Best place for a full English

AndyGarmin

Question

Following on from PeeMarc's sausage thread, wheres the best place in Bangkok for a proper full English breakfast. You know the one, big oval plate, two thick cut rashers, couple of fried eggs sunny side up of course, good Lincolnshire sausage, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, black pudding and fried bread to mop up with.

Oh, and a big mug of Yorkshire tea.

:D

22 answers to this question

for me, nothing beats cooking up my own english breakfast with lashings of toast and the works, (i do miss my mums fried bread made with roast dripping) especially if a mate has stayed over at the house after too much drink the night before.

My next personal choice would be the Dubliner on sukhumvit near soi 22. There they have whats ominously dubbed 'The Fry' (yes with black pudding included), and if you can finish it all, youre a hero.

American breakfast is bacon and eggs with a side of pancakes. No comparison to a full English.

For the black pudding virgins out there. It is a section of pigs intestine, filled with a mixture of diced pig fat, cereals, seasoning, and pigs blood. Boiled until set, sliced and then fried with the bacon and sausages. Guaranteed to stop you feeling the cold in the midst of winter.

Our American cousins don't have a clue when it comes to a proper breakfast.

a section of pigs intestine, filled with a mixture of diced pig fat, cereals, seasoning, and pigs blood. Boiled until set, sliced and then fried with the bacon and sausages.

That sounds horrid...far from what I would call proper at all!

I think I ate something like that last time I went to Isarn...almost had me puking over my som tum!

for me, nothing beats cooking up my own english breakfast with lashings of toast and the works, (i do miss my mums fried bread made with roast dripping) especially if a mate has stayed over at the house after too much drink the night before.

My next personal choice would be the Dubliner on sukhumvit near soi 22. There they have whats ominously dubbed 'The Fry' (yes with black pudding included), and if you can finish it all, youre a hero.

My mate told me that a portion of food served at Dubliner is massive, you can hardly finish it.

Anyway, you may wanna try one at Molly Malone's though :roll:

American breakfast is bacon and eggs with a side of pancakes. No comparison to a full English.

For the black pudding virgins out there. It is a section of pigs intestine, filled with a mixture of diced pig fat, cereals, seasoning, and pigs blood. Boiled until set, sliced and then fried with the bacon and sausages. Guaranteed to stop you feeling the cold in the midst of winter.

Our American cousins don't have a clue when it comes to a proper breakfast.

Now you have started a war well worthy of donning coloured/colored t-shirts :wink:

Forgive my ignorance here:), but are there differences between English and American Breakfast beside where the ingredients are from?

difference is type bread, black pudding. Side dishes are regional even on the US. IN the south you get grits. Up north in the US they don't know what a grit is. And the only confusion in the US is what might be caused by too many items on the menu.

Forgive my ignorance here:), but are there differences between English and American Breakfast beside where the ingredients are from?
american breakfast is confused. English breakfast is not.

My mom is a Brit and dad is a Southern Yank... our breakfasts were always confused... Beans and toast with bangers with grits!! Good stuff!!!

My mate told me that a portion of food served at Dubliner is massive, you can hardly finish it.

tried Mollys many times and its ok. But i still say Dubliner is the best, even though massive.

The ribeye steak, at TB750, is also a huge meal, but damn good too and one of the best in town IM0.

Theyre doing something right there coz they never seem to drop their standards.

My mom is a Brit and dad is a Southern Yank... !

now what in the hell is a southern yank? the only thing i can think of is a yankee transplanted in the south... or a hillbilly hand job.... a southern yank... blasphemous. :shock:

Actually that's the term my mom came up with... it's one of the few things she called him that didn't have the word bastard on the end....

Thanks Cherie, I'll probably try both places when I'm next over. Though it's not the size of the meal that matters, it's the quality of the ingredients.

Regads

tried Mollys many times and its ok. But i still say Dubliner is the best, even though massive.

The ribeye steak, at TB750, is also a huge meal, but damn good too and one of the best in town IM0.

Theyre doing something right there coz they never seem to drop their standards.

yep .... full dubliner breakfast takes some eating !!

who ever thinks the English created the big breakfast is probably....... well, English. And they probably think baked beans is delicacy (sorry i did not go through WWII)

still a good topic, in my opinion. Dubliner or MM have good breakfast. for 299 Baht, its not hard to get value.

True Cafe in Exchange tower (and for me after morning work out is great) and they have scrambled egges toast bacon and the fried tomatoe and something they call salad, but for 120 baht it is interesting for a regular stop.

i miss the New York breakfast with hash browns, eggs scrambled, bacon, and where coffee regular means they give you half and half. and the coffee is all you can drink.

who ever thinks the English created the big breakfast is probably....... well, English. And they probably think baked beans is delicacy (sorry i did not go through WWII)

still a good topic, in my opinion. Dubliner or MM have good breakfast. for 299 Baht, its not hard to get value.

True Cafe in Exchange tower (and for me after morning work out is great) and they have scrambled egges toast bacon and the fried tomatoe and something they call salad, but for 120 baht it is interesting for a regular stop.

i miss the New York breakfast with hash browns, eggs scrambled, bacon, and where coffee regular means they give you half and half. and the coffee is all you can drink.

very true;

the origins may be twofold-

Brewer's 19th century dictionary of phrase and fable actually called it a 'Scotch Breakfast' (no whisky)

"A substantial breakfast of sundry sorts of good things to eat and drink. The Scotch are famous for their breakfast-tables and tea-fights. No people in the world are more hospitable"

though wtf a 'tea fight' is, I have no idea...

Bacon and eggs was popularised as a meal by Edward Bernays, an Austrian Jew who moved to the US, nephew of Freud and seen as one of the founding fathers of public relations.