WTF?--- News hot off the press that makes you say--- WTF?

GoodKarma

Religious row as Orthodox Jewish couple sue neighbours for 'imprisoning' them with automatic hallway light;

A Jewish couple are suing their neighbours in a block of flats, saying an automatic security light is keeping them prisoner in their home because it forces them to break their Sabbath rules.

Dr Dena Coleman and husband Gordon claim they cannot leave their holiday flat on the Sabbath because when they do they automatically trigger the light in the communal hallway - contravening a religious ban on turning on electrical items from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday because it constitutes 'creating fire'.

They say their human rights are being breached and are now suing the flats' management company - their neighbours - for failing to accommodate their religion.

The other 35 owners of the seaside flats are liable to pay court costs if the claim is successful.

Dr Coleman, a 56-year-old headteacher at a Jewish orthodox school in London, has been visiting the £200,000 holiday flat in Bournemouth, Dorset, with her husband for six years.

The management company fitted the motion-sensing lights six months ago in a bid to save energy and money.

The Colemans have offered to pay for an override switch to disable the light sensors during the Sabbath.

But the Embassy Court Management Company - which represents all residents and whose three directors also live in the block - said this would set an 'unacceptable precedent'.

In a letter sent to occupants of all of the other 35 apartments in the block, the Colemans said: 'Faced with a situation where we could never again have full use of our flat, we were left with no alternative but to seek legal advice.'

The couple said they would drop the case if an override switch was installed and the management company paid their legal costs and compensation.

The argument has sparked controversy between the other residents.

One resident, who did not want to be named, said: 'It has caused quite a stir here, there have been a lot of arguments.

'There has been a meeting about it and many of the residents aren't happy.

'There's a feeling that things shouldn't be changed just to suit people in one flat when everyone else is happy with it.

'I don't think the rest of us would think twice about the lights but they're going to great lengths to get it changed so they must feel very strongly about it.'

The couple say they only moved into the flat in spring 2003 on the understanding that movement sensors would never be installed in communal areas.

They have now issued a county court writ against the management company, saying they have discriminated against them on the grounds of religion.

The claim also accuses the company of breaching their rights under the Equality Act 2006 and Human Rights Act 1998.

In a statement the company said: 'The directors believe that almost all lessees at Embassy Court support the actions taken by the management company to reduce communal lighting electricity costs, and to reduce repair and maintenance costs by preventing heat damage to light fittings and prolonging their life.

'The directors further believe that almost all lessees support the installation of movement sensor controls in the hallways and have no personal problems with their installations.

'Unfortunately correspondence between directors and lessees concerned failed to resolve the dispute.

'Clearly the lessees [the Colemans] felt so strongly that their rights may have been infringed by the management company that they decided to take legal action. That is their prerogative.

'A key allegation in this claim is that the movement sensors installed in the hallway discriminate against the claimants, who are orthodox Jews, on the grounds of their religion and belief.

'The lessees also allege in the claim that when they purchased their flat in the spring of 2003 it was on the basis of assurances from selling agents that that movement sensors would not be installed at Embassy Court.

'Although other lessees are innocent parties in this legal dispute, in accordance with the lease, the Management Company's expenses reasonably incurred in these legal proceedings with be recoverable from all lessees in the service charge, to the extent that these expenses are not paid by the other parties to the proceedings.'

The case is due to be heard at Bournemouth County Couty later this year.

Dr Coleman is the headteacher at Yavneh College in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, the author of several books on education.

damn those motion detector light switches!!!

:lol:

A pensioner died after a "collision" with a zebra while on holiday in Africa, a coroner has said.

Eileen Whale, 77, of Ipswich, was in Kenya with husband Charles late last year when the incident occurred and died in hospital in Ipswich in February, said coroner Peter Dean.

An inquest was due to take place on Wednesday to examine the circumstances around Mrs Whale's death but Dr Dean adjourned the hearing to a date to be fixed, saying further inquiries needed to take place.

He said the hearing was adjourned following discussions with Mrs Whale's relatives.

Dr Dean said the cause of death given when Mrs Whale's inquest was opened earlier this year was pancreatitis.

It is understood that doctors will try to establish any links between injuries caused as a result of the zebra collision and her death.

