To Siem Reap - Preah Khan and Phnom Kulen

I am going to be in Cambodia some time soon. I looking for places to visit in Siem Reap. I have been to the Angkor Wat 3 times already and do not wish to pay another 20 USD just to see the same place.

I am looking to visit Preah Khan and Neak Pean temple, but I am not sure what else is there to visit close by. If you can give recommendation, it'd be great.

Also, I am thinking of visiting Phnom Kulen, but it's now rainy season, I am not sure it'd be possible to do a bit of trekking in such weather to see the 1000 lingas or not.

Will it take up the whole day for each area or I can combine them?

Thanks a lot in advance for your comments. ^_^

• 2 months later...
Also, I am thinking of visiting Phnom Kulen, but it's now rainy season, I am not sure it'd be possible to do a bit of trekking in such weather to see the 1000 lingas or not.

Quite a few women in the world would be more than happy to dragged themselves through a forest of broken glass in a monsoon to see 1000 lingas!

Banteay Srei should be a must-see if you haven't done so yet. Kbal Spean (the thousand lingas place) is a bit further on and they can both be done in one day.

Beng Mealea is a fair bit further but is apparently the real deal if you like some properly overgrown temple (a la Tombraider :wink: ) with clambering and climbing over collapsed walls and along roof tops.

If you have a ride (i.e. not some hired tuk-tuk), you can venture from Beng Mealea further along the old route 66. It'll be hairy this time of the year but this is one of the old Angkorian roads and along it you can still find those massive stone bridges, Nagas and all, build during that period. You'll need a good map though for this.

Have fun! :thumbleft:

Banteay Srei should be a must-see if you haven't done so yet. Kbal Spean (the thousand lingas place) is a bit further on and they can both be done in one day.

Beng Mealea is a fair bit further but is apparently the real deal if you like some properly overgrown temple (a la Tombraider :wink: ) with clambering and climbing over collapsed walls and along roof tops.

If you have a ride (i.e. not some hired tuk-tuk), you can venture from Beng Mealea further along the old route 66. It'll be hairy this time of the year but this is one of the old Angkorian roads and along it you can still find those massive stone bridges, Nagas and all, build during that period. You'll need a good map though for this.

Have fun! :thumbleft:

I can wholeheartedly recommend Bang Melea. Unny and I went there on our last visit to Siem Reap. They have built a walkway above Bang Melea. You walk above it looking down. Maybe I'll throw the pics up on a journal soon. Took some great pics. Even with the walkway, you can still get down and crawl around. Just be careful. And it is HOT AS HELL. Ball sweatin' hot as I like to say. lol

Head out to Battambang. But be prepared to "rough it." No nice hotels there.

God....there are hundreds of places....

When you say Angkor Wat, do you mean that you went to AW only or all of the places around it. Ta Prohm is awesome as well.

Make sure you hit Kbal Spean. But bring water, it's a 30 to 45 minute hike up the mountain to the falls. But it's so worth it.

The only two places to stay in so far as Hotels go are the Hotel de la Paix or the Golden Banana. HDLP is about 200 to 300 bucks a night. GB is 35 to 75 bucks a night. Both places are excellent. GB is a bargain from hell for the money and the staff are welcoming and always helpful. Full of smiles and assistance as is HDLP.

Cambodia is awesome.