is gig just an excuse to slut around?

drlovelife8

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought long and hard about this.. and concluded it is just slutting it if the relationships become physical.

Maybe i am old fashioned but it appears that way

you thoughts please

As far as I can make out, there are two kinds of gigs.

1: The 'special friend' kind. No sex, just close friends who meet often, go to the movies, share some secrets, and whilst their special friendship is not out in the open, technically, they are not doing anything wrong.

2: The 'more than special friend' kind of Gigs. They DO have sex. Normally this involves the Guygiving the girl money and gifts etc. To me, this basically means that the Guy is cheating on his wife / regular girlfriend which is not great, and as for the girl, well, Nana Girls sleep with Guys for money, also.

i thought long and hard about this.. and concluded it is just slutting it if the relationships become physical.

you thoughts please

1: The 'special friend' kind. No sex, just close friends who meet often, go to the movies, share some secrets, and whilst their special friendship is not out in the open, technically, they are not doing anything wrong.

2: The 'more than special friend' kind of Gigs. They DO have sex. Normally this involves the Guygiving the girl money and gifts etc. To me, this basically means that the Guy is cheating on his wife / regular girlfriend which is not great, and as for the girl, well, Nana Girls sleep with Guys for money, also.

Ah!! I thought he meant gigs as in concerts or club nights; that's why I was confused!!!

First of all, I really dont know why everyone keeps writing it as GIG when the correct pronunciation is GIK. I know there are phonetic rules for writing certain sounds, but as we are NOT writing it in phonetics, why not just use a K for a "K" sound?

As for the two types that Stu mentioned, I have asked my other half about all this and my understanding is that a gik can mean someone with whom the relationship is platonic, and some where it is very much not.

As a male or a female can have a gik, then I dont completely agree that the man givs the girl money/food/flowers etc in return for sex - it is a sexual friendship/relationship, so it is really very similar to having a second boyfriend or girlfriend where the relationship "rules" make it quite clear that the reason for its existence is basically as an alternative when all you want is someone to talk to or someone to go out with and maybe have sex with...but it's not for money under those circumstances, and its not meant as a replacement for the real boyfriend or girlfriend.

The other kind of "second girlfriend" relationship is a mia noi, where the guy does always pay for the sex - be it by buying the girl a car, an apartment or whatever - but not usually just by giving here a set "fee" for sex - that is simply the same as a bar girl - which I would not consider to be a "relationship" at all - just a rental of facilities....

Just my thoughts - it is a bit of a confusing subject, and one that most guys I have met (especially farang) are uncomfortable with.

Why is enjoying sex such a bad thing?

With one partner or multiple partners?

Just be safe with it and enjoy. No need for all of this judeo-christian-ish guilt and self-flagellation.

Why is it slutting around? Why can't it just be people enjoying themselves and each other? Free love, BABY!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

so you'd be ok if your gf has gigs ?

Gik in Thai is more then a friend. But it does not mean that they have sex. But in later years a Gik or Gig have become sex with friend. **** buddy.

JayaVII i see you have a Buddha image and then you should know that desire is one of the main thing that make people do things. So if you have desire to another person that is not your gf then well you not trying to be a good Buddhist.

But on the other hand the moral compass in Thailand is set by so many countries. Western Christian one wife and Chinese old style many wife's.

But if your moral compass is not hurting anyone and you not feel bad after the "act" then go for it. But if you feel like a cheap slut then stop.

you thoughts please

well said ... all clear and correct :D

It's a just a term for those to use when they want to hang out with a person who is not described as official girlfriend or boyfriend without feeling guilty about it. Totally agree that it can be with or without sex involved. Coming from an old fashion person, I absolutely have no respect to those people using this term. You're happy to be someone's gig...Bad. You treat someone like she or he is your gig...Worse! If you feel that you just want to hang out with a person for a movie, a dinner, a chat, whatsoever, I think it's time for you to quite your relationship because what you're doing is the sign of you giving up on it. It would be more respectful if you leave it with pride than sticking to it with no shame. If none of those chicks or guys you're dating is called girlfriend or boyfriend but gig, I would define you as a loser!

Why is enjoying sex such a bad thing?

With one partner or multiple partners?

Just be safe with it and enjoy. No need for all of this judeo-christian-ish guilt and self-flagellation.

Why is it slutting around? Why can't it just be people enjoying themselves and each other? Free love, BABY!

It can be anything you like. Just be fair that your partners have full knowledge of your intentions...

what he said.

So... a gig/gik can be someone you go to the movies with?

Have coffee with?

And no sex

Oh right... I remember we used to call those 'friends'.

If you aren't having sex with them, why the need for a separate word? I'd like to know what percentage of gigs are purely platonic.

The gig culture is getting out of hand (IMO). Teenage girls are openly bragging about having multiple gigs. That leads to more STD's and unwanted (and unsupported) babies.

Thailand is a tough enough place to be female... it's foolish to think that sleeping around can do anything to improve their lives.

If you have a boy/girlfriend, you shouldn't have a gig. Giving it a cute name doesn't make it any different to sleeping around.

Having gigs/giks simply is an excuse for a guy saying to someone that i do not want to spend a lot of time with you, i do not want to be seen in public with you, i do not want my friends to know you, i can not have a future with you or i can not spend the rest of my life with you..... but i want to stick my penis in you, though we could go out if you really want to (if we have to), as long as you do not call me too often so my girlfriend does not get suspicious.