Weird news

Admin_2

Why you should always have a child lock on the keyboard....

Toddler accidentally buys $15,600 digger on auction site May 21, 2009 -

Pipi Quinlan, 3, with a toy digger, a fraction of the size and cost of the $20,000 Kobelco digger she won in a Trade Me auction. Three-year-old Pipi Quinlan bought a $NZ20,000 ($A15,600) Kobelco digger on auction website TradeMe, prompting immediate damage control by her mum when her purchase was revealed.

Most parents are used to little ones sneaking treats into the supermarket trolley, but Pipi's deal must take the cake. Parents Sarah and Reid Quinlan, of Stanmore Bay north of Auckland, were astonished to wake one morning to find Pipi had bought the huge excavating digger in a TradeMe auction.

The technically savvy kid had woken early and, with the rest of her family sound asleep, decided to play with the computer. With a few clicks of the mouse she entered Internet Explorer and the Trade Me site her mother had already logged on to.

After a few more timely clicks, she had won the most recent auction listed on the site's homepage. It was for a Kobelco digger, and she had it for $NZ20,000 - money she didn't have in her piggy bank.

"The first I knew about it was when I came down and opened up the computer," says mum Sarah. "I saw an email from TradeMe saying I had won an auction and another email from the seller saying something like 'I think you'll love this digger'." "Well, I had a few Duplo Lego play kits on my watch-list, so just assumed I'd won a digger toy-set," she says.

"It wasn't until I went back and re-read the emails that I saw $NZ20,000, and got the shock of my life," says Sarah. "I called my husband Reid over to make sure I wasn't seeing things. "I asked him what a Kobelco was and he said 'I think it's an earthmoving digger'." "I jokingly said to Sarah, well you'll have to move the Honda off the driveway to make way for the Kobelco," says Reid.

Sarah immediately called TradeMe and the seller to report what had happened.

TradeMe has reimbursed the seller's costs for listing the digger and the auction. While the seller wasn't impressed with Pipi's antics, he relisted the digger again for another auction.

The Quinlans say most people see the funny side, with family and friends already joking about the incident. They've learnt to keep their computer well out of the reach of prying hands, and now have a great story for Pipi's 21st birthday. Perhaps it's a lesson for many parents or childminders to keep a close eye on little ones around computers.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/web/toddlers-auction-surprise/2009/05/21/1242498849208.html

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A New Zealand couple whose bank mistakenly paid 10 million New Zealand dollars (£3,900,000) into their account have taken the money and are now on the run.

Leo Gao and his Australian girlfriend Cara Young, who ran a service station in the tourist city of Rotorua on North Island, had applied to Westpac bank for a $10,000 overdraft.

When a blunder by bank staff credited their account with 1,000 times more than the amount they had asked for, the accidental millionaires appear to have decided to use their sudden wealth to live up to Westpac?s motto: ?Make the most of life?.

Two weeks ago, on May 7, they suddenly shut the doors of the BP Barnett garage on the outskirts of Rotorua and disappeared, leaving only a note saying that the business had gone into receivership.

They are believed to have fled to China or Korea with up to $6 million. Westpac is understood already to have recovered $4 million.

Tania Davies, who owns the next-door business, Zero to 100 Automotive, said that the ?quiet? couple had acted as if it was business as usual one day and disappeared the next.

"Deliveries arrived and just piled up outside the front door. A few people started to help themselves to some newspapers and supplies that were there," Ms Davies said.

"Saturday, Sunday we realised something else was up. They'd done a runner."

BP staff arrived yesterday and removed petrol tanks and equipment from the garage, which is now empty, she said.

Neighbours of the young couple, who live in a town house in Rotorua, said that they had not been seen for two weeks.

Neighbour Chevi Lambert said that a private investigator had recently been knocking on doors asking if anyone had seen the couple, whom she described as ?ordinary?.

Their business, she said, had been going steadily downhill over recent months.

"It's such a big world he could just disappear," she said of Mr Gao.

BP Barnetts is listed as being owned by Huan Di Zhang and Hui Gao who also own a $700,000 house in West Harbour, a smart suburb in Auckland, New Zealand's largest city.

Neighbours there said that the couple had not been seen for two weeks. The service station?s operator, Heights Service Limited, went into receivership earlier this month, the Rotorua Daily Post reported.

Detective Senior Sergeant David Harvey of Rotorua police, who is leading the hunt for Mr Gao and Ms Young, said that an investigation had been started into a substantial sum of money that had been "mistakenly advanced" from Westpac.

