Chiang Mai Smog

Bruce551

CHIANG MAI SMOG (From the Post Bag)

On March 2, 2009, Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Suwit Khunakitti and his group visited Chiang Mai to observe the smog conditions. According to the Chiang Mai Mail, after acknowledging the negative impact on public health and tourism, he blamed local budget constraints for the problem. The paper also stated that the particle counts in Chiang Mai far exceed the so-called safety level.

One of the first responsibilities of government is to protect its citizens, including their health.

Stating that there are budgetary constraints is incredibly short-sighted considering that the annual smog conditions in the North are costing Thailand billions in lost income and taxes from tourism plus the added cost to health care for treating the people, and there are many, suffering respiratory problems not to mention the cancer-causing effect on the Thai people.

The other aspect to this is the irresponsibility of the media. I have asked my Thai wife about the coverage and she said it is minimal.

The Nation actually has more than the Bangkok Post, but it is still minimal.

What I recommend to you is some investigative reporting. Get one of your reporters to do a series of articles on this subject. Believe me, you will increase your circulation. For example, a lot of the problem is blamed on the hill tribes and Burma.

The fact is that, if you just drive around the countryside, you will see fires in many places.

I have a four-year-old son. At his school the students are kept in all day. I really worry about him and his mother. I am also concerned about all the Thai workers and their families that depend on tourism and of course about their health.

Here is my recommendation: Since burning is illegal, the people responsible should be fined and these events should be widely published. Once it starts sinking in that the law will be enforced, it should work as a preventative measure.

I told my wife that I wanted to make a video on the subject but she is totally against it. She is afraid there will be repercussions from the government. I had to agree. This is a very sad situation. ([i}you can say that again)

Chiang Mai Mayo; Dr. Duentemduang na Chiengmai.

(I believe the Mayor is trying hard to prevent the Smog condition, but she is getting very little help from the National Gov.)

Mayor: I don?t think so, as last year the pollution started to build from January.

CMM: Persons who have lived here for 30 years may believe that the haze over the city has nothing to do with air-borne pollution.  Would you agree with this? 

Mayor: Yes, and no, as, in the past, the haze visible during the dry and hot seasons was not harmful.  Nowadays, burning of agricultural waste and rubbish and forest wildfires, together with factory output and exhaust emissions combine to make a haze which is harmful to health as pollutants within it exceed safe levels.

CMM: Does the Chiang Mai administration expect pollution to be worse this year than in previous years? 

Mayor: Many authorised organisations will, in the near future, instigate preventative measures and efforts to promote the ?cause and effect? of unregulated burning of rubbish and forest areas.  The municipality already provides a collection and disposal service for leaves and tree branches.  There has been a noticeable decrease in the amount of  burning within the city borders this year, but we need a great deal more cooperation from all rural and city authorities.

CMM: Are there regulations about emissions from songthaews, tuk-tuks, diesel-engined buses, large vehicles, etc?

Mayor: Regulations do exist regarding the levels of exhaust emissions, particularly for diesel engines, which are required to comply with a level of 45% or lower.

(IMO these regulations are not in enforced, I see smoky Song Thaews all the time)

CMM: Does the city?s administration collaborate with other authorities, both in Thailand and internationally? 

Mayor: We work with many organisations both in and outside the kingdom, including the Department of Natural Resources and the Environment, the Department of Pollution Control, the Office of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, the Forestry Department and certain German organisations.  All help to give us knowledge about how best to proceed.  We have never ignored this issue.

CMM: You have said that burnings which occur on forest land are a major cause of pollution.  Does the city?s administration have any control over this?

Mayor: Municipal law and its announcements do include setting fires in forested areas.  We also advise in rural areas as regards the correct manner in which to dispose of leaves and branches, as many older residents in agricultural districts have been used to the practice of burning for most of their lives. 

CMM: Previously, you have mentioned that approximately 40% of Chiang Mai?s GDP comes either directly or indirectly from tourism or the expat community. 

This issue is clearly having an immediate affect on tourism, what do you suggest can be done to remedy this?
Mayor: The municipality will continue to plan to prevent the problems caused by pollution, in whichever sector they occur. 

We have announced that pollution is severely affecting the number of tourists coming to the city; we do not wish tourists to believe that Chiang Mai is an unhealthy place to visit.  We will continue to request cooperation from all residents in preventing burning, maintaining their vehicles correctly, and watering down trees and areas of ground to prevent dust. 

We are cooperating with outside organisations as regards the burning of forest areas, as the effect on wildlife and the natural environment is devastating.  Recently, in Mae Aie, Chiang Dao, Phrao, Mae Tang and Doi Saket districts, as many as 18 ?hot spots? were found. 

CMM: Dr. Duentemduang, thank you for finding time from your busy schedule to speak with the Chiang Mai Mail.

Government minister blames local budget constraints for northern smog.

