B & C questions

SweetieBabie

How do you decide between Burial and Cremation?

In Thailand, most of the practice subject of death here is cremation as in Theravada, Buddhism religious believe in Southeast Asia/ South Asian as India, differs from Mahayana which practice burial ceremony, in Chinese and some Asian cultures.

In Christianity, there is a preference for burial, as in the believe that a body be resurrected on judgment day, and less harmful to the environment. Although it is unscriptural, in modern culture cremation practice is increasing in popularity opposed to burial...since it's much cheaper.

Question is : Which one is best for you and How / Where would your body / ash be rested? In beloved Thailand or back to your home country or else where? (vice versa to Thais who live abroad.)

In Thailand, most of the practice subject of death here is cremation as in Theravada, Buddhism religious believe in Southeast Asia/ South Asian as India, differs from Mahayana which practice burial ceremony, in Chinese and some Asian cultures.

In Christianity, there is a preference for burial, as in the believe that a body be resurrected on judgment day, and less harmful to the environment. Although it is unscriptural, in modern culture cremation practice is increasing in popularity opposed to burial...since it's much cheaper.

Question is : Which one is best for you and How / Where would your body / ash be rested? In beloved Thailand or back to your home country or else where? (vice versa to Thais who live abroad.)

I would want to be cremated as I don't like the idea of worms and maggots eating me after I'm gone.

I would have my ashes spread along the Charles River where I grew up and skipped rocks with my family.

Denmark is one of those Christian countries but they cremate bodies also.

For me, I donated my body to science. I hope someone could use my kidneys and my eyes after I die.

I have a deposit paid with a cryogenics firm, just in case progress in the future offers solutions. You get a 100 years with principal package, but can add blocks of 50 years to that for extra cost.

no 4 realz

r u serious

thats kinda cool

im down for that

i was gonna take make ashes put it with some rice and flour and my special spores

grow a serious batch of shrooms

or just feed me to the sharks

but i didnt kno u could deposit down on a freezer account

cheaper just to get thrown in a deep freezer in the garage right?

hey keep the beers cold

I have a deposit paid with a cryogenics firm, just in case progress in the future offers solutions. You get a 100 years with principal package, but can add blocks of 50 years to that for extra cost.

no 4 realz

r u serious

thats kinda cool

im down for that

i was gonna take make ashes put it with some rice and flour and my special spores

hey keep the beers cold

No, wasn't serious. The whole cryogenics/cryonics debate is really a zero argument. Even should there be progress in centuries to come, the likelihood is that there would be a very precise procedure to follow in order to have some chance and, given that much of the cryonics field is speculation and guesswork, the likelihood that these 'scientists' have got it right is miniscule.

No, I plan on making things as awkward as possible for my family, with precise demands for funeral music, a Vikings style boat cremation, and the scattering of my ashes in various diverse geographical locations!!!

:)

no 4 realz

r u serious

thats kinda cool

im down for that

hey keep the beers cold

No, wasn't serious. The whole cryogenics/cryonics debate is really a zero argument. Even should there be progress in centuries to come, the likelihood is that there would be a very precise procedure to follow in order to have some chance and, given that much of the cryonics field is speculation and guesswork, the likelihood that these 'scientists' have got it right is miniscule.

No, I plan on making things as awkward as possible for my family, with precise demands for funeral music, a Vikings style boat cremation, and the scattering of my ashes in various diverse geographical locations!!!

:)

there is the third option of frozening your body until future science can bring your back to life.

Way too futuristic :lol:

Not futuristic enough. Freezing shreds cells and their delicate contents, and there's little chance the company taking your money would be around long enough anyway.

To be a little more futuristic: Try to live as healthily as possible for the next 20 years. By that time nanotechnology, genetics, and computer technology will be able to provide many different paths to immortality. You can get age related degeneration reversed or even upload your mind into a virtual reality or an android body.

Sounds better than cremation to me.

there is the third option of frozening your body until future science can bring your back to life.

Not futuristic enough. Freezing shreds cells and their delicate contents, and there's little chance the company taking your money would be around long enough anyway.

To be a little more futuristic: Try to live as healthily as possible for the next 20 years. By that time nanotechnology, genetics, and computer technology will be able to provide many different paths to immortality. You can get age related degeneration reversed or even upload your mind into a virtual reality or an android body.