Related Links

"The individuals involved in that business account have left New Zealand," he said. Interpol had been called in, he confirmed.

?Westpac Bank has recovered some of the money which has been inappropriately withdrawn from that account," he said.

The investigation was expected to ?take some time?, he added.

He refused to discuss any other details but the Rotorua Review newspaper reported that a New Zealand police liaison officer had been sent to China to search for Mr Gao and Ms Young.

Craig Dowling, media relations manager for Westpac, said that the bank was treating the case as a criminal matter but refused to discuss details because of ongoing court action.

"I can say that Westpac is pursuing vigorous criminal and civil action to recover a sum of money stolen," he said.

Human error was responsible for the couple?s windfall, and the incident had prompted a review of the bank?s procedures, he said.

Liz Brown, New Zealand?s banking ombudsman, said that technically it was a criminal offence for someone to spend money accidentally put into their bank account if they knew that the money was not theirs.

Claire Matthews, a lecturer in banking at Massey University, said that it was doubtful that the newly rich couple would enjoy their millions for long.

"They've taken funds that they're not entitled to, that are not theirs," she told Newstalk ZB.

"They've effectively, I guess, become thieves, but it is only going to be a matter of time."

Visitors try to get a glimpse of "Love Land", billed as China's first-ever sex theme park, in southwest China's Chongqing municipality. The sex theme park is slated to open in October, but detractors hope the project will never see the light of day, as the exhibits of naked human sculptures, giant genitals and boasts a sex technique workshop is stirring up howls of protest.

(AFP)

Just thought I would let you know, they pulled it down today :roll:

Pulled what down? The red thongs.........?

The place looks very bleak. The whole concept of just having a long pair of legs and hips without a torso and head as some kind of welcome 'statue' seems quite sick.

No they closed Love Land and pulled down the large displays at the entrance

Thanks mate, but it was a flimsy attempt at humour on my part. Cheers :)

Bleak looking as it is China after all. :-( Meaning air pollution is horrible everywhere. Anyhow, this is copy of similar thing, with actually same name (!) in Korea.

Police believe a Bakersfield man bit the eyeball out of his son's face and ate it, according to court documents. The 4-year-old's other eye was damaged beyond repair, reports said.

The boy's missing eye could not be located, reports said, and he told a detective, ''Daddy ate my eyes.''

Prosecutors have charged Angelo Vidal Mendoza Sr., 34, with mayhem, torture and child cruelty. He's being held in the downtown jail in lieu of $1 million bail.

Neighbors called police on April 28 and reported they found the child naked and bleeding on the floor of the Mendoza home on Ohio Drive, near Highway 58 and Union Avenue.

Police located the wheel-chair-bound Mendoza at a nearby house, where he had severely injured his own leg, witnesses said, by chopping at it with an ax.

The boy had severe injuries to both eyes and hands, according to a police report. He told officers, ''Daddy bit my eyes and hands.''

''It was determined Mendoza was the only person alone with his son during the time of the assault,'' the police report said.

Hospital staff told detectives the boy's ''left eye and muscle was gone and missing.''

His ''right eye was still in the socket but damaged beyond repair,'' the report said.

The boy ''later made the statement, 'Daddy ate my eyes,''' the report said.

THAI LADY DUPED BY ?BLACK MONEY? SCAM IN PATTAYA

p2.jpg

At 8:00 am on the 21st May 2009 police were summoned by a Thai woman who had detained a foreign man in central Pattaya. She claimed the man had borrowed 500,000 baht and was attempting to cheat her with a ?Black Money? scam.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Tanagrit Lapittisun and his team went to an area near the Carrefour shopping centre in Central Pattaya where they found Miss Nid (alias) and her husband who were holding a 37-year-old Cameroon national, Mr. Frank Nya (37).

Mr. Nya had a black suitcase which contained many bank note sized black paper sheets together with some white cotton and white powder which Mr. Nya had claimed he used to change the black paper into real bank notes. Mr. Frank Nya was also carrying a shoulder bag containing his clothes.

Miss Nid told the police that she had previously met Mr. Frank Nya in Konkaen province. He had told her that he had run away from the war in his country to live in Pattaya. She claimed he had borrowed 500,000 baht from her assuring her he had the means to make fake bank notes. He told her the items he needed to do this were being held at the American embassy in Bangkok and he promised he would pay her back double [over one million baht]. Miss Nid believed him and gave him the money.

