Bangkok weather - this is not normal!

dizx

What you think about the current weather in BKK?  

307 members have voted

1. 1. What you think about the current weather in BKK?

• Im freezing, get me outta here!
    • Cold? Haven't noticed...
    • I love it! Let it continue forever!
    • My beer is nice and cold

Question

Hey guys. I come from a part of the world where the weather is on everybody's lips daily. Everybody talk about it. Because the diversity in the weather conditions is quite huge compared to Thailand.

This is my fourth winter here. And to my recollection, we usually had about 7-10 days with "cold" weather the last three winters, and then it became hot again.

This winter is different. It started to get cold already late November and most of December was colder than usual. This last week has been quite cold, and you can see Thai people are wearing anoraks. 16-17 degrees at night is colder that i have ever witnessed in Bangkok. And the weather forecast tells me its gonna continue for a few more days.

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48456.html

To be honest i love it! I love the hot weather as well, but its nice to drive with open windows, sleep without AC and so on.

Whats your thought about this? Have you experienced weather like this before in BKK? Is global warming a hoax (yes it is..) ?

Please let me hear your comments on today most interesting topic on TF :P

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If it is too hot for you in BKK just head to Loei or Phetchabun where it was 2 degrees on Sunday night.

Just a brief drop to to a cold front from China, and most of the northern hemisphere seems to be havign a brief cold spell (nice shots of Madrid covered in snow the other day).

Nothing to worry about unless your a guy 'strutting his stuff' and your member is looking a little smaller than usual.

I'm freezing in my house! need to wear sweater and socks, cannot walk barefoot anymore.

I love it in daytime but at night it's too cold for me so I have to shut all windows from the wind and I cant easy breathe.

But I like wearing winter accessories :) we now can look like korean lol

I don't think it's normal weather but some of expert said it's still normal! Do not panic.

I agree, I seriously doubt global warming is a correct definition.

It should be called NATURAL weather. The Earth goes through

hot and cold periods and without REALLY trying hard, I honestly

doubt mankind has any real influence. One large Volcanic erruption

produces more carbon and pollution that mankind produces in 50

years.

On a side note, does anyone have any info on Yosemite earthquakes?

This is my fourth winter here. And to my recollection, we usually had about 7-10 days with "cold" weather the last three winters, and then it became hot again.

This winter is different.

I think it's not so unusual. December 1999 was cold too. I went out wearing jeans and a t-shirt and nearly froze to death. Meanwhile the locals were wearing coats, scarves and gloves. Also in recent winters my Thai friends were complaining that it's hotter than usual, so this is more of a return to normal I'd say.

The earth is f**ked up already....

Unusual things happened a lot in a few years back....

It's fair enough tho we have been living on this earth for a very long time.. Everything has the end of it, nothing last forever.. sooner or later but one day everything will be gone.

Global warming is just to help speed up the circle...

The earth is f**ked up already....

Unusual things happened a lot in a few years back....

It's fair enough tho we have been living on this earth for a very long time.. Everything has the end of it, nothing last forever.. sooner or later but one day everything will be gone.

Global warming is just to help speed up the circle...

Drink one more vodka...and I'll set you on fire......

I agree, I seriously doubt global warming is a correct definition.

It should be called NATURAL weather. The Earth goes through

hot and cold periods and without REALLY trying hard, I honestly

doubt mankind has any real influence. One large Volcanic erruption

years.

On a side note, does anyone have any info on Yosemite earthquakes?

I don't think Yosemite is an earthquake zone, but it is a beautiful place.

"Geologist says the odds of a cataclysmic eruption at Yellowstone...are astonishingly remote - about the same as a large meteorite hitting the Earth." Crap, now we're all going to die in a super volcano AND meteorite hit FARK

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/Y/YELLOWSTONE_VOLCANO_HYSTERIA?SITE=AP

I am enjoying this rare cool Bangkok weather a great deal.

One large Volcanic erruption

years.

