Atheists have their say

Treborz

since you are either unable or unwilling to get there on your own: given that no one can prove or disprove the existence of God or gods, atheists cannot, by definition, say anything but probably, unless they wanted to give up all claims of rationality. given that generally atheists claim that their atheism is based in reason, well, DUH.

so why the bit about hedging bets? are you being dishonest or just thick? or was it supposed to be funny (you see what i did there, i left you an out. when you dig yourself a hole you don't *have* to keep digging).

A true atheist would say god does not exist. Not that god probably does not exist Probably being the clue :roll: A big difference between saying there is no god, and there isn't that much doubt that there is no god. One is certain the other leaves room for possiblity. So I guess I've left you an out :wink:

remind what u didn't say again !!!!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A true atheist would say god does not exist. Not that god probably does not exist Probably being the clue :roll: A big difference between saying there is no god, and there isn't that much doubt that there is no god. One is certain the other leaves room for possiblity. So I guess I've left you an out :wink:

what a load of f**king bollocks !!! we can NOT say god does NOT exist, because we can't prove it. but we can say we believe god doesn't exist !!!

see unlike god botherers we like to deal in stuff called facts and evidence and proof !! but u guys just counter all that with the "faith" bullshit !!!

I never said you could not (guess you haven't been reading). I'll try agin - a true athiest would say "god does not exist", not "god probably does not exist".

And, who are "u guys" and when have you read any "faith bullshit" from me? My position iis I don't know is god exists or not. aka - agnostic

as predicted, the 'debate' has fallen off the end of the pier, and now drowning in semantics. :roll:

Didn't someone say the pier went on infinitely. You know - like alpha and omega - I am... :wink:

Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. i.e. the opposite of "went on infinitely"

u really do have a problem with understanding what ppl write don't u !!! i don't put anybody at the god level ... whether other ppl choose to or not is up to them !!!

now i do believe u have said what "true atheists" should say regarding the probability of there being a god !!! so now U r deciding what defines a "true atheist" .... i'm sure they will all be very grateful to U !!

I read perfectly what you wrote. And BTW I haven't siad anything about a "true atheist" You're the one who continues to use those words. Feeling guilty or something?

On the other hand, you seem to be extremely anti-Catholic. Something happen in your past? You weren't Catholic before and have an incident with a priest did you :roll: Former alterboy maybe?

so not only do u have trouble understanding what other ppl write .... u can't even remember/understand what u've written urself !!

The bus advertising campaign is catching on. :thumbleft:

It's hilarious to read how those poor Christians now feel all victimised (lobotomised sure enough but...) by 'constant' atheist attacks...poor souls...*sniff, sniff*.

Some however now stand up for their right to be brainwashed and refuse to drive those buses or get onto them as passengers. :roll:

:bounce:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROFLMAO times TEN! THEY feel victimised?????? Like they NEVER harassed ANYBODY to convert to their superstition or BURN IN HELL FOR ETERNITY!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I hope every kristian in London rides those buses for eternity :-)

as predicted, the 'debate' has fallen off the end of the pier, and now drowning in semantics. :roll:

Didn't someone say the pier went on infinitely. You know - like alpha and omega - I am... :wink:

Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. i.e. the opposite of "went on infinitely"

You are correct except in one case - Christians definition. It is interpreted by many Christians to mean that Jesus existed from eternity and will exist eternally.

I didn't say it was correct :wink:

so not only do u have trouble understanding what other ppl write .... u can't even remember/understand what u've written urself !!

OK, you got me on that one (true) :oops: And I'd have to admit it is incorrect, at least from the statement point. Take out the word 'true' and I would still maintain that most atheist would say god does not exist.

OK, you got me on that one (true) :oops: And I'd have to admit it is incorrect, at least from the statement point. Take out the word 'true' and I would still maintain that most atheist would say god does not exist.

a) did you assume no one would figure out how to flip back a couple pages in the forum? (it IS really complicated, all those little numbers at the bottom of the page and stuff) or are you earnest but so astonishingly inept you don't even know what you're saying?

B) again, who are you to decide what "most" atheists would say? most atheists *i* know tend to believe in hypotheses to whatever degree evidence supports them. where is your evidence? can you produce a poll or something or is this just something you happened to pull out of your ass? i mean it's not looking good, is it, considering the whole ******* thread started with a billboard sponsored by atheists, *and* it used the world "probably". but hey, according to *you* and *you alone*, they aren't really atheists anyway.

keep up the work, you're well on your way to qualifying for the FAILYMPICS.

a) did you assume no one would figure out how to flip back a couple pages in the forum?

