Getting the pee taken out of you

PSA

So, I have spent over half my life in Thailand. I consider my Thai fluent and translate for the media regularly. But how should one respond when you meet someone who imitates a bad western accent speaking Thai when respond to you, even though you asked in a fairly correct manner and the quite lucidly

interesting along the same line i have heard westerners speaking to thai's in english with the sing-song accent in their speech. i have always thought that strange as if that would make you more understandable to a person to whom english is not their langage.i speak,read and write spanish but sometimes do not understand a non-native speaker it if they have a strange accent.This may be what you encountred that a local may not have a good grasp of english and then does not have another avenue to communicate with you if they do not understand your thai.

• 3 weeks later...

it depends on the person, some people just don't flat out understand depending on how educated they are my current girlfriend can understand me fine but when we go out drinking or I meet some of her friends they have a hard time understanding especially after a couple of drinks haha.. ive a

I have an australian accent obviously and i've always wondered how it sounds to a thai person when I speak thai, i've always thought id sound mildly retarded and slow because the language is naturally quite fast. i've met some thai people with some cool accents haha the ones with american/british accents are actually so adorable :wink:

Have a look at my photographic work please,my inquiry didn't imply the same situation wouldn't be encountered by any expat living in any country worldwide. I am not that ignorant and still address racism when directed at me or others. My question was how should I address it with out either losing face myself, still addressing an issue I feel needs addressed but in a tone that is correct and won't get anyone's backs up is important and I wanted your advice but not abuse.

Yes, my English is incorrect at times when I visit these forums. But again last night I worked to dawn taking pictures of bonded children, sold into beggar gangs by their parents, doped senseless each night so they look more needy and passive when their mobster "carers" beg for money from mainly foreigner passers by who don't understand the true circumstances of the children involved. I deal with my anger each morning with a drink or three. The mafia minder stepping up to me for a row last night was fun too.

Any statement or paragraph written in my opening lead that seemed negative to Thai's alone was NOT At ALL Intended. Or should I just address issues of Western racism. I lived with my Asian step laws in East London, Plastow, for five years. I see the unforgivable condescending arrogance many westerners carry with them. This also makes me as incensed if not more so. But this prejudice is of course in all of us.

Why do I take the bate, I will keep any further entries, fluffy and safe.

JT

After I read your post about 10 times ++ I really don't get it... I don't know what the answer you want is. Sorry I'm just a Thai who is around "Thailandfriends" website / forum. Can you just use the easier language?