Can you please refrain from spreading nonsense? Thank you in advance on behalf of intelligent minds everywhere.

maybe nonsense a bit harsh; slight exaggeration certainly. Around a decade's worth of CO2 in an average volcanic explosion rather than 50 years worth!!

:)

years.

Can you please refrain from spreading nonsense? Thank you in advance on behalf of intelligent minds everywhere.

I will say anything I want, anytime I want, and I case that fact on science.

It's not a freaking debate got that?

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0197833.html

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0769041.html

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3024/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcano

The arctic and antarctic are also melting because of underwater volcanoes.

Go brush your teeth.

years.

Mike, happy thoughts, happy thoughts, happy thoughts

And it is a debate; that is the purpose of forums; if you think you are right ALL the time, become a mod.

And your figures on carbon are exaggerated; it would be around a decades worth of CO2 compared to what man produces...

now go and hug the other poster...

:D

years.

And it is a debate; that is the purpose of forums; if you think you are right ALL the time, become a mod.

And your figures on carbon are exaggerated; it would be around a decades worth of CO2 compared to what man produces...

Re read my post. I put the facts on it.

I've decided not to be so kind anymore.

(except to people who respect me.)

Besides, I'm happy. :)

years.

Ok doc, can you reference your facts please?

Because everything I have read or seen estimates that the carbon and sulphur emissions of an average volcanic eruption to be equivalent to what man produces in around a decade.

So I just want to be able to e mail all these Professors of Vulcanology to tell them they are 40 years out!!!!

Glad you're happy today!! Keep smiling!

Gas emissions from volcanoes are a natural contributor to acid rain. Volcanic activity releases about 130 to 230 teragrams (145 million to 255 million short tons) of carbon dioxide each year.[2] Volcanic eruptions may inject aerosols into the Earth's atmosphere. Large injections may cause visual effects such as unusually colorful sunsets and affect global climate mainly by cooling it. Volcanic eruptions also provide the benefit of adding nutrients to soil through the weathering process of volcanic rocks. These fertile soils assist the growth of plants and various crops. Volcanic eruptions can also create new islands, as the magma cools and solidifies upon contact with the water.

There are many different kinds of volcanic activity and eruptions: phreatic eruptions (steam-generated eruptions), explosive eruption of high-silica lava (e.g., rhyolite), effusive eruption of low-silica lava (e.g., basalt), pyroclastic flows, lahars (debris flow) and carbon dioxide emission. All of these activities can pose a hazard to humans. Earthquakes, hot springs, fumaroles, mud pots and geysers often accompany volcanic activity.

The concentrations of different volcanic gases can vary considerably from one volcano to the next. Water vapor is typically the most abundant volcanic gas, followed by carbon dioxide and sulfur dioxide. Other principal volcanic gases include hydrogen sulfide, hydrogen chloride, and hydrogen fluoride. A large number of minor and trace gases are also found in volcanic emissions, for example hydrogen, carbon monoxide, halocarbons, organic compounds, and volatile metal chlorides.

Large, explosive volcanic eruptions inject water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur dioxide (SO2), hydrogen chloride (HCl), hydrogen fluoride (HF) and ash (pulverized rock and pumice) into the stratosphere to heights of 16?32 kilometres (10?20 mi) above the Earth's surface. The most significant impacts from these injections come from the conversion of sulfur dioxide to sulfuric acid (H2SO4), which condenses rapidly in the stratosphere to form fine sulfate aerosols. The aerosols increase the Earth's albedo?its reflection of radiation from the Sun back into space - and thus cool the Earth's lower atmosphere or troposphere; however, they also absorb heat radiated up from the Earth, thereby warming the stratosphere. Several eruptions during the past century have caused a decline in the average temperature at the Earth's surface of up to half a degree (Fahrenheit scale) for periods of one to three years ? sulfur dioxide from the eruption of Huaynaputina probably caused the Russian famine of 1601 - 1603. The sulfate aerosols also promote complex chemical reactions on their surfaces that alter chlorine and nitrogen chemical species in the stratosphere. This effect, together with increased stratospheric chlorine levels from chlorofluorocarbon pollution, generates chlorine monoxide (ClO), which destroys ozone (O3). As the aerosols grow and coagulate, they settle down into the upper troposphere where they serve as nuclei for cirrus clouds and further modify the Earth's radiation balance. Most of the hydrogen chloride (HCl) and hydrogen fluoride (HF) are dissolved in water droplets in the eruption cloud and quickly fall to the ground as acid rain. The injected ash also falls rapidly from the stratosphere; most of it is removed within several days to a few weeks. Finally, explosive volcanic eruptions release the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide and thus provide a deep source of carbon for biogeochemical cycles.