You have hit the nail on the head vis a vis cryonics; no matter the idea that the companies may not last till (if) the technology in medicine ever progresses to a stage that makes cryonics viable, the idea that these speculative technicians may have got the freezing process correct is about as likely as winning the lottery 6 weeks running.

I would be hesitant on the nanotechnology progress however. This whole grey goo scenario frightens the bejasus out of me!!

I would be hesitant on the nanotechnology progress however. This whole grey goo scenarion frightens the bejasus out of me!!

The grey goo scenario is a valid concern. But there's money to be made from nano, money and weapons. So you can bet it's gonna happen and soon.

You have hit the nail on the head vis a vis cryonics; no matter the idea that the companies may not last till (if) the technology in medicine ever progresses to a stage that makes cryonics viable, the idea that these speculative technicians may have got the freezing process correct is about as likely as winning the lottery 6 weeks running.

I would be hesitant on the nanotechnology progress however. This whole grey goo scenario frightens the bejasus out of me!!

Are we talking about this >>>

ibiobanks_0323.jpg

Now that major banks in the U.S. are getting by on a government bailout, the idea of creating yet another repository to safeguard your most valuable assets might seem downright ludicrous. And even irresponsible. But that's exactly what some federal officials are hoping to do.

Relax ? it's not your money they're after. It's your blood. Folks at the National Cancer Institute (NCI) are heading up an effort to establish the U.S.'s first national biobank ? a safe house for tissue samples, tumor cells, DNA and, yes, even blood ? that would be used for research into new treatments for diseases.

Think of it as an organic bank account. You put your biomaterial in and earn medical interest in the form of knowledge and therapies that grow out of that deposit ? no monetary reward, just the potential that you might benefit from the accumulated data at some later date. (Sorry, no shiny new toaster to inspire you to open up such an account either ? just an appeal to the greater medical good.) Britain, Canada, Norway and Sweden have already begun building up their national biobanks. And the residents of Iceland, though the country is bankrupt, still have their biological assets tucked safely away; more than 60% of adults in the island nation have donated DNA to deCODE Genetics, the company that runs the bank. The U.S. effort currently lies in the NCI's Office of Biorepositories and Biospecimen Research (OBBR). By fall, the group hopes to have mapped out a plan for a national biobank; the recent stimulus showered on the government by the Obama Administration might even accelerate that timetable.

Why the NCI? Cancer, it turns out, is a smart place to start with a biobank. Already, dozens of genes have been linked to cancers ? BRCA 1 and 2, which are behind 5% to 10% of breast cancers ? and gene proteins like prostate-specific antigen, which signals a potentially abnormally growing prostate gland. Many cancer hospitals have been collecting and storing tissue samples for decades.

Imagine the power of those thousands of samples writ 100,000 or even millions of times larger, over not just cancer but any disease, ranging from brain disorders like Alzheimer's to metabolic conditions like diabetes. With enough tissue samples from both affected and unaffected people, researchers can pick out gene profiles that haunt the DNA of those who get sick, then start to screen and treat these individuals and others like them more aggressively. "Biobanks will transform the way we see disease developing," says Dr. Carolyn Compton, director of the OBBR.

It will certainly change what you leave behind each time you visit the doctor. The key to a powerful national biobank is high-quality specimens from as wide a swath of the country's population as possible. And both doctors and patients are beginning to warm to the idea of collecting DNA and tissue samples as a part of routine examinations.

The challenge, of course, is to maintain the privacy of account holders and ensure that access is limited to medical personnel and those who have the individual's consent. Coding each specimen and setting up layers of password-protected data sets might be one way to accomplish this.

Sounds easy, but will it work? That all depends on how comfortable people can get with sharing their DNA. "Having all of your DNA out there where organizations or governmental institutions have access to it makes people nervous," says Dr. Randall Burt of Huntsman Cancer Institute in Utah. The medical incentives are certainly great ? scientists- are convinced that only by mining the riches of the human genome will we uncover the next generation of treatments for disease. And maybe those toasters couldn't hurt either.

Source: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1884779_1884782_1884766,00.html

Are we talking about this >>>

ibiobanks_0323.jpg

Now that major banks in the U.S. are getting by on a government bailout, the idea of creating yet another repository to safeguard your most valuable assets might seem downright ludicrous. And even irresponsible. But that's exactly what some federal officials are hoping to do.

Relax ? it's not your money they're after. It's your blood. Folks at the National Cancer Institute (NCI) are heading up an effort to establish the U.S.'s first national biobank ? a safe house for tissue samples, tumor cells, DNA and, yes, even blood ? that would be used for research into new treatments for diseases.

