Guess which website..

condotown

Question

This pulled directly from stickman's weekly column... It reminded me of some place very familiar... And why wouldn't stickman mention the site? Maybe it was an advertiser....

The embarrassing forum...

I think you recently wrote a commentary on the problems with expat forums about Thailand. I wanted to share my impressions with you. I have had one experience with <edited to avoid embarrassment - Stick> and it has not been pleasant. Based on my observations, any post is often met with an attack from other members. Any question is often replied to in all of the following ways:

1. I am labeled as stupid for needing to ask the question.

2. I am labeled as stupid for having gotten myself in a position such that I have to ask this question.

3. I am told that I deserve my misery because I should have known better than to get myself in this situation in the first place (this could be for almost any question).

4. There are all kinds of insulting conclusions about my motivations and about me as a person that are usually wrong, and are not based on any information that I provided in the post.

5. Many of the posts do not attempt to answer the question I posted at all.

It is brutal. I only post when I need factual information. I give out very little information and do not engage in discussion at all on this forum.

16 answers to this question

I must admit; despite my keen detective skills, I do not recognise this website as being any of those which I frequent on a regular basis.

However, Don. let me try and answer your post.

I think you must be a bit stupid for needing to ask this question at all.

I also think that as a long term resident of Bangkok, you should not have been stupid enough to get yourself in the position that you felt you needed to ask this question and that, because of this, any misery that is produced as a result of said situation is thoroughly deserved.

I also strongly suspect that your motivation in making this post is extremely suspect and is probably to do with bar girls, or go go bars, or world events or the current economic crisis. Whatever, one thing I can say for sure is that you had some motivation in posting this. Honesty may free you of this heavy burden...

:D

Hmm, not a clue which website this could be ;-)

But very likely it is the same as everywhere: just a small group of antisocial loudmouths destroy the atmosphere and scare off the less cynical ones from posting. These types need the anonymity of the internet to feel strong. That's poor but so far quite normal. I think really embarrassing are the followers!

Hmm, not a clue which website this could be ;-)

But very likely it is the same as everywhere: just a small group of antisocial loudmouths destroy the atmosphere and scare off the less cynical ones from posting. These types need the anonymity of the internet to feel strong. That's poor but so far quite normal. I think really embarrassing are the followers!

There is a fair amount of 'verbal jousting' goes on, and it can get quite vitriolic between certain parties who will never agree to disagree.

But I think when a genuinely serious question is posed in a genuinely serious way, that many members will give a valid answer (and yes, there will be wanderings off topic, but that's an integral part of the TF experience)

If you look back over forum topics, you will find (amongst the dross such as 'what are you doing at this precise moment in time') a lot of good information; from informal travel reports and reviews, through economic discussions all the way to restaurant/club/accommodation recommendations!

I could guarantee that the person who posted on stickman had posted something along the lines of ' coming to Thailand on holiday -seek sexy woman for interpreter/guide/bed companion services' and did not like the response he got!!

I must admit; despite my keen detective skills, I do not recognise this website as being any of those which I frequent on a regular basis.

However, Don. let me try and answer your post.

I think you must be a bit stupid for needing to ask this question at all.

I also think that as a long term resident of Bangkok, you should not have been stupid enough to get yourself in the position that you felt you needed to ask this question and that, because of this, any misery that is produced as a result of said situation is thoroughly deserved.

I also strongly suspect that your motivation in making this post is extremely suspect and is probably to do with bar girls, or go go bars, or world events or the current economic crisis. Whatever, one thing I can say for sure is that you had some motivation in posting this. Honesty may free you of this heavy burden...

:D

LOL

Can't believe I never saw this thread! Where was I? I actually spoke to stick about this as I wanted to know to what forum he was referring...turns out it was an advertiser's forum, but not this one!

Though the description did sound eerily familiar...

I read forums in Thaivisa.com, Thailandfriends and Phuket-info.com.

They are all just as brutal as each other... However, Phuket-info has a Newbies' Forum where flaming is banned. I'm not sure of the criteria for being a Newbie, but it seemed like a good idea.

I also remember suggesting a 'No-Holds-Barred' forum, where all the assholes who like a cyber-punch-up could join in and insult each other without fear of a yellow card.

A few months ago we had a 'Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough forum' - that was fun and no-one got a yellow... although one Kilt-Wearing-Offal-Eater threw his sgian dubh out of the pram

They are all just as brutal as each other... However, Phuket-info has a Newbies' Forum where flaming is banned. I'm not sure of the criteria for being a Newbie, but it seemed like a good idea.

I also remember suggesting a 'No-Holds-Barred' forum, where all the assholes who like a cyber-punch-up could join in and insult each other without fear of a yellow card.

... although one Kilt-Wearing-Offal-Eater threw his sgian dubh out of the pram

oh nowhere as badly as a sour tempered baldy bum fiddler did!!!! :lol:

So sorry - I didn't write that... a grumpy, malevolent, nymphomaniacal ex did... surely you recognise the style from her Facebook...

So sorry - I didn't write that... a grumpy, malevolent, nymphomaniacal ex did... surely you recognise the style from her Facebook...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ex?? are you sure??? do i need to publish the pics of ol egg head havin fun??

:twisted:

Hey... don't call her Egg-head - it's a new hair style - a little short, but it really suits her.

Hey... don't call her Egg-head - it's a new hair style - a little short, but it really suits her.

:lol::lol::lol:

it's called a bob...

nuff said.

:wink: