what is changing faster ....

harti

To many McDonalds, KFCs, Pizza Hut or Burger Kings each and everywhere.

"You are what you eat"

I'm becoming a cheese burger and sometimes a clown too :lol: In Patong alone we have 2 Burger King, 3 McDonalds, 4 Subway, 2 Pizza Company, 5 Starbucks. I count them just for fun. Though I don't have a gut counting 7/11 and Family Mart :roll:

"You are what you eat"

I'm becoming a cheese burger and sometimes a clown too :lol: In Patong alone we have 2 Burger King, 3 McDonalds, 4 Subway, 2 Pizza Company, 5 Starbucks. I count them just for fun. Though I don't have a gut counting 7/11 and Family Mart :roll:

BTW... Jungceylon mentioned a new McDonalds is coming to the ground floor, behind Subway and True Coffee.

"You are what you eat"

I'm getting peckish...

:twisted:

"You are what you eat"

Its what the people want, sad but true.

"You are what you eat"

BTW... Jungceylon mentioned a new McDonalds is coming to the ground floor, behind Subway and True Coffee.

Looking forward to new Mcdonalds :D By the way, there are 2 KFC, 2 Haagen Daz. Guess I need additional Zen & Fuji Restaurant in Patong. Hmm...just my private joke :lol:

"You are what you eat"

Looking forward to new Mcdonalds :D By the way, there are 2 KFC, 2 Haagen Daz. Guess I need additional Zen & Fuji Restaurant in Patong. Hmm...just my private joke :lol:

Sounds like there needs to be another Tsunami to wipe out the 2 Burger King, 3 McDonalds, 4 Subway, 2 Pizza Company, 2 KFC, 2 Haagen Daz and especially the 5 Starwanks.

But with plenty of advanced warning so everyone safely evacuates including the soi dogs and there is no death. (Apols to any new nightclub which may have just opened).

"You are what you eat"

Sounds like there needs to be another Tsunami to wipe out the 2 Burger King, 3 McDonalds, 4 Subway, 2 Pizza Company, 2 KFC, 2 Haagen Daz and especially the 5 Starwanks.

But with plenty of advanced warning so everyone safely evacuates including the soi dogs and there is no death. (Apols to any new nightclub which may have just opened).

After Tsunami 2004, it hasn't changed the face of Patong. Contrarily, it thrives.

Before Tsunami

1 Starbuck

2 Subway

1 McDonalds

0 Burger King

1 Haagen Daz

2 KFC

1 Pizza Company

1 Zen

After Tsunami

5 Starbuck

4 Subway

3 McDonalds

2 Burger King

2 Haagen Daz

3 KFC

2 Pizza Company

1 Zen

1 Fuji

After the disaster, the expansion is much more stronger :wink:

And new entertainment center is further inland, the sole reason there is no available space near the beach anymore. They're building new entertainment center in Soi San Sabai just opposite to Soi Bangla and also opposite to Bansaan market.

Voila!

"You are what you eat"

...and peoples' livelihoods and homes, etc, etc, etc

What a humanitarian! Awesome! :roll:

And you went off on me for making an off remark about joy riding around Kabul.

Oh ye of great hypocrisy.

"You are what you eat"

...and peoples' livelihoods and homes, etc, etc, etc

What a humanitarian! Awesome! :roll:

And you went off on me for making an off remark about joy riding around Kabul.

Oh ye of great hypocrisy.

Umm, I have freely admitted to being a hypocrite on some issues on TF (See the Climate Change thread for an example). There seems to be only a few here that cannot admit their hypocrisy. :roll:

As usual you take yourself and everything here way too seriously. Most understood the wit of the post which is why is sat there for over a week without comment until Mr Serious JD came along. Relax a little Dave and save the sparring for the political issues.

The difference between your post last year stating, 'I find it exciting driving in Kabul and potentiallly having a car bomb go off or potentially being kidnapped' (In the thread 'What excites you'), is that you were clearly serious in what you posted. My post is obviously not.

I've admitted that my hypocrisy knows no bounds freely and plentifully. Apparently, you've skipped those threads.

I do not apologize for the times that I've taken my own life in my own hands. I did so freely and without much care. I don't regret a second.

That said, you blew that one up to a degree not seen since the little boy cried wolf.

What I stated and how you took it were completely divergent.

