3 Asiana Airlines

4 Qatar Airways

5 Emirates

6 Qantas

7 Etihad Airways

8 Air New Zealand

9 Malaysia Airlines

10 Thai Airways

And Bangkok Airways won the 2009 award as the Best Regional Airline Asia.

anything but an American airline will do. I like ANA and Cathay Pacific.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

African airways where flying is always an adventure!

Lina Congo, TAAG (Angola) and Air Gabon - all unforgettable, and not in a good way ....

But the worst ever was on an Air Kazakhstan IL-76 from Almaty to BKK - a sheet of plywood separating the passengers from the flight deck and alarms sounding-off for the whole 6 hour flight..... :puke_right:

Check out the video of a fully laden IL-76 struggling to take off. The commentary is hilarious!

Worst I'd ever flown was asmallMexican Airline from Mexico cty to a small City port so sign on a ship in 1972 - it was an old Donald Duck - DC3 from WW2

Best ever flown a couple of time from Copenhagen to SIngapore and CPH to Sidney in 1982 and 1983

In the 21st century: Worst KLM/Air France to Thailand, and not the best but a good one SAS=Scandinavian Airline System to BKK non-stop

Doesn't matter what airline U use, because U get what U pay for

Monkey-class, U survive even 13 hrs nonstop in air

Monkeyclass extra better seat(8 cm wider) - more leglength (10cm) and survive

Business Low for those Airlines who have both 2 classes of Business Class, Seat as Monky extra - but better food and drinks while waiting and gen better service

Business class - First class, well You make a huge grab into Your wallet for the fare.

So it all depend on how much You pay in fare - the more Youpay the better service; seats and meals You will get

• 1 month later...

Just saw the latest airport ranking from Skytrax:

TOP AIRPORTS 2009 (2008):

1. Seoul Incheon (3)

2. Hong Kong (1)

3. Singapore Changi (2)

4. Zurich (8 )

5. Munich (5)

6. Kansai (6)

7. Kuala Lumpur (4)

8. Amsterdam (11)

9. Centrair Nagoya (12)

10. Auckland (20)

More than 8.6 million passengers from over 95 nationalities around the world took part in the 10 month Skytrax survey of 196 airports. The world's premier airport survey measures more than 35 elements of the airport experience, determining how well each airport performs against their customers expectations.

Searching for Bangkok I didn't find it at the category "Shopping" but at "Best Airport Dining":

1. Hong Kong

2. Singapore

3. Bangkok

For more categories click here:

:arrow: http://www.worldairportawards.com/Awards_2009/Categories.htm :!:

:)

And searching for a thai opinion I found a commentary from 2008 which still could hit the nail:

COMMENTARY (Friday August 29, 2008)

Skytrax sees Thailand slipping

BOONSONG KOSITCHOTETHANA

The latest results of an independent global survey of airlines and airports which involved 15 million travellers reflect disappointingly on Thailand's two key players - Thai Airways International (THAI) and Suvarnabhumi Airport.

THAI has dropped in the latest rankings of the world's preferred carriers in 2008, slipping from second place last year to fourth, and falling further behind repeated winner Singapore Airlines.

Our national carrier was overtaken by Cathay Pacific, which moved up to second place in the Skytrax survey from third last year, while Qantas moved up to rank third from its previous fifth.

The rankings of others in the 2008 top-ten list, with last year's ratings in brackets, include: 5 Asiana Airlines (12), 6 Malaysia Airlines (6), 7 Qatar Airways (4), 8 Air New Zealand (7), 9 Emirates (9) and 10 Etihad Airways (23).

Meanwhile, Suvarnabhumi Airport remained unmentioned in Skytrax's top-ten best airports list, with competing airports like Hong Kong International Airport, Singapore's Changi Airport and Kuala Lumpur International continuing to retain their top-end rankings in the 2008 ratings.

Hong Kong continues at the top as the world's best airport, while Singapore remains firmly in second position. Seoul's Incheon International Airport was third, down from second rank last year (which it shared with Singapore), while Kuala Lumpur moved up to fourth from fifth position last year.

Other top airports in the 2008 top-ten ratings, with last year's positions in brackets, are: 5 Munich (4), 6 Kansai (9), 7 Copenhagen (11), 8 Zurich (6), 9 Helsinki (12) and 10 Cape Town (13).

The only consolation we can find from the latest rating is that Bangkok Airways continues to be Asia's best regional airline, for the fifth consecutive year.

The latest Skytrax ranking should particularly sound the alarm for THAI as it indicates a downgrade in services and quality as perceived by international travellers, while its rivals were either maintaining or improving their performance to impress travellers.