As most men know, you should always be careful of a bunny woman;

An "obsessed bunny lady" who was convicted of neglect after hundreds of rabbits were found in her US home has been arrested again. Miriam Sakewitz was nabbed after an employee at the Oregon hotel where she was staying allegedly found 14 rabbits hopping around her room, the Associated Press reports.

A police spokesman said animal welfare officers took away eight adult rabbits, five young ones and one dead rabbit from the room. It is yet another episode in Sakewitz?s long and troubled history with the furry little animals.

In October 2006, police found almost 250 rabbits in her Oregon home, including 100 dead ones inside fridges and freezers. The 47-year-old later broke into the holding facility where the live rabbits were being cared for and stole most of them back.

Police swooped on her several days later, finding eight rabbits and two carcasses in her car. The rest were recovered at a horse farm. The animals that died suffered from neglect and abuse, police said. The animals that remained alive suffered starvation, dehydration and health problems caused by being stuffed in cages and seldom let out.

As most men know, you should always be careful of a bunny woman;

An "obsessed bunny lady" who was convicted of neglect after hundreds of rabbits were found in her US home has been arrested again. Miriam Sakewitz was nabbed after an employee at the Oregon hotel where she was staying allegedly found 14 rabbits hopping around her room, the Associated Press reports.

A police spokesman said animal welfare officers took away eight adult rabbits, five young ones and one dead rabbit from the room. It is yet another episode in Sakewitz?s long and troubled history with the furry little animals.

In October 2006, police found almost 250 rabbits in her Oregon home, including 100 dead ones inside fridges and freezers. The 47-year-old later broke into the holding facility where the live rabbits were being cared for and stole most of them back.

Police swooped on her several days later, finding eight rabbits and two carcasses in her car. The rest were recovered at a horse farm. The animals that died suffered from neglect and abuse, police said. The animals that remained alive suffered starvation, dehydration and health problems caused by being stuffed in cages and seldom let out.

so...there were FOURTEEN rabbits hopping round her room, and welfare officers took away EIGHT adult rabbits, FIVE babies, and ONE DEAD ONE.

was number 14 hopper a ghost?

:wink:

in a plot to rival the Hitchcock classic "Psycho".

well not really...

I mean, he was only cashing her benefit cheques, not slashing young girls to death in a shower, so the plot couldn't have been more different to Psycho, and quite unlilkely to make a decent film script.

:twisted:

FFS .... nit picking over minor details r we now Iain !! :roll:

the daily mail would have u believe cashing benefit cheques and murder should be on a par !!

in a plot to rival the Hitchcock classic "Psycho".

well not really...

I mean, he was only cashing her benefit cheques, not slashing young girls to death in a shower, so the plot couldn't have been more different to Psycho, and quite unlilkely to make a decent film script.

:twisted:

FFS .... nit picking over minor details r we now Iain !! :roll:

the daily mail would have u believe cashing benefit cheques and murder should be on a par !!

It's all in the detail mate. And let's face it; in the believability stakes, the Daily Mail is only a step or 2 away from the Sunday Sport!!

:lol:

Following media reports last week that an elephant from Mae Taeng?s Pang Pa Ka Elephant Camp had died from eating vegetables contaminated with pesticides and that two more elephants were missing, veterinarians from the Lampang Elephant Conservation Centre have been sent to inspect the area to determine the source of the contamination.

Mighty strong pesticides, WTF OVER!!!

This is one totally f*cked up week, and 50 looks like a bad number to mess with. :sweatdrop:

I know cocoa I agree :wink:

Ladies watch out...Bikini Wax- I already showed this article to my girlfriend.

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100240299&gt1=31036

good samaritian

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31610587/ns/us_news-life/?GT1=43001

MJ's kids awarded to his mother as long as she keeps them away from his father ~hes a scarry dude

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/29/michael.jackson/index.html

robber caught covered in peptol bismol

http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/news/local/6536153.html

man upset at mcdonalds order calls 911 repeatedly

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/49384452.html

Glastonbury 2009 photos

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/06/glastonbury_2009.html?fark

flight cancelled over pilots indescretion

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090630a5.html

Looks a lot like today's version of a Woodstock (with more beer and less drugs).

and a lot better organised and enough food to go round.

