NEED HELP i want to import cars from american into thailand

youngsoiwalker

Question

i want to bring old classic cars into thailand that need to be restored. i understand about the terriffs and i will pay the tax but i need to know what the rules are with old ugly classic cars. also i am looking for a partner who is thai that can be my partner in thailand who will help me speek to the thai goverment about letting the cars in and sombody who can help run my shop in pattay or bangkok.

i want to restore old cars from american in thailand and then put them up for sale. thailand does not have to many old classic cars and i think they would love to have a few ont he road.

some of the cars would be1966 to 68 ford mustangs and 1967 to 1969 chevy camercos.

can sombody help and does anybody want to be my partner. no cash needed to help me just your time and energy..

HELP

7 answers to this question

Interesting post... My nickname 'Vince' comes from a TV show in the UK about about a guy who used to buy and sell cars... I got it when I was about 15 as that was when I boght my first car, I couldn't drive it but I didn't care.. I sold it and bought another.. and went from there.... I used to drive them up and down our drive, until I was old enough to take them out on the street...(although truth be known, I did used to take them out when the folks weren't around! :lol: )

I've been here for nigh on 10 years, and read up on cars on the net still and buy the secondhand cars papers etc... I like to keep my hand in, even I still know what's cooking in the UK market... I have often thought I'd like to buy nd import something myself, but never gotten round to it. I ride a motorbike here as its a traffic beater.

There is a shortage of classics. There is a reaonable demand for them. There is also (definenately) a lack of understanding of what's worth money.. what I mean by that is that there will no doubt be many cars that are cheap there, but will sell at high prices here.... I'l be honest with ya, I don't profess to know the US classics that much, but sure there money to be made in it. I haven't got the investment, but I know what would work here.... and would be interested to tlk more with you, where are you based at present? Please tell me more, I'll have to cut it short here as I am due at a friends wedding and time's catching up on me. Post me a reply to my profile and we can discuss more if you like. Look forward to it.

Vince

(My mobile here is 070008998)

I think Thai ppl maybe interested in classic cars..

But as far as I know..Malaysia is also interested in classic cars...and there is a special discounted rate for classic cars for their road taxes.

Yep same in Uk . classic cars owners pay no tax if the car is old enough .

One misgiving i got about classic cars in south east asia is the climate.It must be rust paradise for non galvanised cars ? :?

i was interested in importing an old triumph (or BSA) trident when i eventually move to thailand after i have finished working in saudi. that was until i found out the import duty on second hand bikes (cars also). i think this would be a killer for your idea. LOTS of import duty cos the thai government are all about graft and corruption and they can make a lot of money from new car companies that want to sell their vehicles in thailand. so they certainly won't be interested in some second hand importing business unless there was a lot of money in it for them 8) :lol: :shock:

I agree with Johnno, although it is a lot easier for a motorcycle, you can disassemble it into smaller parts and ship those as parts, in seperate crates. No taxes or inspection, just grease some palms to register and insure it. As for the cars, there may be some interest, but American muscle cars dont have the world wide appeal as do classic British and Italian cars (I wonder why..lol). Good luck, and I think you must have read the book All Soul's Day for Inspiration, a novel that involves the importing of Some old classic 50's Buicks into Thailand, and using them for VIP limo service, weddings etc.