It sends a clear message to THAI's management and its 26,000 employees of the need to shape up or lose out in the highly competitive world of aviation business.

THAI should not take comfort in the knowledge that it remains in the 2008 top-ten rankings, but should take its slide as a warning to resolutely do better, with a concerted effort and revived aspirations to bring back the glory days when it enjoyed a reputation as one of the world's most admired carriers.

In order to achieve that, the powers that be at THAI need to work earnestly and sincerely to tackle chronic issues that have plagued the 48-year-old airline, such as mismanagement, internal conflict, the feeling of growing mistrust within the airline and eroding professionalism.

Obviously there is still a lot more work to be done at the gleaming Suvarnabhumi, which despite its advantage as one of the world's newest airports, continues to attract harsh criticism from international passengers since its inception in 2006.

Bangkok's new gateway airport remains a three-star airport, being defined as "fair" in the 2008 Skytrax rating, compared to five-star marks (excellent) achieved by Hong Kong, Singapore's Changi and Seoul's Incheon, and four-star (good) Kuala Lumpur.

There has been some effort to improve the overall quality standard at Suvarnabhumi over the past year. But the results have not really been seen or appreciated by many international travellers.

From the recent survey reviews posted by passengers, it becomes clear that numerous problematic issues remain largely unresolved.

One traveller wrote: "Just about everything that can be wrong is wrong! Horrendous Immigration lines (inbound and outbound) - average time over 40 minutes while Thai passport desks are manned but devoid of passengers after 5/6 minutes.

"What should have been Thailand's showpiece has turned into a laughing stock, with corruption and touts everywhere. I have used this airport 10/12 times in the past year and I still see no sign or hope of improvement."

Some of the criticisms are indeed harsh, but they point out time and again the flaws which the Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT) and parties involved have not really attended to as promised.

Both THAI and the AOT need to listen to and read what international travellers say and write about them, and react to the views with prompt and necessary action. :lol: These organisations are in the front line as to how the world views us.

Boonsong Kositchotethana is Deputy Assignment Editor (Business), Bangkok Post.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/290808_News/29Aug2008_news21.php

:?

I've always heard great things about Cathay, but have never flown them for some reason.

Are they more expensive or something? Do they not have good Asia to Europe or Asia to USA flights?

They're pretty good .... see my earlier comment, but as far as I know you always fly to HKG first and then to BKK or MNL or any destination in Asia that they serve ...... there are no direct flights from Europe. Now they have a promotion of ? 760 (all incl.) from Brussels, BRU-LHR-BKK.

I have already a better deal with Qantas for the same route ? 640, booked and paid already for October - November.

The trouble is with a lot of these promo-tickets, like Singapore Airlines, that you can only stay 1 month (sometimes 45 days) at your destination.

It's very expensive to get a flight from Chicago on any of the airlines listed in the top 10.

My ranking based on overall service flying to Bangkok:

ANA

Thai

JAL

United

American

United and American are pretty much on par, but I get better seating on United.

Just get me to Point B in one piece and relatively on time, and I'm a very pleased traveler. Also, keep the smelly people away from me if that is possible.

I agree with you on that. What I look at is the price? Why pay ? 1000 instead of ? 600. Just because the FA are younger and prettier? Sometimes the quality of food, service .... differs from one flight to another with the same airline.

I flew Bangkok Airways direct to Samui from HKG this month and the in-flight meal was by far the best I have eaten that I can remember, return trip too.

They sure do know how to charge though, I hope there can be a bit more competition on that route at somepoint in the future...

Just get me to Point B in one piece and relatively on time, and I'm a very pleased traveler. Also, keep the smelly people away from me if that is possible.

That is the absolute worst if you have to sit next to a smelly. They should have some sort of standard that people have to pass before boarding.

That is the absolute worst if you have to sit next to a smelly. They should have some sort of standard that people have to pass before boarding.

- smelly people

- exceedingly overweight trying to fit in economy seat

- crying babies

Once, I sat next to a cheap ass lady who was so fat she harder fitted in a small economy seat, yet her arm taken up space into mine. The flight was full, i could not be relocated, stuck for over 10 hours. Worst air travel experience ever.

Nothing against overweight people in general whatsoever, The airlines regulation said you must purchase an extra seat including your own if you you are physically over weight for the seat. Not sure how people get away with this common senseless.

In this day and age you would think that they could make 2 to 3 seats wider somewhere in the (Economy)(Cattle Class) section to accomodate the larger person, but then the larger person would not have to upgrade to business class to get a bigger seat would they? (And pay extra) (And no I am not a cynic) :lol::lol: (And I am not a larger person)

Not much you can do about the "smelly" person the flight has to end sometime!!!! :lol::lol::lol: