't bad for 300.

a shared tuk tuk to the border will set you back 40 (negotiable)

and a visa on arrival is usually about $35, but you can save some time if you get your Lao visa here in bangers. waiting at the border is annoying.

a taxi from the Lao immigration to downtown vientiane is about 200, and generally you can meet some people while going through immigration and share a cab. tuk tuks are generally slower, overpriced and really uncomfortable if your'e tall.

upon arriving in vientiane there are plenty of reasonably priced hotels.

some good maps of vientiane.

i never book a hotel in advance and just walk around. there are decent, cheap hotels within a block or so of that dam. if you're feeling cheap there are plenty of acceptable guest houses in the 200 baht range especially on and around Settitharath road near Francis Ngin road and the river (there are also cheap guest houses and hotels along the river in the same area, and on francis Ngin and the other connecting streets). unless your'e staying at novotel or something, look at the room before you agree to stay there. some are dismal, some are quite nice, and price doesn't really guarantee quality.

google the thai consulate in vientiane for the visa form and take a couple of passport sized photos with you (you need them to get into lao and also to get yoru thai visa).

you can get your visa the same day you arrive, but if you want to chill a bit, float in the river etc, take a bus to vang vieng.

you will drop your visa off in the AM (by 12), pay, and pick it up the next day after 1. it's all dirt simple and cheap. much more comfy than border hopping for your stamp collection.

you can but it's definitely only 2 weeks. if you fly in you get a month. border runs for a 15 day stamp are a waste of time IMO.

best bet is to go to Vientiane for a tourist visa. they're free right now as an added bonus. normally they are 1,000 baht per entry; as i understand it they are giving out double entry visas free. each entry is good for 60 days, then you can extend it at suan phlu for 1,900 baht each time for a total of 180 days. note that 'entry' does in fact you have to leave and come back after your first 90 days but then is the time to do the border hop to cambo.

best way to do it:

take the train from hua lampong to nong khai. this should cost around 700 baht each way if you need aircon. if your'e a tightwad or if the train is mostly full the soft seats aren't bad for 300.

a shared tuk tuk to the border will set you back 40 (negotiable)

and a visa on arrival is usually about $35, but you can save some time if you get your Lao visa here in bangers. waiting at the border is annoying.

a taxi from the Lao immigration to downtown vientiane is about 200, and generally you can meet some people while going through immigration and share a cab. tuk tuks are generally slower, overpriced and really uncomfortable if your'e tall.

upon arriving in vientiane there are plenty of reasonably priced hotels.

some good maps of vientiane.

i never book a hotel in advance and just walk around. there are decent, cheap hotels within a block or so of that dam. if you're feeling cheap there are plenty of acceptable guest houses in the 200 baht range especially on and around Settitharath road near Francis Ngin road and the river (there are also cheap guest houses and hotels along the river in the same area, and on francis Ngin and the other connecting streets). unless your'e staying at novotel or something, look at the room before you agree to stay there. some are dismal, some are quite nice, and price doesn't really guarantee quality.

google the thai consulate in vientiane for the visa form and take a couple of passport sized photos with you (you need them to get into lao and also to get yoru thai visa).

you can get your visa the same day you arrive, but if you want to chill a bit, float in the river etc, take a bus to vang vieng.

you will drop your visa off in the AM (by 12), pay, and pick it up the next day after 1. it's all dirt simple and cheap. much more comfy than border hopping for your stamp collection.

im loving this guy

i bow to ur fukin awesomeness

thanks for the info i knew most of it thru trail and error but thanks a milli

now.... can ya help me find a job in thailand OTHER then teachin?

and no i dont wanna sell my anal virginity :shock: :x :eh: :sweatdrop: :scream:

im loving this guy

or if u have a bit extra cash u can fly dare asia and one2go (i think) to udon thani and then do bus or mini bus to friendship bridge and then carry on as zeus recommends. i'd also suggest spending 2 or 3 days in vientianne. not the most exciting place in the world, but if u r going there for the visa u might as well take the oppotunity to kick back for a few days and chill out there !! makes a nice break from the madness that is bkk !!

and beer lao is cheap as chips there !!

im loving this guy

or if u have a bit extra cash u can fly dare asia and one2go (i think) to udon thani and then do bus or mini bus to friendship bridge and then carry on as zeus recommends. i'd also suggest spending 2 or 3 days in vientianne. not the most exciting place in the world, but if u r going there for the visa u might as well take the oppotunity to kick back for a few days and chill out there !! makes a nice break from the madness that is bkk !!

and beer lao is cheap as chips there !!

Yea

Everytime i ever been there.... i stayed for 2 days. Went to embassy in morning, dropped off passport, went and found a place to stay, eat, nap and then go out and shop and drink BEERLAO.

BEERLAO is one of my favorite beers to date. Cheap and taste great and does the job. Better then american beer. In thailand Leo is ok if u wanna piss all night, Tiger is so so, Singha is good. Chang taste like elephant piss.

Im still more of a whisky fan.

I think Veintien looks different then the first time i went. Its more built up now and growing. I seen there building a ******* condo across from the embassy. Right across the street. Good business tho.

My first two times, the whole city was quiet and i didnt see another foreigner outside the embassy area. Now thats all changed.

it doesn't take 2 or 3 days to see vientiane unless you're falling down drunk, on a DVD shopping binge, or both.

better option is vang vieng if you want to chill.

how far is vang vieng from vientiane ? by the time i've got there i've had enough travelling !!

i just like to chill out .... sit by the Mekong with a few bottles (big) of beer Lao with a salted fish or grilled chicken and watch the sun go down !!!

then go out at night get pissed and shag a hooker ... which i now discover r all ladyboys !!!

it doesn't take 2 or 3 days to see vientiane unless you're falling down drunk, on a DVD shopping binge, or both.

But it can take a while for some to realise that most of the hookers are ladyboys.

regardless of how blind drink one is, it shouldn't take 3 days to figure out the hookers are all skanky and scary. going from Bangkok to Vientiane to look for whores is like going from the seaside to the desert to look for fresh seafood.

Maybe it's my alcohol-tinted glasses but I f*cking loved Laos.. :D:D:D :thumbleft:

i hear you totally

Laos is awesome if you explore around a bit and kinda make urself LOST and find your way back to your room for the night.

The food was so good and cheap. Everyone was nice. Good open scenery for pictures too.

I had a great time everytime. Ill upload all my pics from Laos and Nong Kai(thailand) Area from last year sometime.

Maybe it's my alcohol-tinted glasses but I f*cking loved Laos.. :D:D:D :thumbleft:

i hear you totally

Laos is awesome thought if you explore around a bit and kinda make urself LOST and find your way back to your room for the night.

The food was so good and cheap. Everyone was nice. Good open scenery for pictures too.

I had a great time everytime. Ill upload all my pics from Laos and Nong Kai(thailand) Area from last year sometime.

I went a coulple of years ago for a * B* visa run and had a great time in all...

http://www.thailandfriends.com/index.php?name=Journal&view=journal&jid=50069&juid=34486

i hear you totally

Laos is awesome if you explore around a bit and kinda make urself LOST and find your way back to your room for the night..

:shock: how can you get lost in Vientiane? it's tiny! that's like getting lost in Siam Paragon.

better option is vang vieng if you want to chill.

how far is vang vieng from vientiane ? by the time i've got there i've had enough travelling !!

about 3 hours... in theory. time and space do not apply in Lao, at least when driving.