Thailand?s Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment, Suwit Khunakitti and his group were welcomed by Chiang Mai governor Wibun Sa-nguanpong on their arrival at Aviation Aerospace Division 41 on March 2, where a helicopter trip to inspect burned areas in the northern region had been arranged. Later, at City Hall, a meeting was held with officials responsible for protection against pollution and toxic fumes.

At the meeting, Suwit stated that pollution from forest fires and illegal burning had spread throughout Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lampang, Lamphun, and Mae Hong Son. He acknowledged the problem, but added that budget constraints were impeding progress towards a solution. Some 60% of towns and 40% of forests in the region are now affected by the toxic haze, with protection against wildfires still insufficient.

An additional 2,000 officers are needed to adequately monitor the area during the hot season. Suwit stated that local residents must cease burning immediately, and stressed the impact on both residents? health and tourist revenues of the present critical levels of particles in the atmosphere.

In Chiang Mai city, the measurement station at Yuparat Wittayalai School has registered readings of 195.3 micrograms/m3, with a 24-hour average of 133, as against a safe level of 120 or below. Another station in the city has registered 191.4 micrograms /m3, and a 24-hour average of 131. Water sprays across the city are being regularly used. At present, in Lampang, stations are showing 170.9 micrograms/m3, Lamphun is registering 127.9 micrograms/m3 and Mae Hong Son is showing 125.5.

Persons who wish to report burning or forest fires should call 053-275265 or 053-408997 during office hours or dial the 24 hour reporting service on 1310.

:?

It really is a shame. I always joke about this with my wife saying that Thais are pyromaniacsm, but it is pretty serious.

When I first arrived in Thailand I took the train from BKK to Chiang Mai. Windows were open and our first observation was the amount of trash burning here and there.

When we arrived, I noticed that I was covered in a thin film of ash! My nose was filled with smut as well...pretty gross. I couldn't imagine living in all of that. It's a shame as Chiang Mai is one of the most beautiful areas of Thailand.

I agree...Bust some people, give them fines, and show it all over the news. Hey, it's another way for the police to make some extra baht!

The truth: air in Chiang Mai is killing people

Published: 24/03/2009 at 12:00 AM

Post Bag

Living in Chiang Mai these last two months has been a bit like living in a garage with the car engine running, with the front port closed and with only small windows open high up for ventilation.

I use the garage analogy because it seems fashionable to blame the wood smoke from burning of forests and fields, to blame the Burmese and the Lao, the minorities and the farmers, rather than another major culprit for Chiang Mai's dreadful air _ the dust and toxic gases created by traffic. (Fact)

Developers have been and remain busy along the new middle and outer ring roads, tearing up rice fields in one place and filling them in another for housing projects, factories and shopping malls. A belt of new suburbia girds the city, and its inhabitants almost totally depend on the use of private motor transportation.

No one has yet been able to overcome the red songthaeo operators and the shadowy cooperative that organises them; apparently its members do not even have to have their vehicles checked.

This group and the powerful figures behind them present a major obstacle to setting up a rational bus system. (So True)

Chiang Mai has no organised mass transit bus system. No government has ever tried to set up an alternative to the use of private cars by massively funding a transportation agency and ensuring it has the powers to cut through the morass of different agencies and areas of administration within the city and the surrounding districts.

(A good example of totally ineffective government)

Thus, attempts to reduce traffic flow into the city and consequentially toxic emissions, have been almost non-existent, and the City Planning Department officials can only propose more road widening. (selfish, greedy, stupid people)

Micro-particles (particles of less than 10 microns) thought to seriously affect respiratory health, are increasingly reaching levels over 4 times the European safety standard of 50 microgrammes (per cubic metre/24 hours; the Thai standard is 120mg) during the dry and hot seasons.

With tens of thousands confirmed sick with respiratory problems and the numbers thought to be suffering from breathing ailments in excess of 100,000 people, and with lung cancer running at rates more than twice that of Bangkok and increasing, the medical facts speak for themselves.

Yes, the rains should come, the winds should blow, and for another season government officials will announce that p-10 levels are below the Thai safety standard.

Housing estate billboards portraying a dreamy green suburbia surrounded by mountains will continue to give public face to the ever growing lie.

(Paradise Lost)

The truth is breathing on Chiang Mai's streets and arterial roads is unpleasant at most times year-round. For months on end you can barely see the mountains from the ring roads, if at all.

From sometime in January till whenever the rains start, the air in the city and much of the valley becomes extremely unhealthy, if not life-threatening. And it's getting worse every year.

OLIVER HARGREAVE

-----

:x

Housing estate billboards portraying a dreamy green suburbia surrounded by mountains will continue to give public face to the ever growing lie

(Paradise Lost)

with lung cancer running at rates more than twice that of Bangkok and increasing, the medical facts speak for themselves

all fuckkin' true AND truly pathetic, also for someone long accustomed to the *** $hiT...... this whole situation is really getting on my (& many other THINKING people) nerves

selfish, greedy, stupid people!!!