Miss Nid went on to say that she and her husband had made an appointment with Mr. Nya in Pattaya. When they eventually met he said he wanted more money ? 1000 US dollars in cash. By this point, Miss Nid and her husband realized that they were being cheated and would never get their money back. Miss Nid then called the police.

Initially, police officials arrested Mr. Nya and brought him to the police station for further questioning. Police revealed that they knew of a ?Black Money? gang operating in Pattaya which had carried out a similar scam several times before, but had so far been unable to obtain any further details. It is hoped the arrest of the Cameroon man will help with their investigations.

p3.jpg

THAI LADY DUPED BY ?BLACK MONEY? SCAM IN PATTAYA

Miss Nid told the police that she had previously met Mr. Frank Nya in Konkaen province. He had told her that he had run away from the war in his country to live in Pattaya. She claimed he had borrowed 500,000 baht from her assuring her he had the means to make fake bank notes. He told her the items he needed to do this were being held at the American embassy in Bangkok and he promised he would pay her back double [over one million baht]. Miss Nid believed him and gave him the money.

Miss Nid went on to say that she and her husband had made an appointment with Mr. Nya in Pattaya. When they eventually met he said he wanted more money ? 1000 US dollars in cash. By this point, Miss Nid and her husband realized that they were being cheated and would never get their money back. Miss Nid then called the police.

Initially, police officials arrested Mr. Nya and brought him to the police station for further questioning. Police revealed that they knew of a ?Black Money? gang operating in Pattaya which had carried out a similar scam several times before, but had so far been unable to obtain any further details. It is hoped the arrest of the Cameroon man will help with their investigations.

she went to the police and told the cops she'd given a guy 500,000 baht because he had assured her, he could make fake money !!

why the f**k isn't her ass slung in jail as well !!

she went to the police and told the cops she'd given a guy 500,000 baht because he had assured her, he could make fake money !!

why the f**k isn't her a*s slung in jail as well !!

Woah... your sympathy in this case is considerably less than your sympathy for the Australian thief.

The black money scam doesn't make fake money... it 'makes' real money.

The scam is that the only way for the refugee to get his legal money out of the country is by dyeing it black and hiding it from criminal elements and/or government.

They demonstrate cleaning some notes with a special formula and offer to sell some of the money and liquid to the pigeons.

Then when the suckers cough up money, they get a bag of plain, black paper and a couple of bottles of alcohol.

Almost certainly, the couple in this case are dodgy - trying to get something for nothing.

I used to do card tricks for money in a bar... and the biggest losers were always the ones who thought they were scamming me... my mentor taught me, 'You can't con an honest man.'

why the f**k isn't her a*s slung in jail as well !!

Woah... your sympathy in this case is considerably less than your sympathy for the Australian thief.

The black money scam doesn't make fake money... it 'makes' real money.

The scam is that the only way for the refugee to get his legal money out of the country is by dyeing it black and hiding it from criminal elements and/or government.

They demonstrate cleaning some notes with a special formula and offer to sell some of the money and liquid to the pigeons.

Then when the suckers cough up money, they get a bag of plain, black paper and a couple of bottles of alcohol.

Almost certainly, the couple in this case are dodgy - trying to get something for nothing.

I used to do card tricks for money in a bar... and the biggest losers were always the ones who thought they were scamming me... my mentor taught me, 'You can't con an honest man.'

well my lack of sympathy here is because she is reported as havin told the police "she'd given a guy 500,000 baht because he had assured her, he could make fake money" .... now i didn't know the details of the black money scam, but it seems an incredibly stupid think to go and tell the police !!!

and a slight difference in perspective ... she's obviously trying to get involved in something she believes to be illegal and we're talking about either 500,000 or 1 million baht ... as opposed to a drunken prank/theft involving less than 1,000 baht !!!

Man Visiting Every Starbucks Hits Snag

(MYFOX NATIONAL) - A man who embarked on a journey to visit every single Starbucks in the world is hitting a snag, and the economy is to blame.

Since late last year, the coffee chain has shuttered hundreds of stores due to the weak economy, and it's causing 37-year-old Winter a bit of stress. Since 1997, Winter has been slowly going down the checklist of all of the Starbucks in the world, and according to his Web site , he's visited 8,414 stores in North America and 664 internationally. His journey has been documented in the film " Starbucking ."

Last month Winter learned that a store in Prince George, British Columbia, would be closing the next day. He spent $1,400 to get to the store from Wisconsin just for a cup of coffee.

"If the store closed before I visited, I would lose another piece of my soul," Winter told the Wall Street Journal .