B) the whole f*cking thread started with a billboard sponsored by atheists, *and* it used the world "probably".

check and checkmate 8)

B) again, who are you to decide what "most" atheists would say? most atheists *i* know tend to believe in hypotheses to whatever degree evidence supports them. where is your evidence? can you produce a poll or something or is this just something you happened to pull out of your a*s? i mean it's not looking good, is it, considering the whole f*cking thread started with a billboard sponsored by atheists, *and* it used the world "probably". but hey, according to *you* and *you alone*, they aren't really atheists anyway.

actually the reason they used the word "probably" in the ad was to stay within the rules of advertising ... even though the christians ran an ad proclaiming "there definitely is a god" which attracted record number of complaints but no action from the advertising watchdog !!

Christian party advert draws more than 1,000 complaintsResponse to humanists' bus campaign is fourth most criticised ad of all time, says watchdog

Comments (135) Rebecca Smithers Consumer affairs correspondent guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 11 March 2009 14.01 GMT Article historyThe advertising watchdog has decided not to launch a formal investigation into a controversial advertisement from the Christian party proclaiming that "there is definitely a God", even though it has become one of the four most criticised adverts of all time.

The advertisement was unveiled by the party last month in response to the British Humanist Association's bus adverts, which state: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life." The Christian party's advert ? displayed on 50 London buses ? carries the slogan: "There definitely is a God. So join the Christian party and enjoy your life."

Figures from the Advertising Standards Authority reveal that the advertisement has so far attracted 1,045 complaints ? and rising ? making it the fourth most complained about advert since the ASA's records began. But it has decided not to launch an investigation because the poster is deemed to be 'electioneering material', and falls outside the remit of its codes of practice.

The ASA says it has been deluged with complaints since the beginning of the year, indicating the extent to which advertising has become the latest battleground between conflicting ideologies. Last month the Christian party's London headquarters were vandalised in an attack which police believe was a religious hate crime.

A spokesman for the ASA said today: "We will not be investigating the Christian party advert. We do not play the numbers game, it is about measuring the complaints against the advertising codes and judging whether or not there appear to be a problem under the rules." He said the Christian party ad was not investigated because the primary purpose of the poster was to promote the party.

"The advert was electioneering material as defined by clause 12.1 and therefore not subject to the code." The clauses states: "Any advertisement or direct marketing communication, whenever published or distributed, whose principal function is to influence voters in local, regional, national or international elections or referendums is exempt from the Code."

In January the ASA concluded that the aetheist "There's probably no God" bus ad campaign by the British Humanist Association did not breach the current advertising code and again decided not to launch an investigation.

That advert attracted 326 complaints, some complaining that the ad was offensive and denigratory to people of faith. Others challenged whether the advert was misleading because the advertiser would not be able to substantiate its claim that God "probably" does not exist. The ASA council concluded that the ad was an expression of the advertiser's opinion and that the claims in it were not capable of objective substantiation. Although it acknowledged that the content of the ad would be at odds with the beliefs of many, it concluded that it was unlikely to mislead or to cause serious or widespread offence.

People complaining about the Christian party advert believe the claim "there definitely is a God" is misleading because it cannot be substantiated, while some individuals have also objected that the advert is offensive to atheists. But the ASA spokesman said that even if the advert had fallen within the remit of its code, it was unlikely it would have investigated because of its decision not to investigate the aetheist bus campaign. The codes are being reviewed to streamline them and a public consultation is expected to be launched before the end of the month.

The ASA has also decided not to investigate two other advertising campaigns of a similar nature. An advertisement from the Russian Orthodox Church that stated "There IS a God, BELIEVE. Don't worry and enjoy your life" was, the ASA council considered, a reflection of the opinion of the advertisers and unlikely to mislead readers.

Similarly, the Trinitarian Bible Society's ad that claimed "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 53.1 " generated complaints that it was offensive and was insulting to atheists and non-Christians. Some also objected that the ad was misleading because it implied that God exists.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."

- Voltaire

Who also plays Chess in which we are mere pawns..

Is he not more likely to be playing a deluxe version of The Sims??? :?

One of my favorite things to do in The Sims (if I could stand playing it for longer than 15 minutes) was to build a small, square shaped house with no windows or doors. All it contains inside is a cheap light, a workout machine and a mirror. I laughed as I was putting the gears in motion.

- Voltaire

That's actually a serious scientific proposition...

http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

...and I read another paper that was searching for mathematical "glitches in the matrix" to support that theory.

- Voltaire

...and I read another paper that was searching for mathematical "glitches in the matrix" to support that theory.

fascinating reading. But I think Im gonna have bad dreams tonight

- Voltaire

you realize that coming from a guy whose screen-name is "Neo," this suggests more than a hint of confirmation bias...

you realize that coming from a guy whose screen-name is "Neo," this suggests more than a hint of confirmation bias...

Just let me know when you're ready for your red pill. BTW I had an interesting conversation with Agent Smith about this a few years back.

Just let me know when you're ready for your red pill. BTW I had an interesting conversation with Agent Smith about this a few years back.

anecdotal evidence. meh.