I suppose the so-called sfety level on air pollution in Thailand is higher than in most European countries. Here you're even not allowed to burn anything. You have to sort your waste and the public service will recycle almost 60 to 70 % of it for reuse.

I wonder if there's even some regular control on car's emission?

I think the police and the government is more busy with lucrative things than with theirr people's health.

Hi Bruce,

I had a similar story in mind, 2 years ago, and - BINGO - after a bit research I found your journal

http://www.thailandfriends.com/index.php?name=Journal&view=journal&juid=43336&jid=39548.

Another ***-story for me, it won't change... :?

From POSTBAG, 9 March 07

Breathless up North

Your front-page warning on Chiang Mai's air quality index surprises no

one here. This is a crisis problem that occurs at this time each year;

when Doi Suthep disappears from view, it's time to wear a face mask. No

kidding, people ride bikes around with gas masks on (cheap surgical masks

are useless). The air quality index is 157, compared to Bangkok's 100. It

burns your throat, leaves you with a headache and you can feel the

heaviness in your lungs. Some tourist destination this is, try living

here!

Although a long dry season and a windless March do contribute, it is the

rampant habit of burning that is mostly responsible. Even in urban areas,

educated and informed residents seem to habitually burn both their

organic and inorganic trash without care. We suffer this every year;

warnings are made in the media but little is done to educate, enforce or

control this.

Hospitals are full of respiratory cases, doctors point out an abnormally

high number of patients with lung infections caused by the sub-10

particles that penetrate the membranes, but no one counts the cost of

this extremely hazardous situation. I'd advise outsiders to stay away.

ANDREW

Chiang Mai

Hi Bruce,

I had a similar story in mind, 2 years ago, and - BINGO - after a bit research I found your journal

http://www.thailandfriends.com/index.php?name=Journal&view=journal&juid=43336&jid=39548.

Another TIT-story for me, it won't change... :?

From POSTBAG, 9 March 07

Breathless up North

Your front-page warning on Chiang Mai's air quality index surprises no

one here. This is a crisis problem that occurs at this time each year;

when Doi Suthep disappears from view, it's time to wear a face mask. No

kidding, people ride bikes around with gas masks on (cheap surgical masks

are useless). The air quality index is 157, compared to Bangkok's 100. It

burns your throat, leaves you with a headache and you can feel the

heaviness in your lungs. Some tourist destination this is, try living

here!

Although a long dry season and a windless March do contribute, it is the

rampant habit of burning that is mostly responsible. Even in urban areas,

educated and informed residents seem to habitually burn both their

organic and inorganic trash without care. We suffer this every year;

warnings are made in the media but little is done to educate, enforce or

control thiw

Hospitals are full of respiratory cases, doctors point out an abnormally

high number of patients with lung infections caused by the sub-10

particles that penetrate the membranes, but no one counts the cost of

this extremely hazardous situation. I'd advise outsiders to stay away.

ANDREW

Chiang Mai

I doubt any of this will change a thing. Even if it does spark a change, it will most likely last for a couple months at best....then it will go back to the old way...sigh.

should we tell you to go to Naples?? :twisted:

you talkin' about those beautiful meditsexyyy GIRLS ain't you ;?

damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn right :D

Thanks for your valuable contributions to this topic. :?

apologies Hugo. To be fair, SH was contributing and going off topic is something I never do normally, but lay all the blame at my door.

I do remember last time I was in CM how bad the smog was then. And I dont recall seeing a lot of trash burning, but the ring roads and central traffic, especially when at standstill, seemed to be a root cause of the problem.

Even little things, like taxis sitting at side of road with engines idling, could be cut down on. Here in Glasgow, the council introduced on the spot fines if a car was sitting at side of road with engine on. It may seem a small thing, having your engine off for 5 minutes while the missus pops in a shop, but lots of little things can ad up to a big thing...

:)

Thanks for your valuable contributions to this topic. :?

i remember u used to know the term **laugh** hugo, the financial tsunami perhaps??....................

going back "to topic" (TOPA, in my sweet mother tongue again, refers to something *decidedly* more eXciting....) here the situation is reaching rock bottom, the paradox being that the traffic is so bad that some1 like me who needs to be around all day is way better off by scooter and with those terrible emissions from nearly ALL tuk tuks, songtaew & idiotic kids who never change oil to their motorbikes (controls??? hahaha) the 'rose of the north' has turned into a biig joke.... for people with sense of humoUr of course.

for admin: you should have left part of my post icce est the link to "that" cool nightspot which was meant FOR REFERENCE only: it's one of the best place to hung out in nightlife-starved CM & does N0T belong to me or any of my associates!

have F U N will ya!!

time to re-asset mode to my past splendors HAHAHA prrrrrrrrtttt :twisted: