Atheists have their say

Treborz

Personally I think its a great idea.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/God-Advertisements-Atheists-Get-Their-Own-Back/Article/200901115198322?lpos=UK_News_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_5&lid=ARTICLE_15198322_God_Advertisements%3A_Atheists_Get_Their_Own_Back

A GBP140,000 atheist advertising campaign has been launched on British buses and on the London Underground.

15198366.jpg

Buses gearing up for battle positions

The buses and Tubes will carry the slogan: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

A total of 200 bendy buses in London and 600 buses across England, Scotland and Wales will carry the slogan this week following a fundraising drive which raised more than £140,000.

The money raised will also pay for 1,000 advertisements on London Underground from Monday.

The God many atheists have rejected is not the God we recognise and this campaign has opened up a dialogue between Christians and atheists which allows these types of misconceptions to be challenged.

Rev Jenny Ellis - Methodist Church minister

The fundraising drive was prompted by a suggestion from comedy writer Ariane Sherine, who received support from the British Humanist Association (BHA) and atheist campaigner Richard Dawkins.

Ms Sherine had objected to a set of Christian advertisements running on London buses in a piece written for The Guardian's Comment Is Free online blog in June.

Speaking at the launch of the campaign in central London, Ms Sherine said the sheer number of donations received had demonstrated the strength of feeling in Britain.

"This is a great day for freedom of speech in Britain and I'm really excited and thrilled that the adverts have been approved and I hope that they will make people smile on their way to work," she said.

"I am very glad that we live in a country where people have the freedom to believe in whatever they want."

The Methodist Church welcomed the campaign.

The Rev Jenny Ellis, spirituality and discipleship officer, said: "We welcome the atheist bus campaign as an opportunity to talk about the deepest questions of life.

"The God many atheists have rejected is not the God we recognise and this campaign has opened up a dialogue between Christians and atheists which allows these types of misconceptions to be challenged."

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Obviously the devil is unaware of irony

....and it has led to his being exposed on a dating website...

...Don't have a chance in hell?

...That's why we're all on Thailand Friends?

:):)

ttt-2.jpg

...79.....vote for me.........(on saturday....but bear it in mind now and you will remember)

:wink: :wink:

I think that Even if you intellectualize the god concept we all start to pray when death or depression is about. Not to give validity to god but its the way the human mind works. Especially if you grow up indoctrinated in some religion and don't think outside the box. Of course its possible to wish real hard and bypass the God concept when hoping for winning lottery numbers but its the equivalent of prayer. I do believe in Karma as it seems more then coincidence. No white bearded guy in the sky but a connecting reality we don't understand seems in play. Simply one bounce begetting another could be all their is. Regardless if a wrathful god of biblical depictions exists I fear we would all be dead already we are such bastards

not sure what the point of this is .... if it's just telling ppl to enjoy their lives fair enough i suppose. otherwise r they turing into the kind of ppl who try to convert and shove their beliefs down other ppl's throats ??

It's a comical approach...the idea was from a comedy write. I guess they found it a little humourous to put their own ads up like the christians did.

not sure what the point of this is .... if it's just telling ppl to enjoy their lives fair enough i suppose. otherwise r they turing into the kind of ppl who try to convert and shove their beliefs down other ppl's throats ??

It's a comical approach...the idea was from a comedy write. I guess they found it a little humourous to put their own ads up like the christians did.

well seeing as i don't agree with other ppl "advertising" their beliefs or forcing them upon others i don't really see the point in this.

well seeing as i don't agree with other ppl "advertising" their beliefs or forcing them upon others i don't really see the point in this.

Agreed. The most ANNOYING thing about religious people is their penchant for jamming their ludicrous/ridiculous beliefs down other people's throats and then look to be "victim" when other people tell them to piss off. (if you need a perfect example, check out the "Santika's Cross" forum. Total turd.)

Religion and faith are like homosexuality.

Either you are born with it or your brain is chemically predisposed to think in such a way.

No matter how hard one tries, one cannot get religious "faith" if they need real evidence of the existence of a higher being.

One side will always view the other as aberrant.

Personal beliefs are okay, but organized religions have done and continue to do more damage than good.

Either you are born with it or your brain is chemically predisposed to think in such a way.

Nature/nurture? I think there's a case to be made for homosexuality to be nature, but I'd argue that people's life experiences have some affect on their religious beliefs.

No matter how hard one tries, one cannot get religious "faith" if they need real evidence of the existence of a higher being.

One side will always view the other as aberrant.

Personal beliefs are okay, but organized religions have done and continue to do more damage than good.

>>>Personal beliefs are okay, but organized religions have done and continue to do more damage than good.<<< i couldn't agree with you more!

I don't believe in Atheists or any of those man made religions. :P

Seriously though, who cares?

Certainly not some FAKEgod of any sort.

it seems like a "god" of any sort would not make us all suffer the woes of life. Take the "F" out of life and you have LIE.

Lets just make the best of it during our short span on this beautiful planet.

our last coven meeting agreed by a majority of 11 to 2 that atheists may make better sacrifices...

Apparently Jedis burn quite well too...

The Wicker Man II; coming to a ritual near you soon...

:D

The question is: How do you light alight?

have you been self prescribing AGAIN???

I have finally realised that Sassy is in fact a CPN; explains a lot... :D

our last coven meeting agreed by a majority of 11 to 2 that atheists may make better sacrifices...

Her brother has something to with CPN as well... you truly are Parkman!:P

Her brother has something to with CPN as well... you truly are Parkman!:P

so we both fight evil in our alter egos?? (well you also dress up in ladies clothes but we won't mention that... :wink: )

anth.jpg

drmike.jpg

anthony-head-12inchl.jpg

seperated at birth Giles? I mean Mike...

• 1 month later...

organized religion is all about control, control and power. . . concentrating the power of many and making it available for the use of a few.

in this way the Catholic Church and Amway have identical aims. . . and they're both cults. the one has enough adherents to masquerade behind the term "religion", the other "business".