Participate in Buddhist Temple Ceremonies  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Participate in Buddhist Temple Ceremonies

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No...

I don't participate, because I don't really believe. It seems hypocritical to perform a ritual that has no meaning (for me).

BTW It's the same for Buddism, Judaism, Islam and Christianity - I don't pray, syng hymns or join in any ceremonies.

During religious funerals and weddings, I bow my head and keep quiet during the prayers, but I'm usually thinking about something else.

No...

I don't participate, because I don't really believe. It seems hypocritical to perform a ritual that has no meaning (for me).

BTW It's the same for Buddism, Judaism, Islam and Christianity - I don't pray, syng hymns or join in any ceremonies.

During religious funerals and weddings, I bow my head and keep quiet during the prayers, but I'm usually thinking about something else.

Right on the spot. Same goes for me. If i would participate it almost feels like I am insulting their "god" because i am not a follower. I'm not a buddhist, so if i would kneel and pray i am "faking" it... So I prefer NOT to participate.

I do bow my head to monks/elder people and try to bend my knees passing monks and show them my respect, but I don't participate in ceremonies.

My respect is sincere, so I give it. But I am not a buddhist so i don't participate.

I think that's also what buddhism is about right?

Ok farang, if you have a Thai gf (or bf) and they urge you to participate in ceremonies at a temple, do you participate or not?

at any (or most) places of worship i'll show respect, but not actually participate.

having said that i did take communion at my brother's wedding (i was best man) and did stand as godfather for his son at his christening. it didn't really mean much to me, but it was important to my brother and his family !!!

Ok farang, if you have a Thai gf (or bf) and they urge you to participate in ceremonies at a temple, do you participate or not?

Any particular reasons why not?

Well. I was raised as a Christian in the States and as I grew older, I grew critical of religion. The more classes I took, the more I saw how religions are the same. My problem comes when people want me to participate in religious-based events. I feel hypocritical when I participate. I have no qualms with hanging around temples or other religious places of worship, but I do have a moral dilemma with participating. When people say 'it's not that bad if someone participates', how do they know? What if by preforming some action, in order to appease someone, you are regulating your soul to a lower level of incarnation, or to a bad afterlife? I don't mind if people are religious or not, it's a personal choice, but when you want someone to willingly participate, and they clearly aren't willing, one shouldn't get upset with them. If you were in another country, and said gf/bf asked you to participate in some religious event, I would hope you would have the strength of your beliefs to say no and not just go with the flow and worry about the consequences.

Since today is a religious holiday, you can show respect to Buddhism by no drinking alcohol for one day ;)

Today is a Christian holy day also. It's great prayer day (Store bededag in Danish).

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

did u just make that up Nicky ?? :D:D:D

Since today is a religious holiday, you can show respect to Buddhism by no drinking alcohol for one day ;)

Today is a Christian holy day also. It's great prayer day (Store bededag in Danish).

No she didn't mate, though is only a 'holy' day in Denmark and the Faroes.

:)

On the way back home from town, l preyed along with Visaka ceremony boardcast on radio..

Once got home, i headed to kitchen open red wine mixed with lemonard making sangria.. , thirsty got me..

ÃÀÑÂÅÙ¡ªéÒ§´éÇ :(

On the way back home from town, l preyed along with Visaka ceremony boardcast on radio..

Once got home, i headed to kitchen open red wine mixed with lemonard making sangria.. , thirsty got me..

Is this the Thai version of 'having your cake and eating it'?

:D

What does that (damn) English eduim mean ja, P' Iain ??

:oops:

No she didn't mate, though is only a 'holy' day in Denmark and the Faroes.

:)

and in Greenland also, I think.

We pray on Store bededag (bede = pray) and we have this kind of bread for lunch, I think.

167280_411_800.jpg

nothing bad Kus my dear. Simply means that you are having it both ways. So you are observing the Buddhist holiday, but are also having a nice glass of sangria. (what happened to the martini?)

nothing bad Kus my dear. Simply means that you are having it both ways. So you are observing the Buddhist holiday, but are also having a nice glass of sangria. (what happened to the martini?)

I didnt think it would mean something bad ja, P' Iain. I put 'damn' in because i frustrated of my poor English.. :?

Martini is still left in fridge, but it could not cure me from the heat of Bangkok.. ja..

I didnt think it would mean something bad ja, P' Iain. I put 'damn' in because i frustrated of my poor English.. :?

Martini is still left in fridge, but it could not cure me from the heat of Bangkok.. ja..

solution is easy; take everything out fridge except martini, then climb in fridge with it. :wink: