International ''swine flu'' emergency

Count_Jason

**** ... this is looking bad. Heads up!

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Health/Swine+outbreak+international+emergency/1534318/story.html

Swine flu outbreak an ?international emergency?: WHO

By Stephanie Nebehay, Reuters April 25, 2009 6:47 PM

GENEVA ? The World Health Organization ramped up its response to a potential pandemic-level outbreak of swine flu Saturday, calling the new strain ?a public health emergency of international concern.?

After a meeting of WHO?s emergency committee, the UN agency said it was recommending that ?all countries intensify surveillance for unusual outbreaks of influenza-like illness and severe pneumonia.?

"This is clearly an animal strain of the H1N1 virus and it has pandemic potential because it is infecting people," WHO chief Margaret Chan said in a teleconference.

"However, we cannot say on the basis of currently available laboratory, epidemiological and clinical evidence whether or not it will indeed cause a pandemic."

The United Nations health agency has warned for several years that a new virus strain could spark a human influenza pandemic that could sweep around the globe and kill millions.

In the United States, Kansas state health officials confirmed two cases of swine flu there on Saturday, minutes after New York health officials said they had eight probable cases.

Tests have confirmed that eight New York City schoolchildren had a type A influenza virus, likely swine flu, city health commissioner Dr. Thomas Frieden said Saturday.

Samples have been sent to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for further testing to see if they are indeed the unusual H1N1 flu strain that has killed up to 68 people in Mexico and may have sickened others, Frieden told a news conference.

Meanwhile, public health officials in Quebec have told Global News that two people recently quarantined at a Montreal hospital do not have swine flu.

A top aide to Quebec?s health minister refused Saturday afternoon to confirm a report that two sick Montrealers recently returned from Mexico were quarantined at Lakeshore General Hospital. Marie-Eve Bedard, an aide to Health Minister Guy Bolduc, did say that only one person is now involved in the Montreal incident, without offering any other elaboration.

One of the Canadians, a woman, went to Lakeshore hospital Saturday morning when her flu-like symptoms did not improve after returning from Mexico, CTV reported.

The woman was originally from Mexico and travelled to Mexico City to visit family members, some of whom had reported symptoms as well.

According to CTV, hospital officials have no reason to believe the two are suffering from swine flu, but said no chances are being taken with ill people who recently travelled to Mexico.

The new H1N1 flu strain ? a mixture of swine, human and avian flu viruses ? is still poorly understood, and the World Health Organization is holding emergency meetings Saturday to look at assessing pandemic risks.

An emergency committee of experts met with Chan on Saturday but did not take any decisions on the outbreaks after hearing information from the U.S. and Mexican authorities, WHO spokeswoman Sari Setiogi said. She said a statement would be issued later.

The committee could recommend Chan take temporary measures to protect health or change the WHO?s pandemic alert level, currently Level 3 on a scale of one to six.

There were currently no indications of similar outbreaks elsewhere in the world, Chan said.

"It would be prudent for health officials within countries to be alert to outbreaks of influenza-like illness or pneumonia, especially if these occur outside in months outside the usual peak influenza season," added Chan, a former health director of Hong Kong.

Health officials worldwide should also be alert to large incidences of severe or fatal flu-like illness in groups other than young children and the elderly, the ages usually at highest risk from normal seasonal flu, she said.

Most of the dead in Mexico were aged between 25 and 45.

WHO experts have been deployed in Mexico to help health authorities with disease surveillance, laboratory diagnosis and clinical management of cases.

The WHO stood ready with antiviral drugs to combat the outbreaks in Mexico. But authorities have a sizable supply of Tamiflu, known generically as oseltamivir, and made by Switzerland?s Roche Holding, which has proved effective against the new virus, according to the WHO.

"Influenza viruses are notoriously unpredictable and full of surprises, as we are seeing right now," Chan said.

"We need to know how the virus is spread, what is the transmission pattern and whether or not it is going to cause severe disease and in what age group," she said.

It was "too premature at this stage" for the WHO to announce any travel advisories, as better analysis of the cases and other clinical data was required, Chan said. But the agency?s experts would address the issue of travel advisories.

"We do not yet have a complete picture of the epidemiology or the risk, including possible spread beyond the currently affected areas," Chan said.

"Nonetheless, in the assessment of WHO, this is a serious situation which must be watched very closely."

It was also too soon for the UN agency to advise drugmakers to switch to producing a new vaccine ? to be derived from the new virus ? from their traditional production of seasonal influenza vaccines, she said.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "We don't know how serious it is so we're not doing much for now" attitude is what scares me the most....

