Can anyone teach me more Thai?

yamahacrasher

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you want to learn Thai for general purposes or to meet girls?

Because if you try to use it to meet girls, it's nowhere near as attractive as the simple lack of communication. And knowing Thai will make you less attractive to girls that are looking for a real boyfriend, because it will make you look like you have a bit too much experience. (Just a tip). :)

Because if you try to use it to meet girls, it's nowhere near as attractive as the simple lack of communication. And knowing Thai will make you less attractive to girls that are looking for a real boyfriend, because it will make you look like you have a bit too much experience. (Just a tip). :)

What if he wants to learn it to meet Generals or for girly purposes?

Is there a specific Thai language course which deals with military jargon or historical tactics??

If not, is this a gap in the language market??

(hope you didn't spill sauce on your blue shirt Mike - Sassy will blame me!) :)

Hi,

Now i want to learn more Thai. Need a teacher who can teach me by the hour, preferably at my condo by the pool.

I have some basic knowledge, was is school a while a few years ago.

It would be nice if this person has some teaching materials, maybe some papers with Thai written in phonetic.

Brgs, Tom

If you want to make real progress, you have to memorize the sounds of the Thai characters first and trash the idea of Thai written in phonetic English... because it does not exist. That is if you want to be literate..

If you want to just learn how to speak better, then start mimicking all the Thai people around you and the way they speak.

By the way, clemenf said "Don't forget the bikini."

Is there a specific Thai language course which deals with military jargon or historical tactics??

I was unable to attend the BBQ, but I did wear blue, well for part of the day.

A military phrase in Thai: Krub POM! = yes sir!

Scratch my balls. Gau - Kai

I was unable to attend the BBQ, but I did wear blue, well for part of the day.

A military phrase in Thai: Krub POM! = yes sir!

Scratch my balls. Gau - Kai

should thise phrases not have been reversed??

General - Gau - Kai

Private - Krub POM!!!

:lol:

Just general purpose, plan to live here forever, so better learn to speak it better. Reading and writing seems too hard, so i'm happy with just speaking and understanding.

Just general purpose, plan to live here forever, so better learn to speak it better. Reading and writing seems too hard, so i'm happy with just speaking and understanding.

Mate, you've been living here for a while what makes you want to start now ? :lol:

Right Read and write thai is not that easy (for a foreigner) but it's the best way to finally memorize and understand sounds, tones and vowels lenght...

I have learned to read and write by myself, following lessons that you can easely find on the net... it takes some times if you work and are not in Thailand, but it's not too difficult.

Now I need more grammar knowledge, train my reading and writing skills (I am way too slow) a learn more words and probably at this point I should find someone who teach me.

But as I have no time and I am stucked here for the moment I pass... but thai is a nice language to learn and if you like the country and you plan to stay there it's really usefull to learn it.

Good luck

PS: I get those 3 adress on a site that I used to learn thai.

They are thai teachers offering lessons, so you can try to contact them

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

If you honestly want to learn Thai, just watch local Thai TV, regardless of what it is, and pay attention to the speech, even if you don't understand anything. Then you will be learning exactly as a baby would and you will learn it with the proper accent. After a while you will able to pick out many parts and start to get the feeling of it.

Example:

mai flat pitch

mai deep pitch

mai high pitch

mai ascending pitch

mai descending pitch

äÃé ãËÃè äÃè äËÃé äËÃ

mai - mai - mai - mai - mai

high - low - falling - rising - high

http://www.learningthai.com/tones/index.html

funny: ¢ÕèÃéÒ kee maa ride horse

¢ÕéÃéÒ kee maa horse excretement

If you honestly want to learn Thai, just watch local Thai TV, regardless of what it is, and pay attention to the speach, even if you don't understand anything. Then you will be learning exactly as a baby would and you will learn it with the proper accent. After a while you will able to pick out many parts and start to get the feeling of it.

