How did you end up in Thailand ?

LasseDK

Question

I know alot of you are living in Thailand today - whats your story ? how did you end up living what appears to be the dream for alot of people ? what do you do for a living ?

Or maybe you are close to doing it - or planning to do it - then share your plans to achieve it ?

( this is a thread not for those who was born and raised there :P )

• Answers 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

In February 1982, a "friend" and me woke up on a monday morning after a party weekend in Oslo. We have talked about Rio before and that morning the TV reminded us about that, the carnival was on and just i flight away. After a good breakfest, mostly beer, we went down to the travel shop and asked for tickets to Rio, ASAP..

That was not so easy, first flight out was 3 days later and the price was crazy. And we wanted to go somewhere fun and warm today!

In the shop they had a world map and the agent had darts, so we tried our luck with them. I hit the Atlantic ocean and my friend the Siam bay.

I am not sure if that was a "bullseye", but the agent had tickets to Bangkok the same day, so of we went in a hurry.

Have not lived there since that, but spent many years, and still are, to figure out what makes me go back, again and again..

And this was a reminder, 25 years later I have still not been in Rio..

So I have to say, I am LOST in LOS..

was heading for Dublin and stupidly let the girlfriend navigate!

:twisted:

You just refused to stop asking for directions when she told you to do so. So, it ain't her fault then. :P

Have you ever tried arguing with a woman when she thinks she's right???

:roll:

Why, have you ever met a women who thought she may not be right??? :shock:

And whilst I would like to answer your question with a: no, I'm to clever than to argue with a women, I do admit I too fall repeatedly into that trap to try and do exactly that. :oops:

(But I still can navigate my way around Europe...it must be in the genes. :wink: )

In February 1982, a "friend" and me woke up on a monday morning after a party weekend in Oslo. We have talked about Rio before and that morning the TV reminded us about that, the carnival was on and just i flight away. After a good breakfest, mostly beer, we went down to the travel shop and asked for tickets to Rio, ASAP..

That was not so easy, first flight out was 3 days later and the price was crazy. And we wanted to go somewhere fun and warm today!

In the shop they had a world map and the agent had darts, so we tried our luck with them. I hit the Atlantic ocean and my friend the Siam bay.

I am not sure if that was a "bullseye", but the agent had tickets to Bangkok the same day, so of we went in a hurry.

Have not lived there since that, but spent many years, and still are, to figure out what makes me go back, again and again..

And this was a reminder, 25 years later I have still not been in Rio..

So I have to say, I am LOST in LOS..

I love that: A world map with some darts inside a travel agency.

That's something you'd probably never see in the USA.

You just refused to stop asking for directions when she told you to do so. So, it ain't her fault then. :P

And whilst I would like to answer your question with a: no, I'm to clever than to argue with a women, I do admit I too fall repeatedly into that trap to try and do exactly that. :oops:

(But I still can navigate my way around Europe...it must be in the genes. :wink: )

Yes but put only in a panzer :wink: Stick you in a family sallon and you're as lost as the rest of us.

:lol:

Yes but put only in a panzer :wink: Stick you in a family sallon and you're as lost as the rest of us.

If it wasn't for us or the Japanese building them, you wouldn't know what a 'family sallon' was. :P

If it wasn't for us or the Japanese building them, you wouldn't know what a 'family sallon' was. :P

vorsprung durch annexation??

my story begins in '95 when is was weee 8

my dad got a job at a university as an engineeer

family followed suit

went through elementary

got through highschool

got awesome at thai and the thai way

recently completed bacherlors at Chula

now just finished my first week at a big company called Sodexo, working as communication assistant . . .

14 years later and 21, here i stand.

loving it.

this is not how clever are you thread...

14 + 8 = 22

;)

I had been travelling around the world extensively for apprx 5y, keeping an eye on what place might be the one for me to get away from the cold scandinavian winters.

After serious contemplating, I decided on Philippines, Boracay Island to be precise.

While still in Philippines, I was already holding not just a return ticket from Manila to Europe but also back to Manila but I was in the internet cafe doing what I had done for so many years already, looking for cheap flights.

It so happened that Lufthansa was celebrating their 50th B'day and were selling all tickets 50% off for 2 days. I had 3 weeks until my return to Manila and my flight was via AMS and HAM to an undisclosed Scandinavian destination.

Tried to find an exotic destination to fly to but couldn't. Spoke to my friend who said he'd be in BKK off to Phuket in 2 days time so I booked a flight from FRA to BKK.

I flew from Manila to Amsterdam to Hamburg, had B'fast & shower in the lounge for a few hrs, then back off to Frankfurt and eventually via Bangkok to Phuket. One could say that was somewhat going around the houses from Manila to Phuket.

In Phuket I stumbled upon a girl of the flesh trade and though she was off duty, I knew what or who she was but thought of course that " Mine is different" so I stuck with her and changed my mind. Came to Thailand instead of Philippines.

She was a major mistake, as if that wasn't obvious, but I learned my lessons from just 1 try. Generally a hooker makes a rather poor GF or wife. Doesn't really take a rocket scientist to realise that but speaks heaps of my wisdom, huh?

Anyway, she's long gone, thank God, but I'm still here. So far.

Can't say I like it very much though, the longer I stay the less I like it so eventually I will leave. Recent events may expedite that departure, or they may not, but I know it is unavoidable.

Thailand is neither a country or nor a society I feel comfortable in or with and since I'm in no position to have any impact on it, I'll seek greener pastures elsewhere.

I never chose to come here in the first place, I just made a bad choice in regard to a female companion and got sort of stuck here.