Oh ... they're doing everything under the Sun. This is a full-blown emergency. It's all over the news online but slower coming through on TV.

Well, what I'm trying to say is this has been going on for a month now so it's probably already way too late to do anything if this is really serious.... I wonder how long they've been trying to keep this quiet.

ok, let's be controversial for just a minute, and sure I will get flamed for this...

but...

there's too many f**kers on the planet...

man has defeated most of nature's 'culling methods',

so is it any surprise these flu variants keep coming up.

while in principle I don't like the idea of people dying, it has to be considered the whole people vs resources battle. And remember the renaissance may never have had the impact it did, or been as progressive, if plague hadn't wiped out around 50% of Europe's population.

So, resources are growing scarce, many technologies are at their slowest point of progress in years...maybe we need a bit of a die back in order to move forward...

The "We don't know how serious it is so we're not doing much for now" attitude is what scares me the most....

Oh ... they're doing everything under the Sun. This is a full-blown emergency. It's all over the news online but slower coming through on TV.

Well, what I'm trying to say is this has been going on for a month now so it's probably already way too late to do anything if this is really serious.... I wonder how long they've been trying to keep this quiet.

Well, the ****'s hit the fan now! There's also reports that they don't actually know what it is. The WHO are scheduling an emergency meeting this morning.

Its been on the news for some time and if they put out worldwide warnings everytime someone gets sick from a new disease it would never stop.

Its been on the news for some time and if they put out worldwide warnings everytime someone gets sick from a new disease it would never stop.

I agree up to a point, but I've only heard of this in the last week to be honest....

ok, let's be controversial for just a minute, and sure I will get flamed for this...

but...

while in principle I don't like the idea of people dying, it has to be considered the whole people vs resources battle. And remember the renaissance may never have had the impact it did, or been as progressive, if plague hadn't wiped out around 50% of Europe's population.

So, resources are growing scarce, many technologies are at their slowest point of progress in years...maybe we need a bit of a die back in order to move forward...

I'd raise another possibility in regards to that, but I don't wanna get flamed either. lol

but...

I'd raise another possibility in regards to that, but I don't wanna get flamed either. lol

oh go on; a bit of sunday controversy is nothing to be scared of. After all, I suggested that a pandemic might not be such a bad thing...

:twisted:

I agree up to a point, but I've only heard of this in the last week to be honest....

I'm sure they have their hands full and i see your point. I think they have to make a judgement according to it spreading and have to wait till they have enough info. People will kill to survive if panicked and that defeats the purpose.

but...

oh go on; a bit of sunday controversy is nothing to be scared of. After all, I suggested that a pandemic might not be such a bad thing...

Yea and the bomb was genius too BUt I'd rather finish my story :shock:

but...

l_9e8474b50e8349df8e0acf6cf3a9f805.jpg

but...

what flipping story?? :lol:

but...

Deliberate population reduction.

sounds good to me, but I'm an advocate for resurrecting eugenics anyway...

but...

the story of my life numnut :shock: :P

but...

Hehe. Did you see about all those ''FEMA'' coffins?

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=fema+coffins&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

A pandemic is what they're allegedly meant for.....

but...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

numnut???

now this is why the right always wins; because the left and the liberals factionalise and argue....

SPLITTER!!!!

:lol:

but...

numnut???

now this is why the right always wins; because the left and the liberals factionalise and argue....

SPLITTER!!!!

in your finger :shock: truth is the left is right and the right has left.........

but...

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=fema+coffins&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

What a scurrilous accusation, but nothing less than I would expect of an antipodean underling of the lizard men. If you must know, FEMA has it's roots in the boy scout movement and also have the motto 'be prepared, so they are just being cautious...

:roll:

but...

numnut???

SPLITTER!!!!

in your finger :shock: truth is the left is right and the right has left.........

which is why neo-pagan green anarchy is the way forward...

:?

but...

What a scurrilous accusation, but nothing less than I would expect of an antipodean underling of the lizard men. If you must know, FEMA has it's roots in the boy scout movement and also have the motto 'be prepared, so they are just being cautious...

No, no ... don't pull that one on me, lol.

I meant allegedly as in I don't even know for sure those things are coffins, NOT what you're thinking!!

but...

No, no ... don't pull that one on me, lol.

I meant allegedly as in I don't even know for sure those things are coffins, NOT what you're thinking!!

how could you possibly know what I'm thinking?

Unless you really are a lizard underling and have been monitoring my thought patterns...