"/sh/" vs "/ch/" - - -> pronouncia

unigue_me

Would any of you have any great clear example or good exercises for non-native speakers to be able to pronouce these two sounds correctly? Sometimes we have both words to begin and end with them so plz help.

Many Thanks :wink:

:D

Hi there,

If you pronounce /sh/ as you pronounce /¬/ and /ch/ as you pronounce /ª/ it should be OK. For example:

show /â¬/

choke /⪤/

Good luck, Don :)

There are always exceptions in English and these words are spelled with a CH to begin with but are prononounced like SH as in Short (as shown in these examples). Should be noted that most are French or of other origin and have been appropriated

Champagne

Chakra

chamfer

chanterelle (mushroom)

charade

Other examples are also spelled with a CH but pronounced like a K as in:

Charisma

Character

Chi (Greek, but in English is used in Math)

Unigue me wrote:

"ThaNks hehehe 1 Heineken? I think Bobby can handle that! :twisted: LOL"

hahaha....well, if I ever run into Japhy, he'll be dealing with alot more than one :D

Unigue me wrote:

" :roll: hehehe only yr coffee only Valid untiL May 1st 2005 though :twisted: hehe"

Oh yeah Miss smartypants? Well ok...coffee on me then, cause the company is worth it :D

• 2 weeks later...
Would any of you have any great clear example or good exercises for non-native speakers to be able to pronouce these two sounds correctly? Sometimes we have both words to begin and end with them so plz help.

Many Thanks :wink:

:D

Interesting question and as a teacher I've had some experience with this.

Yes, there is no "sh" sound in Thai and so naturally Thais substitute the "ch" sound as being the closest sound available in Thai. It's cute to hear Thais swear by saying "Chit!" instead of "****!" hahahaha

Okay, picture in your mind someone putting their index finger to their lips meaning, "Quiet! Be slient". The sound that's associated with that hand gesture is "Shhhhhhhh" and can't be done easily with the "ch" or chor chang consonant in Thai!

Here's another exercise you can try. Pronounce the difference between these two words:

CHAIR

Can you? If not, you need to find a friend who's a native English speaker and look at their mouth and lips when they make these two different sounds. The "sh" sound has to be taught, and you're asking your mouth to do something it's never done before and so I understand why it's not easy. But it's not difficult either.

Does this help?