Example:

mai flat pitch

mai deep pitch

mai high pitch

mai ascending pitch

mai descending pitch

äÃé ãËÃè äÃè äËÃé äËÃ

http://www.learningthai.com/tones/index.html

Yes folks; Dr Mike, Thailand's answer to Maria from Sound of Music... :lol:

Ummm Iain, You quoted before I could edit the spelling. :(

The hills are alive with the sound of Iain....

He climbs a tree and scrapes his knee

His blue shirt has got a tear

He waltzes on his way to TF events

And whistles on the stair

And underneath his blue shirt

He has clamps on his nipples

I even heard him singing in the pub

He's always late for eventsl

But his penitence is real

He's always late for everything

Except for every meal

I hate to have to say it

But I very firmly feel

Mike's definitely an asset to TF

I'd like to say a word in his behalf

Dr Mike makes me laugh

How do you solve a problem like Dr Mike?

How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?

How do you find a word that means Dr Mike?

A flibbertijibbet! A will-o'-the wisp! A clown!

Many a thing you know you'd like to tell him

Many a thing he ought to understand

But how do you make him stay

And listen to all you say

How do you keep a wave upon the sand

Oh, how do you solve a problem like Dr Mike?

How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?

When I'm with him I'm confused

Out of focus and bemused

And I never know exactly where I am

Unpredictable as weather

He's as flighty as a feather

He's a nutter! He's a demon! He's a lamb!

He'd outpester any pest

Drive a hornet from its nest

He could throw a whirling dervish out of whirl

He is gentle! He is wild!

He's a riddle! He's a child!

He's a headache! He's an angel!

He's a doc!!

How do you solve a problem like Dr Mike??

How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?

How do you find a word that means Dr Mike??

A flibbertijibbet! A will-o'-the wisp! A clown!

Many a thing you know you'd like to tell him

Many a thing he ought to understand

But how do you make him stay

And listen to all you say

How do you keep a wave upon the sand

Oh, how do you solve a problem like Dr Mike??

How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand

:lol:

äÃé ãËÃè äÃè äËÃé äËÃ

Sorry, just to report the right tones they should be

äÃé ãËÃè äÃè äËÃé äËÃ

high - low - falling - falling - rising

on the site Mike quoted they have the following

high - low - falling - falling - high

which is not really correct because the "question word" äËà have a rising tone (following the tone rules) but colloquially and in everyday speech it is pronounced with an high tone and it should be written ÃÑé (mai > high tone)

äÃé ãËÃè äÃè äËÃé äËÃ

Sorry, just to report the right tones they should be

äÃé ãËÃè äÃè äËÃé äËÃ

high - low - falling - falling - rising

on the site Mike quoted they have the following

high - low - falling - falling - high

which is not really correct because the "question word" äËà have a rising tone (following the tone rules) but colloquially and in everyday speech it is pronounced with an high tone and it should be written ÃÑé (mai > high tone)

My quote is directly from the site: not slanged. :P

You should not use ÃÑé high tone as it is informal.

ÃÑé & äËÃ

Both words mean the same, they are äËÃ.

But ÃÑé is "Spoken Language"

and äËà is "Written Language".

There are many Words that sound different in speech than

they are written; it's like slang words.

They are much used by Teenagers in SMS, when Chatting etc.

But to make sure that you are not misunderstood by Thais, as a

Farang try to speak the words using the right Tones.

There's some truth to what Mike says, but in my experience the reverse is more often true. For example, most of the girls I've met that didn't like me understanding Thai had something to hide and don't like their buffalo understanding what's going on. The girls I've met who are serious about a real relationship are usually very happy I speak Thai because they understand the value of communication. And let's get one thing clear.. to have a meaningful relationship with a Thai you have to speak Thai.

There's some truth to what Mike says, but in my experience the reverse is more often true. For example, most of the girls I've met that didn't like me understanding Thai had something to hide and don't like their buffalo understanding what's going on. The girls I've met who are serious about a real relationship are usually very happy I speak Thai because they understand the value of communication. And let's get one thing clear.. to have a meaningful relationship with a Thai you have to speak Thai.