years.

dr. mike...i think you may have missed a period or coma in the last post...better fix it fast or you'll never hear the end of it...

years.

dr. mike...i think you may have missed a period or coma in the last post...better fix it fast or you'll never hear the end of it...

Hi Garlic, good to see you online sir. :) Can you believe that guy?

How's the weather at your place?

Ugh, hold on a second ... Dr. Mike keeps posting stuff before I have a chance to make an intelligent response ... bleh, I wanted to get to sleep before 2 tonight haha.

Okay, since we have digressed to copy and pasting articles instead of making arguments, I will let this snip be where I lay the center of my stance:

-----------------------

Explosive eruptions can inject large quantities of dust and gaseous

material (such as sulphur dioxide) into the upper atmosphere (the

stratosphere - see Figure 1.1, section 1.2.2), where sulphur dioxide is

rapidly converted into sulphuric acid aerosols. Whereas volcanic pollution

of the lower atmosphere is removed within days by the effects of rainfall

and gravity, stratospheric pollution may remain there for several years,

gradually spreading to cover much of the globe.

The volcanic pollution results in a substantial reduction in the

direct solar beam, largely through scattering by the highly reflective

sulphuric acid aerosols. This can amount to tens of percent. The reduction,

is however, compensated for by an increase in diffuse radiation and by the

absorption of outgoing terrestrial radiation (the greenhouse effect).

Overall, there is a net reduction of 5 to 10% in energy received at the

Earth's surface.

--------------------

taken from: http://www.gaspig.com/volcano.htm

Mike, that's not a reference, that's a copy and paste from Wiki.

Where does it mention 50 years??

Now, if 130 to 230 teragrams of CO2 is released by volcanic activity each year, but the US alone pruduces around 2000 teragrams of CO2 in a year, can you perhaps see where your estimate may have gone wrong?

In other words, the US alone produces around 10 times the CO2 than the average of all volcanic activity!!

sources from

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/greenhousegases.htm

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/climate/420r06003summary.htm

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/1605/ggrpt/index.html

http://logicalscience.blogspot.com

Basically, what I am trying to say, and dont need a Doctorate to understand, is that the effects of ozone-harming pollutants is minimal compared to the net reduction in the amount of solar radiation compared to the increase in the greenhouse effect.

So much so, that scientists have looked into duplicating the effects of volcanic eruptions. Good article here about it:

http://earth2tech.com/2007/10/25/man-vs-the-volcano-is-seeding-the-stratosphere-really-the-solution-to-global-warming/

Thank you, gotta go brush my teeth now.

Mike, that's not a reference, that's a copy and paste from Wiki.

Where does it mention 50 years??

Now, if 130 to 230 teragrams of CO2 is released by volcanic activity each year, but the US alone pruduces around 2000 teragrams of CO2 in a year, can you perhaps see where your estimate may have gone wrong?

In other words, the US alone produces around 10 times the CO2 than the average of all volcanic activity!!

sources from

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/greenhousegases.htm

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/climate/420r06003summary.htm

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/1605/ggrpt/index.html

http://logicalscience.blogspot.com

Yes of course it was a copy and paste.

You guys are pulling out global warming data from your noses, that fact is, global warming is a NATURAL occurring reality, that is and was my point.