Think of it as an organic bank account. You put your biomaterial in and earn medical interest in the form of knowledge and therapies that grow out of that deposit ? no monetary reward, just the potential that you might benefit from the accumulated data at some later date. (Sorry, no shiny new toaster to inspire you to open up such an account either ? just an appeal to the greater medical good.) Britain, Canada, Norway and Sweden have already begun building up their national biobanks. And the residents of Iceland, though the country is bankrupt, still have their biological assets tucked safely away; more than 60% of adults in the island nation have donated DNA to deCODE Genetics, the company that runs the bank. The U.S. effort currently lies in the NCI's Office of Biorepositories and Biospecimen Research (OBBR). By fall, the group hopes to have mapped out a plan for a national biobank; the recent stimulus showered on the government by the Obama Administration might even accelerate that timetable.

Why the NCI? Cancer, it turns out, is a smart place to start with a biobank. Already, dozens of genes have been linked to cancers ? BRCA 1 and 2, which are behind 5% to 10% of breast cancers ? and gene proteins like prostate-specific antigen, which signals a potentially abnormally growing prostate gland. Many cancer hospitals have been collecting and storing tissue samples for decades.

Imagine the power of those thousands of samples writ 100,000 or even millions of times larger, over not just cancer but any disease, ranging from brain disorders like Alzheimer's to metabolic conditions like diabetes. With enough tissue samples from both affected and unaffected people, researchers can pick out gene profiles that haunt the DNA of those who get sick, then start to screen and treat these individuals and others like them more aggressively. "Biobanks will transform the way we see disease developing," says Dr. Carolyn Compton, director of the OBBR.

It will certainly change what you leave behind each time you visit the doctor. The key to a powerful national biobank is high-quality specimens from as wide a swath of the country's population as possible. And both doctors and patients are beginning to warm to the idea of collecting DNA and tissue samples as a part of routine examinations.

The challenge, of course, is to maintain the privacy of account holders and ensure that access is limited to medical personnel and those who have the individual's consent. Coding each specimen and setting up layers of password-protected data sets might be one way to accomplish this.

Sounds easy, but will it work? That all depends on how comfortable people can get with sharing their DNA. "Having all of your DNA out there where organizations or governmental institutions have access to it makes people nervous," says Dr. Randall Burt of Huntsman Cancer Institute in Utah. The medical incentives are certainly great ? scientists- are convinced that only by mining the riches of the human genome will we uncover the next generation of treatments for disease. And maybe those toasters couldn't hurt either.

Source: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1884779_1884782_1884766,00.html

Not really; the use of biobanks and the storing of blood and genetic material is a pretty damn valid science. Given the advances in many areas of genetics, it may be possible to reintroduce your own genetic material into your body but with additions to cure certain conditions.

Cryonics still has one foot firmly in the realms of science fiction while nanotechnology has hit brick walls in certain areas and, given the grey goo hypotheses, may not be such a bad thing.

nanotechnology has hit brick walls in certain areas and, given the grey goo hypotheses, may not be such a bad thing.

I wouldn't be too sure about brick walls...

http://www.nanotechproject.org/news/archive/6697/

"New Nanotech Products Hitting the Market at the Rate of 3-4 Per Week

The number of consumer products using nanotechnology has grown from 212 to 609 since PEN launched the world?s first online inventory of manufacturer-identified nanotech goods in March 2006."

But the really powerful nanotech is still in the labs.

nanotechnology has hit brick walls in certain areas and, given the grey goo hypotheses, may not be such a bad thing.

I wouldn't be too sure about brick walls...

http://www.nanotechproject.org/news/archive/6697/

"New Nanotech Products Hitting the Market at the Rate of 3-4 Per Week

The number of consumer products using nanotechnology has grown from 212 to 609 since PEN launched the world?s first online inventory of manufacturer-identified nanotech goods in March 2006."

But the really powerful nanotech is still in the labs.

I did say certain[/b areas!!! While substances such as nanoscale silver are becoming more widely used, the perception of nanotech/nanorobots repairing damaged cells etc is still a long way in the future (if they overcome the many problems). Nano particles in whitening toothpaste is hardly on the level of tumour busting nanotech!

I think that it will be a very long time, if ever, before we see naonotechnology that may start giving a wider audience to worries such as the grey goo.