How did you end up in Thailand ?

LasseDK

Question

I know alot of you are living in Thailand today - whats your story ? how did you end up living what appears to be the dream for alot of people ? what do you do for a living ?

Or maybe you are close to doing it - or planning to do it - then share your plans to achieve it ?

( this is a thread not for those who was born and raised there :P )

• Answers 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I

Stayed there on and off for 5 years then didn't like what I was becoming

What were you becoming? (if you don't mind me asking)

A drug fulled twisted skin cancer diving instructor drop out with no future.

So you're not a diving instructor anymore?

:lol::lol::lol:

I'll do anything for money..... you know that!

I

Stayed there on and off for 5 years then didn't like what I was becoming

What were you becoming? (if you don't mind me asking)

A drug fulled twisted skin cancer diving instructor drop out with no future.

So you're not a diving instructor anymore?

:lol::lol::lol:

I'll do anything for money..... you know that!

All too well...

And your prices went up recently too, but the quality is still the same.

:shock: :roll: :shock:

I know alot of you are living in Thailand today - whats your story ? how did you end up living what appears to be the dream for alot of people ? what do you do for a living ?

Or maybe you are close to doing it - or planning to do it - then share your plans to achieve it ?

This may come as a surprise, but I really want to be a teacher. I did my undergraduate degree in child psychology,

Ah, the perfect training for being admin on TF. :)

Ideally I'd like to have enough of a passive income to go into teaching and live comfortably. Still working on that goal. :)

You seem to be on your way and there is not much more important in life than education for others, so best of luck.

This may come as a surprise, but I really want to be a teacher. I did my undergraduate degree in child psychology,

Ah, the perfect training for being admin on TF. :)

Ideally I'd like to have enough of a passive income to go into teaching and live comfortably. Still working on that goal. :)

You seem to be on your way and there is not much more important in life than education for others, so best of luck.

Haha, and thank you.

I'm on my way, but still haven't gotten on the highway yet. Little traffic jams here and there are slowing me down.

Enjoying the ride, though!

Have to agree with LG - if you can cope with TF members you can cope with any dysfunctional child out there.

Loving this thread; some great tales. Especially like Bruce's sailing adventure! And I thought sailing up the West coast of Scotland had been adventurous!!

I first did Thailand in 95; 2 weeks in Phuket. Didn't do much that time but gave me the taste for coming back.

First did Samui and Pha Ngang in 98. Loved the full moons (as Chris said it wasn't so bad then) In fact I have probably walked past Chris then and laughed at the mess he was in.

I came back a year later for 6 weeks and sacrificed luggage weight for a big bag of records. Pimped myself round the usual Samui haunts but was getting nowhere till out one night and noticed all the Thai staff were grinning at my t shirt (from a famous Glasgow club called Test) which said 'Kill all DJs'. English guy came over and explained that they thought it meant I hated DJs, I explained it was ironic, he said he was living and dj'ing there, I said I had tunes with me, he invited me to play some sets. I ended up making friends with the owner of the bar and he invited me to come back the next year and work for him.

Came back in 2000, played at a few Samui haunts and at The Backyard post full moon 2 day bashes and at the half and black moons. (imho the Black Moon parties at Macs Bay is the only place that still has the old atmosphere)

2 idyllic years (though was growing bored with Samui) then evil nasty horrible ex gf moaned about feeling homesick so, rather than waving her on a plane as I should have done, we came home. :(

any Thailand based job offers will be gladly accepted. :lol:

If it wasn't for my kids I would seriously consider it...then again I'd probably miss the sheep....

Specially designed for the Kiwi away from home

inflatable-sheep.jpg

may I ask you a question ?

how did you get that photo ? what was the key words you put in?

....well....I exactly want to ask "what were you looking for then you got this photo?"

I just wonder ....

If it wasn't for my kids I would seriously consider it...then again I'd probably miss the sheep....

inflatable-sheep.jpg

may I ask you a question ?

how did you get that photo ? what was the key words you put in?

....well....I exactly want to ask "what were you looking for then you got this photo?"

I just wonder ....

simply go to google images and type 'Kiwi's best friend'

:lol:

inflatable-sheep.jpg

I'm happy to confess....I have two in the kitchen...one in the lounge and three in the bedroom....someone has to fill them up...freeze them and send them to Scotland for you guys to eat....notice how they are off colour by the time you get them?

Let me know if your short?.....i'll send you some virgins......I mean one's I haven't played with.....now's a good time....we just about to finish lambing season....there will be 18 million new one's to choose from....this is your lucky day.....

To be honest am not a big fan of lamb (in a culinary sense).

However, if I was, would be more likely to purchase Welsh lamb, purely because of the smaller carbon footprint involved in transportation, though I would concede that NZ lamb is recognised as the more quality product, especially when marked with the 'not violated by Ngairo' rosette. :wink:

However, if I was, would be more likely to purchase Welsh lamb, purely because of the smaller carbon footprint involved in transportation, though I would concede that NZ lamb is recognised as the more quality product, especially when marked with the 'not violated by Ngairo' rosette. :wink:

You'll be a great fan of the ones I have raised....and not in a culinary sense either.....

As apposed to the Welsh variety....I can ship them out still with their short skirts and bikini tops on so you can pop them straight in your bed....just to keep them warm....they come complete with a bbq rotisserie attachment and a salt shaker so you can seriously deal to them when your fantasising a bit of cannibalism....the kit comes complete with tissues and massage oil.....

I've got a couple about your size.....you'd love them...hey....cause we are mates....you pay the insurance....and their yours......don't be shy now......

You'll be a great fan of the ones I have raised....and not in a culinary sense either.....

As apposed to the Welsh variety....I can ship them out still with their short skirts and bikini tops on so you can pop them straight in your bed....just to keep them warm....they come complete with a bbq rotisserie attachment and a salt shaker so you can seriously deal to them when your fantasising a bit of cannibalism....the kit comes complete with tissues and massage oil.....

I've got a couple about your size.....you'd love them...hey....cause we are mates....you pay the insurance....and their yours......don't be shy now......

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Still not interested, not in a culinary way, nor in a sexual way.

However; I do sense a business opportunity. Can you ship some to Wales? If so I will tie 4 at a time to fence posts throughout the Welsh Valleys and call them 'leisure centres'.

:lol:

my story begins in '95 when is was weee 8

my dad got a job at a university as an engineeer

family followed suit

went through elementary

got through highschool

got awesome at thai and the thai way

recently completed bacherlors at Chula

now just finished my first week at a big company called Sodexo, working as communication assistant . . .

14 years later and 21, here i stand.

loving it.

was heading for Dublin and stupidly let the girlfriend navigate!

:twisted:

You just refused to stop asking for directions when she told you to do so. So, it ain't her fault then. :P

Have you ever tried arguing with a woman when she thinks she's right???

:roll:

there's another way :shock:

was heading for Dublin and stupidly let the girlfriend navigate!

You just refused to stop asking for directions when she told you to do so. So, it ain't her fault then. :P

Have you ever tried arguing with a woman when she thinks she's right???

:roll:

there's another way :shock:

yes Gerry, but murder is illegal...

my story begins in '95 when is was weee 8

my dad got a job at a university as an engineeer

family followed suit

went through elementary

got through highschool

got awesome at thai and the thai way

recently completed bacherlors at Chula

now just finished my first week at a big company called Sodexo, working as communication assistant . . .

14 years later and 21, here i stand.

loving it.

14 + 8 = 22

;)