Brazil abortion case

Admin_2

Pretty sickening, especially considering the amount of power and control the Catholic Church commands in Brazil.

"The Brazilian health minister has accused the nation's Catholic Church of an "extreme" move after it opposed an abortion for a nine-year-old girl reportedly raped and made pregnant by her stepfather.

Jose Gomes Temporao said on Thursday he was "shocked" by the church's "radical" position, saying it wrongly put the young girl's life in danger.

Temporao's comments came after Jose Cardoso Sobrinho, an archbishop in the northeastern city of Recife where the girl is from, said the girl's mother, doctors and others involved in the abortion decision would be excommunicated from the church.

"The law of God is above any human law," the archbishop told the Globo newspaper on Thursday.

Abortion is illegal in Brazil, a strongly Catholic nation, although exceptions are allowed in cases of rape and when the mother's life could be endangered.

Girl 'in danger'

Doctors said the girl was 15 weeks pregnant with twins when the abortion was

performed.

Health officials said the girl's life had been in danger.

"As doctors, we could not allow a girl of nine to suffer like this or until she paid with her own life," Olimpio Moraes, one of the doctors involved in the abortion, told the Reuters news agency.

The pregnancy was discovered last week when the girl complained of pain and was taken to a clinic.

Police said the her stepfather had been arrested and had admitted sexually abusing the girl from the age of six, local news websites reported.

Abortion remains a contentious issue in Latin America, and debate in Brazil over the controversy grew after a second young girl, aged 11, was revealed to have become pregnant following alleged sexual abuse by adoptive father, although she is expected to keep the baby."

"The law of God is above any human law,"

F**k that. (pardon my English)

I don't know about you but I'm getting upset when I read the news.Sorry.

eww..did you handshake ciaran recently ! ? :lol:

Did I just say the F-word? I'm shocked!!

I must forgot to take my medicins this morning.

I don't know about you but I'm getting upset when I read the news.Sorry.

eww..did you handshake ciaran recently ! ? :lol:

Did I just say the F-word? I'm shocked!!

I must forgot to take my medicins this morning.

I think CocoaBrotha may have taken them. I think he needed them yesterday more than anyone.

But seriously, this is where this whole religion story gets taken too far. It's one thing to believe in a book where a guy turns water into wine (that's pretty damn cool), but when it becomes matters of this caliber, the common sense police need to step in.

But seriously, this is where this whole religion story gets taken too far. It's one thing to believe in a book where a guy turns water into wine (that's pretty damn cool), but when it becomes matters of this caliber, the common sense police need to step in.

u won't often see common sense and blind faith in the same sentence !!!

although if u read this post u just have !!!!

(excuse the following attack of Ciaranitits)

F**king bast*rd Catholic church - it's the f**king 21st century not the f**king 15th century. The sooner some bas**rd does prove there is no God or that Jesus was merely human then the sooner we can get shot of this bunch of oppresive fascist f**ker scum.

f**k the pope

(and b4 Ciaran or Stevie jump in, no I aint an orange prod)

:wink:

15 weeks pregnant and abortion??? Oh my...

Early second trimester abortions isn't too "oh my godish." Happens pretty often. It's the third trimester where it starts to turn pretty horrible...borderline murder imo.

Well, if the third trimester.. I think that should be called early labour (or something along thos line) instead of abortion...

Sounded like french to me.

And you love the French dont you? :wink:

I love french crepes!

Rob,Crepe is french by definition.And GOD yes crepes are good.I love the nutella one!!!!!!

Not sure if all Bretons would agree with you there as they are fiercely proud of their Celtic/Romano-British roots...

And definitely a better lot than the rest of the French... :wink:

YAOUNDE (Reuters) - Pope Benedict on Tuesday reaffirmed the Roman Catholic Church's opposition to the use of condoms in the fight against AIDS as he started a visit to Africa, where more than 25 million people have died from the disease in recent decades.

The Pope, who arrived to a tumultuous welcome in the capital of Cameroon, also said the continent's people were suffering disproportionately due to the global challenges of food shortages, financial crises and climate change.

"It (AIDS) cannot be overcome by the distribution of condoms. On the contrary, they increase the problem," he said in response to a question about the Church's widely contested position against the use of condoms.

The disease has killed more than 25 million people since the early 1980s, mostly in sub-Saharan Africa, and some 22.5 million Africans are living with HIV.

His words were some of his most explicit on the use of condoms to stop the spread of AIDS since his election in 2005.

The Church teaches that fidelity within heterosexual marriage, chastity and abstinence are the best ways to stop AIDS. It does not approve condoms but some Church leaders have been calling for allowing their use in rare cases between married heterosexual couples where one partner has the disease.

"The only solution is two-fold: the first is a humanisation of sexuality, a human, spiritual renewal which brings with it a new way of behaving among people and, secondly, a true friendship, especially for those who are suffering, a willingness to make personal sacrifices," he said.

He called for "correct behaviour regarding one's body."

:evil:

C'mon chaps and chapettes, we should rejoice at stories like that. No atheist ranting on any 'ternet forum could ever do as much damage to organised religion (and catholicism in particular) as those delusional, soutane-frocked child molesters do themselves. We ought to encourage them to share their 'pearls of wisdom' with the public more often for all to see just how far removed they really are from reason or morals.

Just one lil' problem in the light of these 2 stories...I can't eat as much as I want to chunder... :puke_right: :puke_right: :puke_right: :puke_right: :puke_right:

F**king bast*rd Catholic church - it's the f**king 21st century not the f**king 15th century. The sooner some bas**rd does prove there is no God or that Jesus was merely human then the sooner we can get shot of this bunch of oppresive fascist f**ker scum.

f**k the pope

i don't think u will get me (or Stevie) sticking up for the catholic church !!

even if we both think u r a closet hun and soap dodger !!!!

f**k the pope

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

DON'T EVER F**KING CALL ME A F**KING CLOSET F**KING HUN EVER AGAIN OR THE F**KING GLASGOW YAKUZA WILL BE PAYING YOU A F**KING VISIT!!

:lol:

f**k the pope

I feel that statement is lacking in something...another ******* may do the trick...

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

DON'T EVER F**KING CALL ME A F**KING CLOSET F**KING HUN EVER AGAIN OR THE F**KING GLASGOW YAKUZA WILL BE PAYING YOU A F**KING VISIT!!

:lol:

I feel this statement is lacking in substance...Another ******* may do the trick... :D