I drove around Kabul in a period of time wherein there were relatively few dangers to myself, my fellow passengers or to the local Kabuli. Bombs weren't going off at that time as they would a year later. During that 8 month stretch of time, the French were hit twice on the roads that I was driving and those incidents occurred some 5 miles south of me and further on out of town. There were no incidents inside the city at all. As for kidnappings, I'd heard of one in and around Kabul at that time.

It's all about situational awareness.

I'd drive around Herat alone if my employers didn't care. It's simply not that dangerous.

There are NGO workers and even an occasional tourist walking the streets of Herat. I've met them. Talked to them.

When I was driving the streets of Kabul to go pick up decent groceries and a couple of bottles of booze, the same could be said of Kabul.

You simply didn't stop to think about that before you jumped the gun and flew onto your high horse to preach.

The situation in Afghanistan, as well as in Iraq is very much fluid and ever changing. The danger is not always as great as the international press often overstates it to be. As one who claims to have been in these types of environments should know.

I've admitted that my hypocrisy knows no bounds freely and plentifully. Apparently, you've skipped those threads.

I do not apologize for the times that I've taken my own life in my own hands. I did so freely and without much care. I don't regret a second.

That said, you blew that one up to a degree not seen since the little boy cried wolf.

What I stated and how you took it were completely divergent.

I drove around Kabul in a period of time wherein there were relatively few dangers to myself, my fellow passengers or to the local Kabuli. Bombs weren't going off at that time as they would a year later. During that 8 month stretch of time, the French were hit twice on the roads that I was driving and those incidents occurred some 5 miles south of me and further on out of town. There were no incidents inside the city at all. As for kidnappings, I'd heard of one in and around Kabul at that time.

It's all about situational awareness.

I'd drive around Herat alone if my employers didn't care. It's simply not that dangerous.

There are NGO workers and even an occasional tourist walking the streets of Herat. I've met them. Talked to them.

When I was driving the streets of Kabul to go pick up decent groceries and a couple of bottles of booze, the same could be said of Kabul.

You simply didn't stop to think about that before you jumped the gun and flew onto your high horse to preach.

The situation in Afghanistan, as well as in Iraq is very much fluid and ever changing. The danger is not always as great as the international press often overstates it to be. As one who claims to have been in these types of environments should know.

If you remember, I worked in Kabul and other parts of Afghanistan for nearly a year and a half (in 03/04) before you arrived. You will also recall that I mentioned a car bomb going off on Jalalabad road outside our compound (Jan 04) which targetted an ISAF convoy and blew car and body parts (A UK soldier) into our compound whilst blowing out all of the windows in the large compound. Other car bombs were detonated during my time there and once our convoy was lucky to avoid one such bomb, rockets attacks were numerous and often we were forced to stay at home for days due to the security threats. Other threats too numerous to detail occured.

I also had 3 international colleagues from my office (one a good friend) who were kidnapped for one month by Taliban elements in Oct 04. I honestly thought I would not see them again but thankfully they were released. I number of our afghan staff and international colleagues were killed in various incidents during 04 prior to the Presidential Elections. It was not a nice place physically to work but the Afghans are wonderful and hospitable people in general and the socio- politics and history is profoundly interesting. Much of the interior of the country is spectacular.

I don't doubt that the situation there now is worse than my time there. Herat seems still pretty good to me than the south and east. I have many colleagues there so I do keep in touch but your there and I am not.

The thread was a general query "What excites you".

To paraphrase, you responded in a serious manner that you were 'excited by being exposed to car bombs when driving in Kabul' and you mentiond the threat of kidnapping. To me it was incredulous that someone with a military background would seriously express such a reckless and stupid statement which at the time indicated to me an unprofessional disposition in relation to security matters.

Why would anyone willingly expose themselves to such risks and thus potentially endanger their colleagues???? I called you on your post, being someone who has some situational insight into the context and you have been upset ever since.

(You deleted your heretic profile not long after so the post was likewise deleted but perhaps it is still there somewhere?).

I mentioned at the time the very real tragedy that such acts inflict upon ordinary Afghans whilst we (internationals) have our relative protection. We can leave when we want, they cannot. I would respond the same to anyone else who posted such stupid crap as I guess I take such seriously considering what I have seen and out of respect to the colleagues who have died there.