You've gotta to be able to understand Thai but not necessarily 100% fluent, in order to get by and dealing with different life situation problems with people who do not speak good English, so you don't get rip off, or know at least the basic vocab, for example, meeting the parents of the girlfriend, different generation, they speak zero English, how would you communicate with them (if one see the significant of making good relationship with the partner's family). However, in the term of speaking Thai to meet girls.... not wanting westerners to understand whats going on and has something to hide is one thing. Most of the time the opposite attracts, things you don't know, things she does not know, drawn people together, like peeling an onion, layer after layer.... If one knows everything, what else is there left to find out...... I believe communication is essential in building any relationship, but you do not have to speak 100% Thai just to meet any girl.. Language is only a medium to get the message through. You have to learn Thai if your partner is linguistic incompetence or she has to learn your language if you can't learn. It's cute, once you speak Thai, you learn about the culture, but It has pros and cons. Speak fluent Thai meaning you are well experienced a.k.a. ⪡⪹ = been through a lot and possibly with a lot of Thai women, that's not a good thing. Speaking Thai, knowing Thai then You become somewhat a sold out. If one is looking for someone who speak fluent Thai and mentality of a Thai man, She might as well just get a Thai boyfriend. Meet educated women who speak good English and is willing to learn of western culture, the problem solves.

You've gotta to be able to understand Thai but not necessarily 100% fluent, in order to get by and dealing with different life situation problems with people who do not speak good English, so you don't get rip off, or know at least the basic vocab, for example, meeting the parents of the girlfriend, different generation, they speak zero English, how would you communicate with them (if one see the significant of making good relationship with the partner's family). However, in the term of speaking Thai to meet girls.... not wanting westerners to understand whats going on and has something to hide is one thing. Most of the time the opposite attracts, things you don't know, things she does not know, drawn people together, like peeling an onion, layer after layer.... If one knows everything, what else is there left to find out...... I believe communication is essential in building any relationship, but you do not have to speak 100% Thai just to meet any girl.. Language is only a medium to get the message through. You have to learn Thai if your partner is linguistic incompetence or she has to learn your language if you can't learn. It's cute, once you speak Thai, you learn about the culture, but It has pros and cons. Speak fluent Thai meaning you are well experienced a.k.a. ⪡⪹ = been through a lot and possibly with a lot of Thai women, that's not a good thing. Speaking Thai, knowing Thai then You become somewhat a sold out. If one is looking for someone who speak fluent Thai and mentality of a Thai man, She might as well just get a Thai boyfriend. Meet educated women who speak good English and is willing to learn of western culture, the problem solves.

Good points. I agree it can be scary for girls to meet a guy who speaks fluent Thai. I was talking about understanding enough to be able to learn about Thai culture and Thai thinking. So much of that doesn't translate well into English, and understanding some Thai really helps to understand a Thai girl.

Good points. I agree it can be scary for girls to meet a guy who speaks fluent Thai. I was talking about understanding enough to be able to learn about Thai culture and Thai thinking. So much of that doesn't translate well into English, and understanding some Thai really helps to understand a Thai girl.

Totally agree. There will be problems due to the difference in cultures no matter what. It's really best if both people are able to communicate in both languages as much as possible. If one person is constantly having to communicate in a second language, I find it tends to wear them down.

Mate, you've been living here for a while what makes you want to start now ? :lol:

Mate, i'm not starting now, if you care to read my first post i said i want to learn more. I know a bit Thai already, know about the tones yes yes, i WAS in school already as i said... 9 years in Thailand already, i believe i am fairly ok with the language, i just want to learn more

As for learning from watching Thai news, find it a bit hard when you just don't know what the words mean. Thai TV with English subtitles is worth gold though, i tend to pick up a lot when listening and reading at the same time.