That's a great set of pics; I love the one of the guy lying on the ground, completely off his face, on the night BEFORE the festival started!!!

I did my first Glasto in '83; there were 20,000 people, we were able to park and camp on the same spot around 200 yards from the main stage. LSD was 2 quid a pop, you could get a quarter of afghan black for ten quid and a flagon of Somerset scrumpy (home made cider) was around 3 quid for 6 pints.

Now - 190,000, 5 mile walk from your car to get to your tent then another mile or 2 to the stage, you can't find LSD, skunk is 40 quid a quarter and a pint of beer is about 4 quid.

:D

Looks a lot like today's version of a Woodstock (with more beer and less drugs).

That's a great set of pics; I love the one of the guy lying on the ground, completely off his face, on the night BEFORE the festival started!!!

I did my first Glasto in '83; there were 20,000 people, we were able to park and camp on the same spot around 200 yards from the main stage. LSD was 2 quid a pop, you could get a quarter of afghan black for ten quid and a flagon of Somerset scrumpy (home made cider) was around 3 quid for 6 pints.

Now - 190,000, 5 mile walk from your car to get to your tent then another mile or 2 to the stage, you can't find LSD, skunk is 40 quid a quarter and a pint of beer is about 4 quid.

Wow really IMAB

20,000 its now 190,00 that is the population of some small american towns. that is unbelievable amount of people. those are some really

great candid photos too. and people actually walk 5 miles geez.. the festival looks like a lotta fun. im sure it has a woodstock like atmosphere though..

Wow really IMAB

20,000 its now 190,00 that is the population of some small american towns. that is unbelievable amount of people. those are some really

great candid photos too. and people actually walk 5 miles geez.. the festival looks like a lotta fun. im sure it has a woodstock like atmosphere though..

to be honest, no. It has become very commercial and over hyped - still great music though. There are still some areas, such as the stone circle and the green field, which retain that old hippy festival atmosphere, and there are also some pretty wacky areas and installations such as those by the Mutoid Waste Company (beej will know who they are) but generally it's overpriced food and beer, and tens of thousands of middle class students in pristine tents (well pristine on 1st day anyway)

I wont go back now - though am p*ssed off as Gong was playing this year and Daevid Allen is 77 now, so doubt there will be too many more chances to see him, along with Steve Hillage band -there are far better festivals on the UK circuit - Wickerman, Glade, Bestival, Big Chill - better because they still have that festival atmosphere Glato used to have.

:)

Wow really IMAB

to be honest, no. It has become very commercial and over hyped - still great music though. There are still some areas, such as the stone circle and the green field, which retain that old hippy festival atmosphere, and there are also some pretty wacky areas and installations such as those by the Mutoid Waste Company (beej will know who they are) but generally it's overpriced food and beer, and tens of thousands of middle class students in pristine tents (well pristine on 1st day anyway)

I wont go back now - though am p*ssed off as Gong was playing this year and Daevid Allen is 77 now, so doubt there will be too many more chances to see him, along with Steve Hillage band -there are far better festivals on the UK circuit - Wickerman, Glade, Bestival, Big Chill - better because they still have that festival atmosphere Glato used to have.

pity corporations tend to franchise everything don't they. look at transformers that's a good example no originality anymore. you know it grossed over 400 million over the weekend unbelievable green. so hes 77 not sure who he is though what songs did he make popular? I know did you see tom jones with his very gray beard. my aunt talks about him she says she listened to him when she was younger

Wow really IMAB

pity corporations tend to franchise everything don't they. look at transformers that's a good example no originality anymore. you know it grossed over 400 million over the weekend unbelievable green. so hes 77 not sure who he is though what songs did he make popular? I know did you see tom jones with his very gray beard. my aunt talks about him she says she listened to him when she was younger

Daevid Allen is a very mad old Aussie guy who's been part of the hippy band 'Gong' for over 40 years - quite strange band, should get something on youtube - dount if you can say they were ever popular per se.

Saw Sir Tom few years back when he played last - great way to spend a sunday afternoon!!

I watched a lot of last weekend's on BBC3 and on interactive - Springsteen was amazing, Neil Young was so-so, The Prodigy rocked and Lily Allen was just freaking gorgeous!!