On his Twitter feed , Winter has had several posts in the past couple of months that express his panic. Starbucks usually doesn't reveal which stores will shutter until right before they do. "I live in continuous fear that one or more of the Starbucks I have not yet visited will close down," he wrote last November.

So he's now making it his main mission to tackle the stores that are facing impending doom. As store closures were being announced last July, Winter attempted to visit all of them, driving 25,000 miles through California, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana. Miraculously he got through all of them except for one in Hillsboro, Ore., because his mapping software on his laptop sent him to the wrong one. But missing that one store broke Winter's heart.

He's repeated this kind of trip several times now, to Hawaii, Canada and along the Mexico border, spending hundreds on airplane tickets and sleeping in cars.

Despite the adverse conditions, Winter, who works as a software contractor, says he believes he has found a purpose in his life. "People should be out doing something rather than just existing or surviving. Even if you think that what I'm doing is meaningless, it is a purpose, at least," he told the Journal . "I feel not just satisfaction, but genuine relief when I visit a store before it closes."

http://www.starbuckseverywhere.net/

DSCN6467.jpg

DSCN6491.jpg

^ Clearly one very obsessive and deranged person, most likely he works for the company. Who would want to go to ONE Starbucks let alone hundreds!!!

Continuing the theme of the week;

Russian woman convicted of alcohol breastmilk death Fri May 22, 2009

MOSCOW (Reuters) - A baby in Russia's Far East died from his drunken mother's breastmilk after she downed half a litre of ethanol before feeding him, the region's investigations committee said after sentencing the woman this week.

Yelena Sinitsyna was handed a one-year suspended sentence and a three-year probation period on Wednesday for death by negligence of her four-month old son in the small town of Sretensk, near China and six hours east of Moscow.

"On 3 April between 2 and 3 pm, she drank half a litre of spirit alcohol. In her drunken state she then breastfed her son," the committee said on its website www.zabsledkom.chita.ru."The immediate cause of the child's death, according to a forensic examination of the corpse, was acute ethanol poisoning."

Sinitsyna was given a relatively light sentence as she must care for her surviving toddler, it added.

Eighty percent of crimes committed in Russia are connected to alcohol consumption, the interior ministry said on Friday, citing a report it will publish soon. A spokesman at the ministry declined to comment on the Sinitsyna case.

The ruling court said Sinitsyna, if found to be an alcoholic, would receive treatment.

Russians are some of the world's heaviest drinkers and demographers often cite high alcohol consumption as a factor in the low life expectancy of Russian men. Campaigns to discourage alcohol consumption have persisted throughout Russian history from the time of the Tsars and through the Soviet era.

BERLIN, May 21 (UPI) -- Numerous neighbors of a 252-pound prostitute in Berlin are asking a judge to put her out of business because of the shaking of her apartment.

Tenants of the building where Ilnes Lorbach, 36, lives and legally entertains her prostitution clients told the Administrative Court in Berlin the sex worker's lovemaking causes their apartments to shake, the British tabloid The Sun reported Thursday.

One neighbor told the court a pair of valuable Baccarat crystal glasses fell from a shelf and broke as a result of the shaking.

Carolso Hoffmann, who lives next door to Lorbach, compared his living situation to "that film 'Earthquake.'"

"I don't know if the earth moved for her clients but it did for us," he said. "When you have a 100-plus kilo women grappling like a wildebeest with her clients then you know about it, you really do. She's a one-woman demolition job."

Lorbach told the court she is "a mother and as a working woman," attempts to be "as discreet as possible."

The judge in the case reserved judgment for "a later date."

BERLIN, May 21 (UPI) -- Numerous neighbors of a 252-pound prostitute in Berlin are asking a judge to put her out of business because of the shaking of her apartment.

Tenants of the building where Ilnes Lorbach, 36, lives and legally entertains her prostitution clients told the Administrative Court in Berlin the sex worker's lovemaking causes their apartments to shake, the British tabloid The Sun reported Thursday.

One neighbor told the court a pair of valuable Baccarat crystal glasses fell from a shelf and broke as a result of the shaking.

Carolso Hoffmann, who lives next door to Lorbach, compared his living situation to "that film 'Earthquake.'"

"I don't know if the earth moved for her clients but it did for us," he said. "When you have a 100-plus kilo women grappling like a wildebeest with her clients then you know about it, you really do. She's a one-woman demolition job."

Lorbach told the court she is "a mother and as a working woman," attempts to be "as discreet as possible."

The judge in the case reserved judgment for "a later date."

555, I needed a good laugh...this one definitely did it for me. I hope her customers don't pay by the pound!