TF Photo Competition *January*

Hobbes

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note to self: Shoot something boring!

Nothing about you is boring! :o

Thats true, as she's my girlfriend and I'm certainly NOT boring.

i dunno last i heard the happy couple spend their wild nights playing Scrabble... sounds pretty damned exciting to me, James Bond and his fiancee kinda stuff...

with the triple word score always out there on the perimeter it can get scary ..........

Note to self: Shoot something boring!

Nothing about you is boring! :o

Thats true, as she's my girlfriend and I'm certainly NOT boring.

i dunno last i heard the happy couple spend their wild nights playing Scrabble... sounds pretty damned exciting to me, James Bond and his fiancee kinda stuff...

with the triple word score always out there on the perimeter it can get scary ..........

Triple word?? You joking? I only aim for 7 words bingo :twisted:

white balance is what it says on the tin.

it is an adjustment of the color so that the white parts are white, in simplest terms. it allows you to get natural looking color without obvious color casts. camera manual should tell you how to set it.

have to be careful with it though. if you shoot in incandescent light (indoors at night) these lights give off a warm light and white walls and stuff actually LOOK yellowy to your eyes. in that case, white balance will make he picture look weird.

also, if you study the functions of your camera... the point and shoots can be quite grand :P Use it manually rather than 'auto'.

this photo comp has encouraged me to play with the manual settings on my point and shoot but ultimately i like looking at what photographers see. they always seem to have this amazing vision, i'm looking fwd to what the pros will do with such an open subject.

i'd actually like to know what white balance does as per comments from Dec comp.

i've learnt about backgrounds, tighter focus and level horizons from looking at beejoirs shots but still don't know how to get that focused subject with blurred background (or vice-versa) w/out using photoshop

in that respect i'd like more expansive comments rather than i would have shot it better, changed the white balance etc respect to clemenf for his tutorial on zooming while shooting, i didn't even know you could do that!

http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_white-balance.html

D40 is 1/5th of the price, and really very good. Come borrow the one I've got for a week, see how you get on with it, I'll even leave my sexy pictures on the SD card and pretend I forgot about it.

how much is the D40 now ?? and how many lenses would u need ??

i bought a panasonic fz-18 (i see there's an fz-28 out now) and love it.

had toyed with the idea of buying a DSLR, but decided against it.

also saw good reviews for casio and canon's new super zoom and also !!

D40 is 1/5th of the price, and really very good. Come borrow the one I've got for a week, see how you get on with it, I'll even leave my sexy pictures on the SD card and pretend I forgot about it.

how much is the D40 now ?? and how many lenses would u need ??

i bought a panasonic fz-18 (i see there's an fz-28 out now) and love it.

had toyed with the idea of buying a DSLR, but decided against it.

also saw good reviews for casio and canon's new super zoom and also !!

200 quid inc one lens 18-55.

Tis all you need, nothing fancy, can use it 100% manual, nice and compact.

now there's a disturbingly erotic offer if ever there was one!!!

200 quid eh.. i could swing that past the missus...

Thats Amazon.co.uk should be the same in Bangkok, considering they are made here.

Thought I would try to up my game ... just downloaded Photoshop Elements 6 and been playing around with it... great fun :D

Niagara.jpg

Also bought the D40 the other month 230GBP, still learning it... had a go on Friday night with a few mates using a surface covered in water a 20 pound note and some nasty powder (not mine)... wasn't a great success .. mock-up below..

NastyHabit2.jpg

........... or if your a woman, go with what ever looks prettiest.

yes, i got a bright pink one and it takes lousy pictures. my older lighter pink camera was better.

lighter pink cameras always have better choice of shutter speeds than bright pink ones (sorry to get technical)

Now, sky cow, you have met your match...

bfh_manatee.jpg

Some people have recommended the Nikon D40. It's a great entry level DSLR. The Canon's are also worth looking at. At first I thought that Nikon/Canon were basically the same. Here's what I've noticed after a few years:

Canon cameras are usually smaller and lighter.

Nikon cameras usually do better in low light.

So if you want the smallest/lightest between Nikon and Canon, then go for a Canon 450D (or 2nd hand 350D, 400D).

If you don't mind the weight and size go for the Nikon, especially for night street photography. Note also that the D40 is a 6 megapixel camera, which is borderline on the resolution (amount of detail in the photos). That's great for posting on the net, but large prints could be a little soft.